Menu

nm

Drama Llama

2 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

... what I remember of the Princess Bride isn't little kid.  The humor is all really verbal.  
Am I just not remembering?  Is it a little kid movie?   My kids at 6 and 7 were watching things like Cars and Toy Story.  

The kids have decided that they're going to watch animated Aladdin today and live Aladdin tomorrow and compare...

I have boys, so that may be different than girls, but DSs loved The Princess Bride at around ages 7-9. I know this because when we got our second dog (my avatar), they were that age, and named the dog after one of the characters of that movie. 😉 BUT... DH and I both are extremely word-oriented, and DSs have had quite the vocabulary and enjoyed word play sorts of humor since they were very little. Also, I have a film degree, so I was showing my kids a wide variety of movies, such as silent films (Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, etc.), since they were about 5yo, so either way, we may be outliers...

And, the comparison idea sounds fun! Thanks for letting us know what was decided -- I need closure when people ask for suggestions. 😉 😂

Edited by Lori D.

I had memorized the entire Princess Bride movie by the time I was 5. My parents had recorded it on a VHS for me from a TV special, I watched it non-stop. Totally vote for it because it has everything to cater to a diverse crowd:  fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..

I will admit I didn't understand everything in the movie at that age, of course. The only time I got in trouble in kinder (that I remember) is when my carpool-mate and I were arguing and she locked me out of my mom's car in the school parking lot and I angrily responded by saying, "I want my mom's car back, you son of a *****" (very coincidentally and unfortunately for me the ONLY swearing in the entire movie). I had no idea what it meant other than it's what you say when you're really, really, serious about wanting something back. 

Anyway I got grounded for a week and learned to never call a girl a son, because girls are daughters..

All this to say: I vote Princess Bride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

...Also, I have a film degree, so I was showing my kids a wide variety of movies, such as silent films (Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, etc.), since they were about 5yo, so either way, we may be outliers...😂

Stop being so awesome Lori! I'm jealous my kids don't have you for a mother already, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Stop being so awesome Lori! I'm jealous my kids don't have you for a mother already, lol. 

*I* think we moms should have some great mom-produced homeschooling classes *for each other*! I would totally love to learn cool stuff from all you great ladies, and hopefully would have something equally cool to share with all of you! Wouldn't that be fun?! 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NOT The Princess Bride - it's a major Bechdel fail, and actually kinda misogynistic. I used to like it as much as anybody until one day I suddenly realized that, and now I've only seen it once since... with the kids, because my sister insisted. I kept my mouth shut, but they said everything I was thinking and more.

Instead, I suggest Ever After, which is just as quoteable, if a bit excessively "you go, girl" in the 90s style.

Looking at other suggestions I'm also not a fan of Brave (historical accuracy reasons - no forks back then, and no against-the-wall chimneys, though at least there are no freaking potatoes) and both Aladdin and Mulan have racist elements, though I'm still a fan of Mulan anyway. (There is truly no accounting for taste, so don't try!)

I do like Tangled, and I'll second it.

My youngest child is weird, and even at almost 16 has still only seen like 12 movies in her entire life.  (We counted recently.)  She watches tons of media, but mostly nature shows.  Anyway, she's petrified of narrative/ dramatic tension and background music, which actually makes typical kid movies horrible choices.  At age 7, the only movies she had seen were Spaceballs, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Princess Bride.  

The Dora movie was actually pretty cute. My kids (preteens and teens at the time) all liked it- it has action, it has cute animals, Dora's not a princess, but they may like the novelty of seeing her all grown up. It's tame too, as far as I remember.

Edited by Paige

4 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I see all these suggestions for the Princess Bride.

I have this issue where my attention span for movies is zero. Like I sat through Frozen 10 times before I realized that the guy she married wasn't the one she sang the love song with in the beginning. 

But what I remember of the Princess Bride isn't little kid.  The humor is all really verbal.  

Am I just not remembering?  Is it a little kid movie?   My kids at 6 and 7 were watching things like Cars and Toy Story.  

The kids have decided that they're going to watch animated Aladdin today and live Aladdin tomorrow and compare.  But I'm still curious. 

All my kids loved the Princess Bride by the age of 7.  They might not get every joke by that age, but they were loving the story and characters and adventures, even if they missed some of the wordplay.  My more sensitive kids would close their eyes and plug their ears before the torture scene.

4 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I see all these suggestions for the Princess Bride.

There are kids who like it, but it definitely wouldn't not be on my short list for a group of kids getting together. 

4 hours ago, SKL said:

The most recent Wonder Woman movie.

I thought of that or Captain Marvel, as they tick the super hero box with the novelty of a female lead, but it's a young group for pg-13. 

10 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

NOT The Princess Bride - it's a major Bechdel fail, and actually kinda misogynistic. I used to like it as much as anybody until one day I suddenly realized that, and now I've only seen it once since... with the kids, because my sister insisted. I kept my mouth shut, but they said everything I was thinking and more.

Instead, I suggest Ever After, which is just as quoteable, if a bit excessively "you go, girl" in the 90s style.

Looking at other suggestions I'm also not a fan of Brave (historical accuracy reasons - no forks back then, and no against-the-wall chimneys, though at least there are no freaking potatoes) and both Aladdin and Mulan have racist elements, though I'm still a fan of Mulan anyway. (There is truly no accounting for taste, so don't try!)

I do like Tangled, and I'll second it.

I LOVE Ever After.  That is an amazing movie.  

I do like Brave but lack of accuracy in cartoons doesn't generally bother me.

11 hours ago, Lori D. said:

*I* think we moms should have some great mom-produced homeschooling classes *for each other*! I would totally love to learn cool stuff from all you great ladies, and hopefully would have something equally cool to share with all of you! Wouldn't that be fun?! 😄 

This is actually something I want to pursue doing lol.

11 hours ago, katilac said:

I thought of that [Wonder Woman] or Captain Marvel, as they tick the super hero box with the novelty of a female lead, but it's a young group for pg-13. 

Hmm, I didn't realize it was PG13.  I normally didn't let my kids watch PG13 until recently, but we saw Wonder Woman at least a couple years ago, and it became my sporty kid's favorite for a while.  I don't remember anything awful in it for school-age kids.