Menu

For fun: TV shows you wish were real

Spryte

Kind of a spin off of another thread not-to-be-named.

What shows do you wish were based on reality?  

Stranger Things?  Demigorgons are scary, but I totally agree that we lose things to the upside down all the time! Pretty sure it’s the resting place to the mates of unmatched socks, and there is a portal to it inside the dryer. Suddenly have an excuse not to do the laundry ...

How about Magic Schoolbus?  Wouldn’t it be awesome to send your kids out with Ms. Frizzle?!?  

And my favorite ... Supernatural.  Because Sam and Dean.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tanaqui said:

Star Trek. I want to live in a post-scarcity utopia with replicators and transporters. Wait - given all the plots that involve transporters, I think I'll walk everywhere.

Oh my, yes.  I would definitely live in that world.  Happily.

Hmmm. Considering the shows I'm currently watching I don't think I'd want any of them to be real. Narcos (sadly based on reality), CSI, The Medici. Nope.

Nothing pre-antibiotics or pre-modern medicine thank you.  That leaves Downton Abbey out. Plus with my luck I'd probably be in the servant class, which was way worse than depicted in the show.

I'll add my vote for Magic School Bus, Gilmore Girls, and the Star Trek world.

In addition to the above I'd like The West Wing because I'd want people working in whatever administration to be there out of a sense of duty to the country, no matter the party. 

Cheers, in case I want to go where everybody knows my name and they're always glad I came. Maybe they'd shout KAT! instead of NORM! when I came in.

Also possibly Friends. Wouldn't it be nice to be barely out of university, sometimes unemployed, and able to afford the kind of NYC apartments they lived in? 😂 Plus I want to hang out at Central Perk. The fictional one.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

I could live in one of the later Star Trek time lines. One with little use for money, and pretty much everyone is their best self (at least most of the time). I would also love to be in a time, when most health issues can be cured. It is okay to be a geek. The technology means that you can create what you want/need as you need it, so very little needs to be stored. There is no hunger and minimal disease. The environment is intact. Possibilities are endless. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ethel Mertz said:

At the risk of dating myself, Bewitched.

World's best show!  At least it was when I was a kid.  I think I'll pick that one too.  🙂 

I used to walk home from school every day for lunch starting in 1st grade (my elementary school was just a block away), and I'd always get home just in time to watch Bewitched AND have enough time to watch the entire half-hour show.  My mother let me have lunch with the TV on so I could watch it.  

Maybe another show would be MASH.  Somehow they make working and living in a MASH unit together seem inspiring and fulfilling, and of course even fun, with Hawkeye and Trapper.  🙂  (Obviously if it were real-life it would probably be pretty terrible!)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J-rap said:

I used to walk home from school every day for lunch starting in 1st grade (my elementary school was just a block away), and I'd always get home just in time to watch Bewitched AND have enough time to watch the entire half-hour show.  My mother let me have lunch with the TV on so I could watch it.  

I love this so much. 

When I was in kindergarten (half day, of course!), my mom would serve me lunch on a tv tray while I watched cartoons (Underdog, Go Go Gophers, Tennessee Tuxedo). Heaven.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I love this so much. 

When I was in kindergarten (half day, of course!), my mom would serve me lunch on a tv tray while I watched cartoons (Underdog, Go Go Gophers, Tennessee Tuxedo). Heaven.

Aw, fun memories.  Also, I used to love those cartoons!  For some reason I often think of the phrase "humble and lovable" from Underdog.  🙂 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Warning: Its pretty violent. I usually avoid violence on tv, but I got sucked in to this one. 

Thanks for the heads up!  I don’t mind violence, if there’s a sort of tension between good and evil, if that makes sense.  Violence just to be gruesome with no redeeming outcome, not so much.

Plus, I’m fresh off the last seasons of Last Kingdom and Vikings, so probably won’t even blink.  Hahaha!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

I was thinking about this thread, and thought if Dr Who is the world I’d like to live in, which show wouldn’t I want to live in? I came up with Doc Martin. I mean, has anyone calculated the life-threatening injury per capita rating of Portwenn? It must be insanely high! 😂

Right?!  I can think of lots of shows that I definitely don’t want to live in.  Violent, dystopian future are out, for me.  Lots of historical fiction - nope.  

I think my favorite here is Star Trek.  Totally on board with that one!

• Like 1

Historical fiction isn't too bad when you're the one swishing around in the gorgeous period dress, especially if the emphasis in the source material was on the fiction rather than the history - Versailles doesn't stink and neither does London, nobody has smallpox scars, and if everybody doesn't agree with your modern viewpoint, at the very least the people important to you do and because you're the one in the fancy clothes, you can get others to go along with it... even if only in your presence. (Until they see that your ideas are self-evidently correct, of course.)

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Historical fiction isn't too bad when you're the one swishing around in the gorgeous period dress, especially if the emphasis in the source material was on the fiction rather than the history - Versailles doesn't stink and neither does London, nobody has smallpox scars, and if everybody doesn't agree with your modern viewpoint, at the very least the people important to you do and because you're the one in the fancy clothes, you can get others to go along with it... even if only in your presence. (Until they see that your ideas are self-evidently correct, of course.)

Definitely!  🤣 Fancy clothes, modern ideas, no smell.  Ok!

I was thinking of historical fiction shows like Vikings and The Last Kingdom.  Aaack.  I would not survive those worlds, as portrayed.  Nope.  Nope-ity Nope. I watch those types of shows while I work out because they make me work harder, but yikes, I would be the red shirt who dies fast, after a short cameo.  

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Schitt's Creek.

Stories that do no depend on violence. Family both biological and chosen. Flawed human beings, for sure, but essentially nice, decent people who love each other.

This is what I was going to say too.  For the very same reasons.  I simply love the relationships in this show. 

My second choice would be Gilmore Girls.  Stars Hollow would be both fun and heartwarming to live in.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ditto said:

This is what I was going to say too.  For the very same reasons.  I simply love the relationships in this show. 

My second choice would be Gilmore Girls.  Stars Hollow would be both fun and heartwarming to live in.

I also thought of Gilmore Girls. I think I would find the non-stop emotional drama of the later seasons exhausting and upsetting, but I would dearly love to live in Stars Hollow.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2021 at 3:57 AM, I talk to the trees said:

I was thinking about this thread, and thought if Dr Who is the world I’d like to live in, which show wouldn’t I want to live in? I came up with Doc Martin. I mean, has anyone calculated the life-threatening injury per capita rating of Portwenn? It must be insanely high! 😂

Up there with the arson rate in Pontypandy.

• Like 1