Menu

6th Grade Planning Thread 2021-2

gradchica

This will be my first go-round with 6th grade. My over planned plan so far:

Latin: 3rd Form with MPOA

Math: Singapore Dimensions 7, Rod & Staff 6 independently. Mindset Math with friends. LoF Pre algebra for fun.  

Writing: WWS2 with WTMA

Grammar: keep going with GFTWTM 

Literature: Memoria Press 6

History: MP Famous Men of Middle Ages, All Ye Lands with Homeschool Connections recording 

Science: Life science with Holt. Also Nature’s Beautiful Order. Story of Science. Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding w friends. 

Handwriting: continue 15 min/day work in Advanced Language Lessons

Spelling: R&S 6

Music: continue piano lessons. Possibly continue clarinet. 

Logic: CAP Art of Argument, Forensics class at co op

Greek: Elementary Greek, hopefully with Scholé/St Raphael online 

MP Geography 2, Christian Studies3

PE: competitive soccer, cross country, track and field, rock climbing team

Edited by gradchica

Bible: Apologia's Who is God series-wherever we leave off
Math: Hands on Equations-Fractions, then Principles of Mathematics 1 (just did that as we ended slightly early with math)
Writing: The Paragraph Book Series (probably, but not sure yet)
Grammar: ?? (I have a few, but not sure what will work with this kid)
Spelling: Megawords-wherever we left off on 1 or move to 2 if 1 gets done Not sure, he needs it, but hates it, so maybe mom made?
Literature: Finish Mosdos or  a mom-made book list of classic type books that I think he'll like
Handwriting/Typing: not sure-this kid hates it, isn't good at it and isn't good at typing either. Maybe Hobbit Quotes in Cursive and Typer Island
History: SOTW-read through all the books with questions-he started ancient midyear this year, so wherever he finishes off, we'll pick up
Science: Exploration Education probably
Geography: seterra/sheppard software plus a report on a country thrown in there
Thinking/Logic: not sure-we've done fun critical thinking puzzles up until now that he's really good at, and will start formal logic later, so we'll see what this child WANTS to do with nothing being a valid option for this year.
Latin: Getting Started With Latin

Edited by alisha

I can't believe I've already planned out next year, but this is what I hope for: 

Latin - Lively Latin

Math - Finish up TT7 by Oct, then TT PreA, also MM6, Prodigy, and ST Math 6

Writing - IEW, with some WWS1 here and there, and Killgallon elementary

History - Bookshark G Ancients

Lit - Bookshark G readers, read alouds, and whatever random read alouds I pick to do in addition. She doesn't read herself on level, so I read aloud or do audio books for her. 

Spelling - Sequential Spelling 2 and Spelling You See F

Grammar - Fix It 1 or GFTWTM, I'll try both and see

Science - idk yet. Bookshark maybe or I'll use a CA 6th grade textbook. I want something planned that also hits our state standards, so who knows. 

PE - surfing and gymnastics

Also Critical Thinking Co's Thinking Skills 2, Reading Skills, Inference Jones, and Reading Eggs. 

She wants to do TGATB 5, but it's not enough, and I don't have it in me to do a full LA curriculum and then all the peices I've found that actually work with her. Sorry DD, likely not happening. 

We are relaxed secular homeschoolers. My soon to be 6th grader is an average student. 

Family: Unit Studies, Read Alouds

Brain Warmup: Chalkboard 10min Daily Math

Math: CTC Math

Reading: Her picks & books that go with our unit study

Writing/Grammar: BraveWriter Darts, Weekly FreeWrite, Fix It Grammar 2

Extras

Drawing/Art: Pencil, watercolor, paint & oil pastels

Activities: Girl Guides & Ballet

• Like 1

Plans so far for my 6th grader:

Math: probably Singapore Primary 6th

Literature/Grammar: Lightning Literature 6th Grade

Spelling: Continue Apples & Pears B/C

Writing: IEW and/or Lightning Literature 

Science: Science Odyssey Physics level 1 (with younger sister)

History: History Odyssey Middle Times level 2

Extras: Depending on what is open or not due to Covid 

Art and musical theater classes with our charter school 

Choir and band classes

Piano lessons 

After a month spent researching (why is it that February always seems boring and gets me motivated to think about new, exciting things for next year?), I think I've got DD's curriculum nailed down.  She'll be doing...

Math: Foerster's Algebra 1 (recommended by several people as a follow up to MM)

Language Arts (combined with ODS): Aunt Ruth II (mechanics/word use--the first level has been so fun that the kids requested this for next year); Drawing Sentences (diagramming--second half/book 2), Jump In! (writing), Family Book Club (lit--reading historical fiction around the world to go with history)

Science (all 3 kids): Ellen McHenry Botany, Cells, Protozoa; CPO Life Science to round things out

Social Studies (all 3 kids): Crash Course World History (free lessons to go with CCWH YouTube videos, surprisingly awesome)

Spanish (combined with ODS): probably switching to Homeschool Spanish Academy, unless our 1x/week conversation tutor wants to take responsibility for their day-to-day work, since they're at the limit of what I can remember of my high school Spanish

I plan to continue Fun Fridays, which feature logic puzzles of various types, an art project, science lab, educational videos, Family Book Club meetings, and a nature outing.

Other: piano and taekwondo (still via Zoom?  unless we change things up--though I can't imagine her switching from piano, she might move on from taekwondo once she earns her black belt later this year)

I still have a ways to go before we finish current materials so this is a work in progress.  

language arts-
Writing with ease 4
Seton English
Kolbe cursive
MCP spelling
Seton vocabulary
Seton Reading comp & Skills

math-
Lials BCM

history - light to nations 1

Science-
Seton science 6 and 7

Art-
CHC ever ancient, ever new 2  (LOVE a this art program and so do my kids)
Seton art 6 - she loves art and will be happy to do both each week  

Religion-
Idk  We are already doing the Bible in a Year everyday as a family currently. (Excellent by the way if anyone cares to know.)  Observe at least 1-2 liturgical feasts a month, mass & volunteering (more now that dh and I are vax’d), we read about the saints, watching the daily Church stations during lent (also excellent and really enjoyed every day) idk  I’ll probably just have her do seton/kolbe religion 6 materials that I already have.  Boring to me bc I’ve been using them for literally decades but she hasn’t. Or maybe I’ll just buy Faith & Life grade 6 and call it done.

I’d like to find a catechism study that walks the student through the CCC explaining how each section came to be, what it means and why. Oh!! Maybe next year Fr Mike will do a Catechism in a Year! One can dream. Maybe I’ll just do it myself. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1

So my oldest is going into 6th.  Yikes!  Here is my tentative plan.

Language Arts:
    - Reading = Aiming for 16 books. A mix of classics, modern literature, and books tied to history and science.
    - Spelling & Vocabulary = Logic of English Level C with MCT Caesar’s English II
    - Writing = IEW SS Year One Level B and NANOWRIMO
    - Grammar = MCT Grammar Voyage + MCT Practice Voyage
    - Poetry = MCT A World of Poetry and a variety of poetry books.  IEW Poetry Memorization
Math = Math Mammoth 6 and finish Upper Elementary Challenge Math by Edward Zaccaro.
Science = Thinking of Biochemistry for my chemistry loving son + other topics in biology.
History/Geography = Curiosity Chronicles - Middle Ages
For. Lang.: European Portuguese = Private lessons
Art = Outsourced classes in watercolor and painting
Music: Clarinet = Private lessons
Logic = [undecided]

P.E. = [Swim Team - maybe] and Kung Fu
Typing = Typsey.com
Philosophy & World Religions = [undecided]

This is my youngest and my 8th time through 6th grade:

Foerster's alg 1

homemade lit/geography course designed around Around the World in 80 Days

science topics she wants to study via reading trade books

writing across curriculum

EtA: forgot about Russian 

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:03 AM, Murphy101 said:

Religion-
Idk  We are already doing the Bible in a Year everyday as a family currently. (Excellent by the way if anyone cares to know.)  Observe at least 1-2 liturgical feasts a month, mass & volunteering (more now that dh and I are vax’d), we read about the saints, watching the daily Church stations during lent (also excellent and really enjoyed every day) idk  I’ll probably just have her do seton/kolbe religion 6 materials that I already have.  Boring to me bc I’ve been using them for literally decades but she hasn’t. Or maybe I’ll just buy Faith & Life grade 6 and call it done.

This is better/more than we are doing. We do some Bible, some catechism (Baltimore, sporadically), and a CHC hands-on program (saints and seasons, growing in wisdom, etc). Last year I just said "faith and life and be done" and it was...fine. It's so meh but it's easy to schedule. My Baltimore memorization is so spotty and if it's not getting done..

My oldest is in 6th next year. I plan to continue a "CHC plus" approach that made my life easier this year (sticking to the plans but adding subjects):

MATH: math mammoth 6 and then 7

LATIN: finish Latin for Children Primer B and then C

GREEK: continue Hey Andrew book 3

GRAMMAR AND SPELLING: CHC's Language of God E and My Catholic Speller E (easy, gets done)

WRITING: Writing and Rhetoric books 4 and 5

SCIENCE: Behold and See 6

HISTORY: From Sea to Shining Sea (we have the plans from 5th but did Middle Ages instead)

ART: Ever Ancient Ever New Book 2 (love)

LITERATURE: Treasure Trove of Literature volume 3 

GEOGRAPHY: CHC Map Skills F, finish CHC Tour a Country

MUSIC: piano lessons, guitar

TYPING: Nitro type

RELIGION: AO Bible reading plans, CHC Hands on for 6th is Sharing the Good News, and probably faith and life 6

LOGIC: Art of Argument, and possibly James Madison

VP Self Paced Bible -The Gospels

VP Self Paced History -- Explorers to 1815 with literature 

Math Mammoth 6

LA through Narnia (writing and Grammar)  IEW Level 1 B

Easy Grammar 6

Abeka Reading

Barton-- maybe, continue...maybe cry . . . maybe do Apples and Pears instead...

Science-- whatever middle school science we offer at tutorial Apologia Chemistry and Physics

Middle School Spanish @ tutorial    (weekly conversation club)

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 1

Math: MUS Zeta

LA: Spelling Workout;

G&B Handwriting;

Some Jump In and writing across curriculum

Beauwulf Grammar+ maybe Jr AG Mechanics

Lit- some from Mensa list, following interests etc.

History: Continuing US History with A History of US C&D- mom-made booklist + Some Sunflower timeline

Science: Unit Studies- McHenry's Botany and Elements if they are interested; G&B Reptiles & Amphibians + Birds; Self Study with library books

• 1 month later...

My 4th & last baby will be a 6th grader! 

Math- Saxon 7/6 (this is new for us, we like CLE but she is taking this through a coop so I Hope it works out). 

LA- Rod & Staff English 6 

Writing- Writing With Skill L1

History- Notgrass From Adam to Us part 2; From Castles to Computers

Science- History of Science and labs at a class 

Lit- The King’s Fifth, Madeleine Takes Command, The Switherby a pilgrims, The  Chestry Oak, Children of the Storm, Along Came Galileo, The Story of Thomas Alva Edison, Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia, Ordinary Genius: The Story of Albert Einstein

Spanish- class

Art- History of Art & Music following along with Notgrass 

Edited by Hallyv

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my second trip through sixth grade:

History
Tapestry of Grace Year 2 – Dialectic Stage, subbing in relevant parts of:
Oxford University Press Medieval World Series
K12 Human Odyssey
K12 American Odyssey
South Carolina: The History of an American State

Language Arts (taking the year off from grammar!)
Kolbe Academy Elementary Literature selections
Classical Academic Press: Writing and Rhetoric 5-6
Figuratively Speaking
Growing Your Vocabulary 6

Math
Lial Basic College Math, 7th. Ed.

Science
Elemental Science ESA for the Logic Stage

Foreign Language
Lively Latin 2, Part 1

Logic
Critical Thinking Company Building Thinking Skills Level 3
Critical Thinking Company Mind Benders Book 5

Fine Arts
ARTistic Pursuits 4-6 Book 2
Music Theory, Smithsonian Music, and Classics for Kids

Extracurricular
Soccer
Boy Scouts
Violin lessons

Still a work in progress, but initial thoughts:

(DD is dyslexic, so behind in language arts skills)

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7

Science: Bookshark Science - not sure which one yet. I'll let DD pick. 

Social Studies: Bookshark, probably level E, maybe level F

Literature/Reading: Bookshark as above

Composition: IEW SSS A

Grammar: Fix It 1, also likely MCT Grammar Island - just reading it together

Spelling: Nessy Reading and Spelling

Handwriting: Not sure if we will keep that up this year, if so, TG&TB handwriting 

Typing: Touch Type Read and Spell

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really impressed that so many people plan months ahead of time. It's summer, and I am just now planning for next year. Here's my tentative plan for my STEM loving soon-to-be 6th grader.

1. .Language Arts:
    1. Reading:  Most of Core Knowledge LA Grade 6 plus middle school level editions of Beowulf, King Arthur legends, Sir Gawain, Canterbury     Tales, Saint George and the Dragon, 1001 Arabian Nights. Still looking for a few non-western stories of the Middle Ages era, especially India and China (suggestions welcome!). Free choice reading every day at bedtime.
    2. Spelling & Vocabulary:  CKLA Grade 6.
    3. Writing:  IEW SS B1. Maybe an occasional assignment from CKLA 6. Outline history 1x/week.
    4. Grammar:  CKLA Grade 6 and IEW Fix-it Grammar Robin Hood. Something to supplement with sentence diagramming??
    5. Poetry:  Memorization - one per month (ish).
  2. Math:  AoPS Pre-Algebra plus Khan Academy.
  3. Science:  Continue with Conceptual Integrated Science Exploration. MEL Science Kits. YouTube physics videos.
  4. History/Geography:  Middle Ages with focus on science & technology of the era. Curiosity Chronicles - Middle Ages and Early Modern Era part 1. Finish Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way by Joy Hakim (and start Newton in the Center). Extra books about science and technology in India, Baghdad, China during Middle Ages.
  5. For. Lang.:  Pimsleur Spanish.
  6. Art:  Artistic Pursuits.
  7. Music:  Classics for Kids.
  8. Logic:  The Basics of Critical Thinking.
  9. P.E.:  Swim lessons, PE class for homeschoolers at the Y if they offer it this year.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:16 PM, gradchica said:

This will be my first go-round with 6th grade. My over planned plan so far:

Latin: 3rd Form with MPOA

Math: Singapore Dimensions 7, Rod & Staff 6 independently. Mindset Math with friends. LoF Pre algebra for fun.  

Writing: WWS2 with WTMA

Grammar: keep going with GFTWTM 

Literature: Memoria Press 6

History: MP Famous Men of Middle Ages, All Ye Lands with Homeschool Connections recording 

Science: Life science with Holt. Also Nature’s Beautiful Order. Story of Science. Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding w friends. 

Handwriting: continue 15 min/day work in Advanced Language Lessons

Spelling: R&S 6

Music: continue piano lessons. Possibly continue clarinet. 

Logic: CAP Art of Argument, Forensics class at co op

Greek: Elementary Greek, hopefully with Scholé/St Raphael online 

MP Geography 2, Christian Studies3

PE: competitive soccer, cross country, track and field, rock climbing team

For Spelling, Grammar, and Literature, check out Bookadventure.com. Have a 4th grader and 7th grader helps me track there reading progress and makes sure they understand the curriculum.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:58 PM, Mommalongadingdong said:

I can't believe I've already planned out next year, but this is what I hope for: 

Latin - Lively Latin

Math - Finish up TT7 by Oct, then TT PreA, also MM6, Prodigy, and ST Math 6

Writing - IEW, with some WWS1 here and there, and Killgallon elementary

History - Bookshark G Ancients

Lit - Bookshark G readers, read alouds, and whatever random read alouds I pick to do in addition. She doesn't read herself on level, so I read aloud or do audio books for her. 

Spelling - Sequential Spelling 2 and Spelling You See F

Grammar - Fix It 1 or GFTWTM, I'll try both and see

Science - idk yet. Bookshark maybe or I'll use a CA 6th grade textbook. I want something planned that also hits our state standards, so who knows. 

PE - surfing and gymnastics

Also Critical Thinking Co's Thinking Skills 2, Reading Skills, Inference Jones, and Reading Eggs. 

She wants to do TGATB 5, but it's not enough, and I don't have it in me to do a full LA curriculum and then all the peices I've found that actually work with her. Sorry DD, likely not happening. 

Why do you think TGTB LA5 is not enough? We are already using it and I find it to be plenty. my sixth grader already started the school year. I figure as the year goes on if I see any areas that I want him to work extra in, then I’ll add that in. But that will be based more on his own weaknesses as I can see the program is plenty hearty.

This child is tough. She's very bright but currently going through a puberty-related (I hope!) disinterest in anything academic and especially does not want to put any effort into her output for me (she has 0% interest in going to public school). My goal for this year is to keep her moving forward, but in general I'm trying to scale back my expectations for academic output and just keep putting a lot in.  

• Reading:  Reading program a la Out of the Holding Tank. I also have one of the Mosdos levels to try out, but I honestly don't see it being a great fit. 
  • Writing:  We're working on Writing with Skill right now, but I might try W&R book 4 or 5
  • Grammar:  GWTM Purple
  • Math:  Mathematical Reasoning G, Hands-On Equations, and probably some other things
  • Science:  CK-12 biology, probably 
  • History: Finish Oxford History of the Ancient World and start History of the Medieval World
  • Spanish: Homeschool Academy
  • Latin: Finishing Cambridge Unit 1 and starting 2; taking the Exploratory Latin Exam
  • Art:  She mostly does this on her own 
  • Music:  Memoria Press Music Appreciation; oboe (band at the local school); piano lessons
  • Other: Girl Scouts, climbing and/or aerial yoga

On 3/5/2021 at 7:03 AM, Murphy101 said:

I’d like to find a catechism study that walks the student through the CCC explaining how each section came to be, what it means and why. Oh!! Maybe next year Fr Mike will do a Catechism in a Year! One can dream. Maybe I’ll just do it myself. 

Have you asked/suggested that to him?
If you haven't, I know someone who knows him, and I can put that bug in his ear if you want.

Signed,
Another Fr. Mike fan

6 hours ago, barnwife said:

Have you asked/suggested that to him?
If you haven't, I know someone who knows him, and I can put that bug in his ear if you want.

Signed,
Another Fr. Mike fan

I have not mentioned it to him so you totally should!  Fr Mike is the only consistent thing we are doing aside from installing flooring, repairing woodwork and painting the house. 

Edited by Murphy101

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 8:43 PM, Janeway said:

Why do you think TGTB LA5 is not enough? We are already using it and I find it to be plenty. my sixth grader already started the school year. I figure as the year goes on if I see any areas that I want him to work extra in, then I’ll add that in. But that will be based more on his own weaknesses as I can see the program is plenty hearty.

I don't think the writing or spelling is enough. I like their grammar, geography integration, reading selections, and other bits and pieces.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a rough year this last year. After pulling my boys from public school, it became very obvious that my eldest was quite a bit "behind" where I anticipated him to be although he was considered "ahead" in math in his class. When he went into school, we were using the same math curriculum I began using on pulling him out and he placed at Math Mammoth 3A although he was almost finished with 4th grade in PS. We've been working through that while also juggling selling a house, buying a house, and a big move and hit a wall in MM4B that threw things off quite a bit. After briefly trying a different approach (MUS), working through some Key to... guides, and switching back to Singapore (Dimensions, this time) we have had some success and so my plan is to continue through that and be ready for pre-algebra by 7th. Likewise, we're devoting more focus on grammar and writing as he had no formal grammar instruction at school and writing instruction tended to be more of the "answer the writing prompt question on the board" variety.

Grammar: Rod & Staff Hake Grammar 6, Fix it! Grammar, and we sometimes run through some FLL 3 since he didn't use it when he was younger.

Writing: IEW SSS and Treasured Conversations, as above we run through some WWE 3 for additional skill building. Also scheduled for a creative writing course of interest to him via Outschool. Leaning toward replacing IEW with WTMA Prep for Expository Writing.

Literature: Mosdos Press Coral, Fishtank Learning units, classes/round tables with The Bookish Society, and books from the BYL 5/6, and Oh! Freedom booklists.

Spelling/Vocab: Phonetic Zoo and maybe some Caesar's English but we'll see.

Handwriting: The Good and The Beautiful if I can handle the religiosity. Otherwise its back to Getty-Dubay.

Math: This has been the biggest headache of all in the last year and right now, I'm planning a return to Singapore Math (either Dimensions or Primary 2022) with supplemental videos via Jessica Kaminski and some Zaccaro added in as well as some math apps. I'm going to be scheduling more one-on-one time to teach him and sit with him through the lesson until I'm sure he's off running. If we finish that, I'm leaning toward Jousting Armadillos or Jacobs Math: A Human Endeavor for pre-algebra. Going to give Saxon 7/6 a try (with Zaccaro added in) and Nicole the Math Lady videos.

Science: Science Mom Bio + RSO Bio 2 and some interest-led books. He's going to do a weekly paleontology club via Outschool.

American History (M/W/F): Oh! Freedom and BYL 5/6 combo.

Ancient History (T/TH, not every week) : The boys were in PS for a few years and neither has done Ancients so we're doing a slower SOTW run through in the form of civilization-units because they have a lot of interest and I wanted my 6th grader to have some general exposure prior to a HS world history cycling.

"Social Studies": We do what I call a "social studies" or "social justice" block which just covers relevant social issues and I piece it together using multiple sources. This son covered LGBTQ+ inclusivity, civil rights movements from the Civil Rights Era to the modern day, living as an Autistic person in a society built around NT minds...etc. I pull from multiple sources and often use Fishtank Learning units here too. I have some more units planned utilizing Fishtank's 5th grade with the upgraded membership, a unit about women's rights around the world -- particularly in the area that we're from, immigration, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I really wanted to put in Bookish Society's Women's Studies for Jr. High class here but I think this child would benefit from waiting til 7th or 8th for that one :) . We've just finished a family reading of "Stamped" (I read the adult one, 6th grader read the middle-grade one, and 3rd grader read "Stamped for Kids" and we listened to the audiobook reading of the middle-grade one).

Latin: QP I Can Speak Latin + Minimus

Foreign Language: Working on getting a tutor for Arabic and/or French for him.

Mythology: MP D'Aulaires, possibly beginning MP Famous Men of Rome, The Bookish Society Modern Mythology, lots of Rick Riordan Presents books.

Art: I think I'm going to use Glitterbomb for both of them this year. Art is always my struggle to figure out as I'm not skilled in the subject at all myself.

Music: SQUILT + trying to set up piano lessons per his request.

Extras: Typing, Coding, and karate.

Edited by Shahrazad

On 3/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, ByGrace3 said:

VP Self Paced Bible -The Gospels

VP Self Paced History -- Explorers to 1815 with literature 

Math Mammoth 6

LA through Narnia (writing and Grammar)  IEW Level 1 B

Easy Grammar 6

Abeka Reading

Barton-- maybe, continue...maybe cry . . . maybe do Apples and Pears instead...

Science-- whatever middle school science we offer at tutorial Apologia Chemistry and Physics

Middle School Spanish @ tutorial    (weekly conversation club)

Quite a few changes but I think we are all set now. The tutorial we were planning didn't work out but we will  be getting together with 2 of dd's best friends for weekly writing and science so that should be good. I am also teaching a weekly Spanish conversation club in my home so I am excited about that as well. We start next week and I am not ready to let go of summer.  I just ordered the last of our materials yesterday . . . never have I been this behind in planning. This will be our 12th year homeschooling and ugh ... I am the least prepared I have ever been. 

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the same way ByGrace3!  Here's my plan for my rising 6th grader:

Bible - Word of Life daily devotion

Language Arts:
    - Reading - Literature class through Center for Lit; historical fiction and whatever she chooses
    - Spelling & Vocabulary - still not sure yet for spelling!  Root Words
    - Writing - W&R through Schole Academy
    - Grammar - The Good and the Beautiful, Fix It
    - Poetry - The Good and the Beautiful
Math - The Good and the Beautiful
Science - Apologia Chemistry or the Good and the Beautiful units
History - Modern History (putting together using SoTW, MOH, SCM, BF and Bookshark)
Foreign Language - Song School Latin 2, Homeschool Spanish Academy
Art - The Good and the Beautiful
Music - Zeezok music appreciation
Logic - Mindbenders, Logic Liftoff series

P.E. - walking đŸ¤£ (She does 20,000 steps a day!)
Elective - psychology

Geography - TGTB and Material World

We just finished our 2nd week of school and my 6th grader has pronounced this her favorite yr ever.  I spent the summer creating a history/geography course around countries we have never studied before.  It has turned out to be more timely than I'd have ever imagined.  Haiti & Afghanistan are 2 of the first countries on our list of studies.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2021 at 11:48 AM, 8filltheheart said:

We just finished our 2nd week of school and my 6th grader has pronounced this her favorite yr ever.  I spent the summer creating a history/geography course around countries we have never studied before.  It has turned out to be more timely than I'd have ever imagined.  Haiti & Afghanistan are 2 of the first countries on our list of studies.

I love the stuff that you plan for your kids, and how much _they_ love it.  Happiness!

Late, late late to the party; I'm planning out our year and the subjects are pretty settled.  We have a lot on our plate, so the plan is to focus on spending a good amount of time on school and loop through what we want to do.   Priority is going to piano, three Rs, Latin and art.

Logic: Thinking Toolbox / Fallacy Detective, games like Gravity Maze, AntiVirus Mutation and maybe some chess.

Math: finishing up MEP & Beast Academy 5, on to MEP 6 and then give AoPS PreAlgebra a whirl.  Do either that or upper MEP with him. 

Science: finish RSO Chem, McHenry's Elements; read from Hakim's Story of Science, graphic science books, Gray's elements & molecules & reactions books, some of Asimov's How We Found Out series, etc.  Maybe a chemistry game if I can unearth it đŸ™‚Â 

History: WTM-ish Ancients history, with OUP's World in Ancient Times for reading + primary source material

English Language: AAS, GftWTM, and a bit of penmanship/keyboarding

Literature: stuff from LLftLotR, a Shakespeare play each term, poetry each term, and Figuratively Speaking

Writing: alternate CW Homer with outlining practice; some poetry writing and basic literature responses.

Foreign Languages: Form Latin series, Minimus to read; and Introduction to Classical Greek (I don't plan to finish the Greek book this year -- it'll have to be just 3 days/week)

Art: online drawing class; Artistic Pursuits; Harmony Fine Arts Year 5

Music: piano, Harmony Fine Arts Year 5.

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, serendipitous journey said:

I love the stuff that you plan for your kids, and how much _they_ love it.  Happiness!

LOL!!  It must be going even better than I thought bc I just realized last night that we have actually finished 4 weeks of school instead of 3.  Â đŸ™‚Â  (We started earlier than I had planned bc we were waiting for some PCR test results and we couldn't do anything anyway until they came back, so the girls asked to start.  It threw off our planners' dates since I had already written their plans.)

But, yes, this yr is fabulous.  One of the fun things we are doing is a combo of science/geography study.  We started with the history of navigation and now we are reading Finding Your Way with Map and Compass.  My 6th grader and my 5th grade granddaughter are going to learn orienteering via compass. Dh and oldest ds are going to take them into the field for practice (along with younger grandsons.....I am just not 100% homeschooling them like granddaughter).  Then we are going to move onto finding your way without a map or compass. 

Orienteering involves so much science.  We are also active hikers and head into the mtns all the time.  Life skill combined with science.  And, the kids are super excited about it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 8filltheheart said:

LOL!!  It must be going even better than I thought bc I just realized last night that we have actually finished 4 weeks of school instead of 3.  Â đŸ™‚Â  (We started earlier than I had planned bc we were waiting for some PCR test results and we couldn't do anything anyway until they came back, so the girls asked to start.  It threw off our planners' dates since I had already written their plans.)

But, yes, this yr is fabulous.  One of the fun things we are doing is a combo of science/geography study.  We started with the history of navigation and now we are reading Finding Your Way with Map and Compass.  My 6th grader and my 5th grade granddaughter are going to learn orienteering via compass. Dh and oldest ds are going to take them into the field for practice (along with younger grandsons.....I am just not 100% homeschooling them like granddaughter).  Then we are going to move onto finding your way without a map or compass. 

Orienteering involves so much science.  We are also active hikers and head into the mtns all the time.  Life skill combined with science.  And, the kids are super excited about it.  

Please tell me exactly everything you’ve done with the navigation. LOL. My son really really wants to do this and to be honest, it’s something I’ve always been interested in too.

1 hour ago, 8filltheheart said:

Is that book called finding your way with math and compass or is it finding your way without map and compass?

25 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Is that book called finding your way with math and compass or is it finding your way without map and compass?

We started with Tools of Navigation: A Kid's Guide to the History & Science of Finding Your Way Amazon.com: Tools of Navigation: A Kid's Guide to the History & Science of Finding Your Way: 9780974934402: Dickinson, Rachel: Books

Now we are reading Be Expert with Map and Compass: Be Expert with Map and Compass: Kjellstrom, Bjorn, Kjellstrom Elgin, Carina: 9780470407653: Amazon.com: Books

And then we will move on to Finding Your Without Map or Compass Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass: Gatty, Harold: 8601400601334: Amazon.com: Books

www.usgs.gov has a ton of information as well.

Another excellent resource is Explore - Orienteering USA (we live in an area with numerous permanent orienteering courses and clubs.)

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/27/2021 at 11:15 AM, Shahrazad said:

We had a rough year this last year. After pulling my boys from public school, it became very obvious that my eldest was quite a bit "behind" where I anticipated him to be although he was considered "ahead" in math in his class. When he went into school, we were using the same math curriculum I began using on pulling him out and he placed at Math Mammoth 3A although he was almost finished with 4th grade in PS. We've been working through that while also juggling selling a house, buying a house, and a big move and hit a wall in MM4B that threw things off quite a bit. After briefly trying a different approach (MUS), working through some Key to... guides, and switching back to Singapore (Dimensions, this time) we have had some success and so my plan is to continue through that and be ready for pre-algebra by 7th. Likewise, we're devoting more focus on grammar and writing as he had no formal grammar instruction at school and writing instruction tended to be more of the "answer the writing prompt question on the board" variety.

Grammar: Rod & Staff Hake Grammar 6, Fix it! Grammar, and we sometimes run through some FLL 3 since he didn't use it when he was younger.

Writing: IEW SSS and Treasured Conversations, as above we run through some WWE 3 for additional skill building. Also scheduled for a creative writing course of interest to him via Outschool. Leaning toward replacing IEW with WTMA Prep for Expository Writing.

Literature: Mosdos Press Coral, Fishtank Learning units, classes/round tables with The Bookish Society, and books from the BYL 5/6, and Oh! Freedom booklists.

Handwriting: The Good and The Beautiful if I can handle the religiosity. Otherwise its back to Getty-Dubay.

Math: This has been the biggest headache of all in the last year and right now, I'm planning a return to Singapore Math (either Dimensions or Primary 2022) with supplemental videos via Jessica Kaminski and some Zaccaro added in as well as some math apps. I'm going to be scheduling more one-on-one time to teach him and sit with him through the lesson until I'm sure he's off running. If we finish that, I'm leaning toward Jousting Armadillos or Jacobs Math: A Human Endeavor for pre-algebra. Going to give Saxon 7/6 a try (with Zaccaro added in) and Nicole the Math Lady videos.

Science: Science Mom Bio + RSO Bio 2 and some interest-led books. He's going to do a weekly paleontology club via Outschool.

Ancient History (T/TH, not every week) : The boys were in PS for a few years and neither has done Ancients so we're doing a slower SOTW run through in the form of civilization-units because they have a lot of interest and I wanted my 6th grader to have some general exposure prior to a HS world history cycling.

"Social Studies": We do what I call a "social studies" or "social justice" block which just covers relevant social issues and I piece it together using multiple sources. This son covered LGBTQ+ inclusivity, civil rights movements from the Civil Rights Era to the modern day, living as an Autistic person in a society built around NT minds...etc. I pull from multiple sources and often use Fishtank Learning units here too. I have some more units planned utilizing Fishtank's 5th grade with the upgraded membership, a unit about women's rights around the world -- particularly in the area that we're from, immigration, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I really wanted to put in Bookish Society's Women's Studies for Jr. High class here but I think this child would benefit from waiting til 7th or 8th for that one đŸ™‚ . We've just finished a family reading of "Stamped" (I read the adult one, 6th grader read the middle-grade one, and 3rd grader read "Stamped for Kids" and we listened to the audiobook reading of the middle-grade one).

Mythology: MP D'Aulaires, possibly beginning MP Famous Men of Rome, The Bookish Society Modern Mythology, lots of Rick Riordan Presents books.

Art: I think I'm going to use Glitterbomb for both of them this year. Art is always my struggle to figure out as I'm not skilled in the subject at all myself.

Could you please share the Arabic tutor? Thanks.

• 8 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 10:15 AM, Shahrazad said:

Math: This

Hi. I hope I’ve done the quote thing correctly. I haven’t posted in forever. This came up in a search. I’m combining BYL 5 with Oh Freedom. And also TL 3. I’m just wondering how combining BYL and Woke Homeschooling is going? Have you found it feasible? Any advice on how best to match up the two curricula? In flipping through them, it’s not always evident exactly what’s being studied and/or chronologically where the lesson is. Without having the books in front of me that is. I’ve not bought any books yet, but with combining I feel like I shouldn’t buy everything because obviously some things will have to get cut. Anyways, any words of wisdom? Thank you.

has been the biggest headache of all in the last year and right now, I'm planning a return to Singapore Math (either Dimensions or Primary 2022) with supplemental videos via Jessica Kaminski and some Zaccaro added in as well as some math apps. I'm going to be scheduling more one-on-one time to teach him and sit with him through the lesson until I'm sure he's off running. If we finish that, I'm leaning toward Jousting Armadillos or Jacobs Math: A Human Endeavor for pre-algebra. Going to give Saxon 7/6 a try (with Zaccaro added in) and Nicole the Math Lady videos.

"Social Studies": We do what I call a "social studies" or "social justice" block which just covers relevant social issues and I piece it together using multiple sources. This son covered LGBTQ+ inclusivity, civil rights movements from the Civil Rights Era to the modern day, living as an Autistic person in a society built around NT minds...etc. I pull from multiple sources and often use Fishtank Learning units here too. I have some more units planned utilizing Fishtank's 5th grade with the upgraded membership, a unit about women's rights around the world -- particularly in the area that we're from, immigration, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I really wanted to put in Bookish Society's Women's Studies for Jr. High class here but I think this child would benefit from waiting til 7th or 8th for that one đŸ™‚ . We've just finished a family reading of "Stamped" (I read the adult one, 6th grader read the middle-grade one, and 3rd grader read "Stamped for Kids" and we listened to the audiobook reading of the middle-grade one).

Hi. I hope I’ve done the quote thing correctly. I haven’t posted in forever. This came up in a search. I’m combining BYL 5 with Oh Freedom. And also TL 3. I’m just wondering how combining BYL and Woke Homeschooling is going? Have you found it feasible? Any advice on how best to match up the two curricula? In flipping through them, it’s not always evident exactly what’s being studied and/or chronologically where the lesson is. Without having the books in front of me that is. I’ve not bought any books yet, but with combining I feel like I shouldn’t buy everything because obviously some things will have to get cut. Anyways, any words of wisdom? Thank you.

Edited by swimming-duck
Formatting