Menu

Any Experience with Homeschoolers Going to Georgia Tech?

jennygb

One of my rising senior's top choices for aerospace engineering is Georgia Tech. My husband and I are both GT grads, but of course, our information and experience is 2-1/2 decades out-of-date. We had never even heard of homeschooling when we were in college. Does anyone have an recent experience or impressions of Georgia Tech for homeschooled students? 

My son was just accepted to Cornell early decision, so he just pulled his application to Georgia Tech.  

We visited the math department last February.  It was our last real life experience before the lockdowns :(.  We met with a math professor to discuss computer science and math opportunities at GT.  She was absolutely wonderful, and very encouraging about our son’s homeschool experience.  

I have no idea whether my son would have been admitted or not, but I did feel that everyone we talked to on campus was extremely friendly and open to homeschooled students’ applications.

Best of luck to your student!!

• Like 1

Thanks RootAnn for the tag. Yes my dd is a freshman at Tech and loves it. They are very open to homeschoolers and we know lots of homeschoolers who have been accepted. I also know quite a number of homeschoolers In the incoming class of 2021. 
They have their requirements for unaccredited homeschoolers on their webpage and it was quite true to what we experience. They like external verification of homeschool courses especially the core courses so I think students that have - AP credits or dual enrollment are at an advantage. Most students 90% or so have AP calc or equivalent so I will advice that. 
Their admissions counselor Rick Clark blogs a lot and it is very informational. They also host Peach college tours which are virtual

now but you can search and see if their is a recording. They do like to see a a fair bit of community involvement and service. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GT uses two of its own essays instead of the long Common App personal statement.

One asks about a human problem the student would like to solve.

The other asks why the student wants to study their major specifically at Georgia Tech.

Being able to answer these clearly and meaningfully are important. Georgia Tech's admissions rate has dropped a lot over the past 4-6 years. I don't think they want to be just another application for a student.

I will also second the recommendation of Rick Clark's GT Admissions blog. It is very good.

• Like 1

PlansRMe daughter was accepted to Ga Tech in 2016 and attended  (and I think is at Stanford now for grad school). My daughter did not attend, but was accepted in 2016 and awarded the Stamps there (and was just accepted for a Ph.D program there). They seemed very open to homeschoolers at the time that my daughter applied, though it also seemed that they wanted a certain amount of validation of grades. 

• Like 1

Haven't signed in to these forums in ages and just saw the tag!  DS was accepted at GT in 2018 but is attending Cornell.  He had a lot of exam scores to validate grades, but nothing else - no DE credit or outside classes other than a few PAH AP classes.  He did several home-brewed AP classes and scored well.  Everything I learned about how to do transcripts and course descriptions I learned here and from the hs2coll group (but mostly here).  So thankful for all these parents willing to share their experience.

• Like 3