Menu

It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, NOW!!

Kareni

One of my dds hung Christmas lights all along the ceilings f our first floor and we all loved them so much they have stayed up all year and turned on everyday at dusk. The neighbor knocked on our door a few months ago and asked if we were doing some kind of stranger things thing and I laughed and said no, and none of us have ever seen stranger things! It makes the perfect light to watch tv by and is just nice. 
 We’ve gotten so used to them that if we are busy and forget to plug them in, the house feels weird 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I had a great idea of doing photo albums for the college age but it isn't looking great so I need a new idea. Mostly, they need money. 😕

Younger two already have their Christmas gift because they needed skies early for the ski team so now what? 

Wrap a bunch of pretty boxes so the tree doesn't look sad? 🤣

Trying think of little thoughtful gifts for teenagers. It may be a lotion, comb, and sock year. My daughter can always use a journal and the boys like warm socks but the tree will look pretty empty. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saraha said:

One of my dds hung Christmas lights all along the ceilings f our first floor and we all loved them so much they have stayed up all year and turned on everyday at dusk. The neighbor knocked on our door a few months ago and asked if we were doing some kind of stranger things thing and I laughed and said no, and none of us have ever seen stranger things! It makes the perfect light to watch tv by and is just nice. 
 We’ve gotten so used to them that if we are busy and forget to plug them in, the house feels weird 

you can get a smart plug.  You can control them via your phone, you don't need alexa/etc.   You can also put them on a timer  to go on and  off when you want them too. - there is a switch on them, so you can still do it manually.

I bought some for my pavilion/deck lights so I don't have the hassle having to go find the plug to turn them on - I can just use my phone. 

I bought my first remote plug  a number of years ago for my christmas tree - so I didn't have to go behind all the furniture to turn it on.  Then I got remote plugs for the lamps in my living room and family room. . . 

• Like 3

I've put off reading this thread until now, but my goodness you ladies are so ahead!

I'm stumped for gifts.  I generally buy most of my gifts at the Common Ground Fair but it was canceled for the second year in a row.  I know they have the vendors on the website but I'm a tactile sort of shopper and much prefer to pick something up and visualize the person I'm considering it for and how they would use it.  I often buy yarn there for gifts and it's just hard to not see the colors or feel the texture in person.

Three young kitties and a real Christmas tree - I foresee conflict 🙂

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

you can get a smart plug.  You can control them via your phone, you don't need alexa/etc.   You can also put them on a timer  to go on and  off when you want them too. - there is a switch on them, so you can still do it manually.

I bought some for my pavilion/deck lights so I don't have the hassle having to go find the plug to turn them on - I can just use my phone. 

I bought my first remote plug  a number of years ago for my christmas tree - so I didn't have to go behind all the furniture to turn it on.  Then I got remote plugs for the lamps in my living room and family room. . . 

Good idea!

Yeah, dh says it’s college dorm circa 1992 decorating, but I don’t care, they make me happy everyday 😆. The neighbors think we’re weird though and anytime someone stops by they just look around and go oooookaaaaayyyy but I stopped caring what people think about half way through 2020 😆

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Harpymom said:

Three young kitties and a real Christmas tree - I foresee conflict 🙂

I wish we still had this problem. haha. Mostly ours have just batted the lower ornaments a little but I do remember one as a child that climbed the tree!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, saraha said:

I grew up with twinkle lights in the basement all year long.  We have twinkle lights going back and forth across the basement ceiling by where we watch tv.  So cheerful!

• Like 4

I have no idea what we are doing about Christmas. Dh and I were supposed to be in Africa the entire month of December ( him leaving this past week). I know we are doing Thanksgiving with mom. Typically, mom and I do not exchange gifts. We agreed over a decade ago that neither of us needed anything, so just to donate to a meaningful charity. One year she gave an operation for a child to have a cleft palate/cleft lip repaired ( I was born with that.) I guess I will donate to breast cancer research or something this year.

But our kids... They will be 26, 24, and 20. They don't really need anything. I don't need anything. I could come up with creative ideas, but to be honest, between school and taking care of mom I don't have the energy. Probably just boring gift cards to places they like to eat/movies/Amazon.   I have to admit that Christmas was much more fun when they were in elementary school.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2021 at 6:42 AM, TexasProud said:

I have no idea what we are doing about Christmas. Dh and I were supposed to be in Africa the entire month of December ( him leaving this past week). I know we are doing Thanksgiving with mom. Typically, mom and I do not exchange gifts. We agreed over a decade ago that neither of us needed anything, so just to donate to a meaningful charity. One year she gave an operation for a child to have a cleft palate/cleft lip repaired ( I was born with that.) I guess I will donate to breast cancer research or something this year.

But our kids... They will be 26, 24, and 20. They don't really need anything. I don't need anything. I could come up with creative ideas, but to be honest, between school and taking care of mom I don't have the energy. Probably just boring gift cards to places they like to eat/movies/Amazon.   I have to admit that Christmas was much more fun when they were in elementary school.

I agree.   I miss those early years and now ds20 just wants money.   Every year, I still get him one 'toy', though, just to appease me.  This year, it's a glow-in-the-dark football.  Last year it was a small container of play foam and something else like that.   I think it's become a tradition now for him to get something 'fun' (even if it's me who considers the item fun, lol).   But, yeah, this buying gift cards and giving money is for the birds. 😞

• Like 3

I've started! Legos are in the house, got the last two small Harry Potter jammies at Costco, and I got enough snowy stamps for the Christmas letter. Hallmark's buy one get one free sale here starts tomorrow and I'll get some Christmas wrapping paper there (I like theirs best).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two!!
4 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Even Lands End is saying to shop early as they have some shipping issues.

Yes, I am worried. Dh wants to wait until Black Friday online sales for two gifts for the grandsons, but I really think that could be a very bad idea. The only thing I think could work would be ship to store, assuming he gets them from a store we have access to within an hour to hour and half drive, and then curbside pick up since they would arrive on a truck for that company with lots of other things instead of being dependent on USPS and UPS. But I would just prefer that he get them on the way now. My last JoAnns order which had items not available at any of the stores in my region took two weeks to arrive by FedEx. I cannot imagine how bad it will be a month from now!

• Like 2

I ordered something from etsy this weekend, shipping from Germany. I just got the delivery information--my delivery window is around December 10th. I just wanted to give a heads up here in case someone is thinking of ordering something to your home and then shipping it on to family elsewhere. Regular USPS packages between my house and family are taking 10-12 days now. 😞 (We just got Halloween packages in the mail and I checked postmarks.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, ONE!!

I've been done for the most part, I did buy a new tree this year, the boys will be highly annoyed when they find out it's a huge pink tree!!! 😙 

I saved Halloween candy for the stockings and already have stash of bags, wrapping paper, etc. Still have to wrap everything and buy my niece and her hubby liquor and a game....it's a tradition! Not sure what I'll get my other niece and her hubby if they come out

• Like 3

I'm ready!   This has not been a great year and I am more than ready for it to be done.  My fervent hope is that after a horrible 2 years, maybe, just maybe, 2022 will be kind and gentle.  But, back to Christmas, it will be a quiet simple Christmas.    All prep work that needs to be done is done.  All candy and all food (except fresh) is bought.  Presents, done.   I even simplified the decorations down to just fresh live decorations that will go out back for the birds once Christmas is over.   

While Christmas is completed, I can't say the same for next 9 weeks lesson plans!  Those will be completed next week (we finish our 2nd 9 weeks of school in 2 weeks and then have 4 glorious weeks off!).

• Like 3

Lots of Christmas stuff happening now--I really picked up steam in November. We have the few outdoor lights that we're going to have done. I have many (but not all) presents, some of them wrapped. I was hoping to have the tree out by now to have time to debug the lights, take down the dead strings, install some new ones. That has not happened yet, but maybe this weekend. Need to write the annual letter soon too.

• Like 2

For me, it's not just Christmas.  I can handle that.  But my four adult kids and two girlfriends are coming and going for weeks during the holiday season and we don't have enough bedrooms, bathrooms, or refrigerator space for so many people.  And deciding on meals and shopping is always a nightmare because of different diets, preferences, appetites, etc.  It's just very very stressful.  

On top of that, we just found out my MIL's cancer spread to her liver and I'm 13 days away from having major reconstructive surgery on my foot, which will require a minimum of six weeks of bedrest with my foot elevated.  I have to have EVERYTHING ready by then and try to organize everything to make it as easy as possible for my poor DH.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, NOW!!