Menu

Quick Question about 23 and me

SanDiegoMom

the test itself is the same - with the 'health' - you're paying for them to run it through their system that tells you what is what.   23&Me is 50% off at thanksgiving (though last year it might have been in the summer.)

you can keep your data completely private.  my niece ran hers, showed up as my niece - then she changed her settings and isn't visible anymore.  (her mom/my sister is still visible to me.)

there are far better 3rd party than promethease.

ancestry and 23&me do DIFFERENT genes!  - just so you know.  I've done both, ran both through promethease and did a line by line comparison.  (my dr had access to a couple different 3rd party apps for my 23&me data).   

and - you can't upload 23&me data to ancestry . . . . .(some genealogy sites will accept it)

Agree with the others that you only need the cheapie because the chip is the same both ways. As far as promethease, the beauty is the searchable html file, not so much what they say about the genes. I use it all the time as a way to search the files, because the raw data shows only RS numbers and the alleles, not so convenient. For actual analysis, the free knowyourgenetics.com is definitely worth doing. Ignore all the sales pitches.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Interesting - yet . . It looks like it just shows general health/ancestry information, not genetic predispositions, or reactions to different Rx. that will sometimes go along with someone's particular genetics.

29 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Interesting - yet . . It looks like it just shows general health/ancestry information, not genetic predispositions, or reactions to different Rx. that will sometimes go along with someone's particular genetics.

I thought it does all the things! I will look again. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I thought it does all the things! I will look again. Thank you.

The health recommendations these companies make are already really generic or they'd get into trouble. If you want to know something important, you have to take the raw data and run it through engines yourself. I guess see if you can find a sample report for the company and you'll know, but a lot of what someone is looking for for health purposes is buried in the raw data that they don't analyze in the reports you buy. 

• Like 1