Menu

What would you do if you wanted to learn physics and chemistry properly?

1 minute ago, lewelma said:

You could do lots of little problems (like the organic one I gave above), but you are unlikely to build a holistic understanding on the first go.

This is where I was hoping someone out there compiled a list of problems that would guide me through things 😄 . Because some the big problems you give are kind of... intimidating, lol. I am not scared to tackle them, but I also know it would be a really big time investment. So it causes inertia, you know? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

This is where I was hoping someone out there compiled a list of problems that would guide me through things 😄 . 

Well, I have definitely used the exams I posted to work through both Chemistry and Physics. First, I do a quick overview of the subtopic by reading the 2-4 or so chapters and not doing any problems (so the EM chapters for physics, or the equilibrium chapters for chem). Then, I tackle the exams, which of course I can't do because I haven't done any problems in the chapter, but the questions on the exams are much more global and complicated than the bitsy problems in and at the end of the chapter. I go back into the chapter and learn what I need to learn to be able to answer these big picture global problems. So for example the chemistry question I posted earlier requires a full chapter of knowledge to be learned and synthesized. I don't like doing tiny little questions that are so basic as to be mind numbing. So I tackle the big question on the exam to direct my learning in that subfield, and I find that keeping the big picture in view, I can make short work of integrating all the little bits into a whole.  I also like that I know that once I can do 3 exams, I really have the content, and then each year I review by doing another exam.  The goal is very clear. Do an exam. I'm not buried in a year's work of homework assignments that are designed for much younger people who don't have the kind of study skill set that I have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Well, I have definitely used the exams I posted to work through both Chemistry and Physics. First, I do a quick overview of the subtopic by reading the 2-4 or so chapters and not doing any problems (so the EM chapters for physics, or the equilibrium chapters for chem). Then, I tackle the exams, which of course I can't do because I haven't done any problems in the chapter, but the questions on the exams are much more global and complicated than the bitsy problems in and at the end of the chapter. I go back into the chapter and learn what I need to learn to be able to answer these big picture global problems. So for example the chemistry question I posted earlier requires a full chapter of knowledge to be learned and synthesized. I don't like doing tiny little questions that are so basic as to be mind numbing. So I tackle the big question on the exam to direct my learning in that subfield, and I find that keeping the big picture in view, I can make short work of integrating all the little bits into a whole.  I also like that I know that once I can do 3 exams, I really have the content, and then each year I review by doing another exam.  The goal is very clear. Do an exam. I'm not buried in a year's work of homework assignments that are designed for much younger people who don't have the kind of study skill set that I have. 

Cool, thank you. This sounds like a good plan for me, actually. I really appreciate the suggestion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Cool, thank you. This sounds like a good plan for me, actually. I really appreciate the suggestion. 

The key is that you have to get big picture exams, not bitsy ones. So you need to choose carefully. And you need to have good answers for all the essay questions to make sure that you have ALL the bits integrated into a whole. I like the NZ exams for this reason.  They have them for physics and Bio also. Same site.

11 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The key is that you have to get big picture exams, not bitsy ones. So you need to choose carefully. And you need to have good answers for all the essay questions to make sure that you have ALL the bits integrated into a whole. I like the NZ exams for this reason.  They have them for physics and Bio also. Same site.

I'll take a look. I was kind of wondering if any of the contest-y things people do for physics and chem would be relevant. I never got into that, because I was so into math, but I knew people who did that. I wonder if it helps. 

19 hours ago, lewelma said:

Well, you are making me feel good!  I did think that they ask really good questions and expect a high level of knowledge, but it is nice to have you confirm my impression. These questions have challenged both me and my children and we are no slackards. Interesting that I've gotten both my kids through these exams at the 'excellence' level, but I still don't feel like I totally have it.  I just need to review, review, review. 

And now it is time for the next textbook! What do you recommend?

Are you looking to go further in chemistry?  If you loved OChem, you can't do better than the Klein textbook:

https://www.wiley.com/en-am/Klein's+Organic+Chemistry%2C+3rd+Edition%2C+Global+Edition-p-9781119451051

I'd also suggest getting these two books:

https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Organic+Chemistry+as+a+Second+Language%3A+First+Semester+Topics%2C+5th+Edition-p-9781119493488

https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Organic+Chemistry+as+a+Second+Language%3A+Second+Semester+Topics%2C+5th+Edition-p-9781119493822

Klein is a MONSTER of a book (it's HUGE) but it will take you through a TON of OChem. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'll take a look. I was kind of wondering if any of the contest-y things people do for physics and chem would be relevant. I never got into that, because I was so into math, but I knew people who did that. I wonder if it helps. 

You can look at the F=ma exam for physics, they have been very challenging for my son. He took the thinkwell honors physics and some of the F=ma problems are almost impossible for him. There is also the USPhO and USNCO for harder problems.

Edited by Marie.Sd

32 minutes ago, Dicentra said:

Are you looking to go further in chemistry?  If you loved OChem, you can't do better than the Klein textbook:

https://www.wiley.com/en-am/Klein's+Organic+Chemistry%2C+3rd+Edition%2C+Global+Edition-p-9781119451051

I'd also suggest getting these two books:

https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Organic+Chemistry+as+a+Second+Language%3A+First+Semester+Topics%2C+5th+Edition-p-9781119493488

https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Organic+Chemistry+as+a+Second+Language%3A+Second+Semester+Topics%2C+5th+Edition-p-9781119493822

Klein is a MONSTER of a book (it's HUGE) but it will take you through a TON of OChem. 🙂

Cool!  What do you recommend for improving my aqueous knowledge? I'm interested in cleaning up rivers and soil possibly from mines or landfills, so I'm thinking chemicals dissolving would be pretty important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

There are the physics and the chemistry olympiads you could do.  I know physics has more than one. You wouldn't want the one where you work as a team on problems all year and then defend your answers as a team. Go for the other one. 🙂

10 hours ago, lewelma said:

There are the physics and the chemistry olympiads you could do.  I know physics has more than one. You wouldn't want the one where you work as a team on problems all year and then defend your answers as a team. Go for the other one. 🙂

I think the Olympiads would be too hard to start. 

10 hours ago, Marie.Sd said:

You can look at the F=ma exam for physics, they have been very challenging for my son. He took the thinkwell honors physics and some of the F=ma problems are almost impossible for him. There is also the USPhO and USNCO for harder problems.

Ah yeah, I remember this one. I should take a look.

22 hours ago, lewelma said:

Cool!  What do you recommend for improving my aqueous knowledge? I'm interested in cleaning up rivers and soil possibly from mines or landfills, so I'm thinking chemicals dissolving would be pretty important. 

I'd probably go with an environmental geology book of some kind.  Aqueous chemistry as a stand-alone subject would be too broad and I think would get you bogged down in areas that won't be important.  My Enviro Geo textbook from uni is VERY dated (I think I took the course in '93 or '94) but if you start with an up-to-date Enviro Geo textbook, it would give you a good background and you could use the resource list in the back of the book to find more specialized texts.

That would be my thought. 🙂

• Like 1