Menu

New to me Auditory Processing Therapy--remote options

kbutton

I learned about a new-to-me peer-reviewed therapy for auditory processing from Acoustic Pioneer. The testing can be administered by and purchased through an audiologist, SLP, or psychologist that is willing to sign up for the program. https://acousticpioneer.com/home1.html

The program is computerized, so both the evaluation and the therapy can be done at home. Once the program is purchased from a professional, families have something like 3 years to complete the program.

If a child needs therapy, the computerized test generates a report that recommends 1 to 2 programs of therapy, depending on which areas need remediation. The therapy programs are also done at home (video game format, 30 minutes a couple of times per week). The setup is usually on a tablet with calibrated headphones (Amazon, @ $10). I believe the assessment is called Feather Squadron.

The age range for this program goes down to at least age 5 (might be younger), which is younger than some testing/therapies for APD.

The cost for this program is lower than some therapies, especially ones that require a lot of individualization.

Additionally, audiologists, SLPs, and other professionals that belong to igaps, which is a professional organization for people who treat APD, are able to do APD evaluations remotely due to COVID. Depending on what therapy is recommended, many can also deliver the therapy remotely. You can check out their website for a provider in your state (a few providers are licensed in multiple states).

I thought this information might open up an opportunity for testing for some of you who don't have a therapist in your geographic area. 

My son had APD therapy in the last couple of years, and it was incredibly helpful. I like to post new resources/opportunities/organizations from time to time as I hear about them.

• Like 2