Menu

Favorite PreAlgebra Text? Similar to Foerster Algebra I&2?

I am looking for a Pre Algebra textbook or workbook that is similar to Foerster Algebra 1 and 2. I like the number of problems in Foerster, and I like that the problems start simple and slowly morph into the more difficult. I do not like Sadlier-Oxford. That is what I am using now.

Thank you!

My Foerster user really liked Lial's Pre-Algebra text. The problem sets are huge so she only did odds or evens. The instructions were great and built in scaffolded steps, with example exercises along the way. I'm not sure it's like Foerster but it prepared her well for Foerster. 

My youngest girl strikes me as a good match for Foerster but she's really clicked with the Arbor School books (Jousting Armadillos, etc) for now. Maybe Foerster for alg 2. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for the responses! Pre Algebra is so ill defined that every book is vastly different. I appreciate you all weighing in. I will check into all of these. 

On 5/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, 8filltheheart said:

I have used MUS's alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-geo with all 8 of my kids.  My last kiddo will start Foersters alg 1 in the fall (my 8th time through it.)

I’m interested in hearing more about this.  Is this the only time in your sequence that you use MUS?  How easy was it to adapt to and how long did it take your kids (typically) to go through each of the MUS courses?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 7:13 PM, Eilonwy said:

I’m interested in hearing more about this.  Is this the only time in your sequence that you use MUS?  How easy was it to adapt to and how long did it take your kids (typically) to go through each of the MUS courses?

It is the only MUS text I use.  I started doing this when my now 32 yos was in 6th grade.  Back then MUS sold alg and geo together as a combo text.  The 2 have since been split and "honors questions" have been added.  They go through the majority of the combo text in a single school yr (it is designed for 36 weeks).  I didn't make the decision for my 5th grader this past yr to use it until about 6 weeks in to the school yr, so she didn't make it as far. Since we use it as pre-alg and pre-geo followed by complete courses in each, it really doesn't matter. 

In terms of adapting to, I'm not sure what you mean.  We don't use the videos or blocks.  I just teach the material.  It is very simplified alg and geo.  (The  most difficult word problems are on par with the word problems in HOE's Verbal Problems Book.)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

In terms of adapting to, I'm not sure what you mean.  We don't use the videos or blocks.  I just teach the material.

For adapting to it, I assumed that you did use the blocks and your kids then built everything, so it would take some time for them to get used to the blocks. But if you don’t use those it wouldn’t be as different from what they did before.   Thanks for giving some more details on this!  It sounds like a useful way to introduce the two topics.  What are the biggest advantages you see of the MUS material?

22 minutes ago, Eilonwy said:

What are the biggest advantages you see of the MUS material?

Nothing pedagological.  When my oldest ds was in 6th grade, that was when SM was still fairly new in the US.  (I've been homeschooling that long.  🙂 )  Anyway, I purchased the entire set and handed him the 6th grade Challenge Math and he breezed through it, no problem, with the exception of not knowing r*t=d formula to use with a water flow problem.  Once I explained it to him, he got it.  So I started trying to decide what to use and looked at high school alg texts.  Maturity-wise he was not ready to jump from his math workbooks into a full blown high school textbook.  I saw MUS's alg/geo combo workbook at a curriculum fair and bought it.  As soon as he started using it, I recognized that it was too simple to count as his alg course.  At that pt, I kept having him work through it while I searched for a better alg text.   That is actually how I stumbled onto the WTM forums ages and ages ago (way before anything resembling this platform existed).  I had been looking at top prep schools around the country and searching their course descriptions and Foerster's was used by almost all of them.  In my searching for Foerster's, the WTM came up.  🙂

Anyway, back then, options were way more limited compared to today.  The transition from 6th grade math to MUS's combo book to Foerster's worked extremely well for him, so I just kept using it.  My 8th and last child made the transition through MUS this past school yr.  She will be using Foerster's in the fall.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

In my searching for Foerster's, the WTM came up.  🙂

Anyway, back then, options were way more limited compared to today.  The transition from 6th grade math to MUS's combo book to Foerster's worked extremely well for him, so I just kept using it.  My 8th and last child made the transition through MUS this past school yr.  She will be using Foerster's in the fall.

I also got here looking for info on math options, just way more recently! I hadn’t actually thought of using MUS without the blocks, but it sounds like it can be an effective intro to Algebra while making a transition to books needing more maturity.  I will have a look at both this and Foersters.  

• Like 1