Menu

It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, NOW!!

Kareni

I asked the kids what they wanted Christmas to look like this year----and especially what their thoughts were about Christmas trees. We retired our faux Christmas tree last year after several limbs broke off. It turns out the kids don't really care, and more importantly, are irritated by the space it takes up. We go to a mini-tree only this year.

I've got a list going for presents, but haven't done much about it yet. 

• Like 3

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three!

I ordered from Lego and the box was delivered in a week. When I compared shipping times between Amazon and target, Target was faster by days.

That is so frustrating to track a package and see it sitting for days.

I’ve asked what people would like for Christmas and it’s mostly electronics which is hard to get too early because of return policies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

She did her best. 

I've ordered some sashiko snowflakes to move onto for Xmas decorations, once I've done the mountain, but unfortunately they are also for me. Oops! 

If it makes you feel better, I've only bought three gifts, two for me and one for DH. Kids are hard when they are older. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

If it makes you feel better, I've only bought three gifts, two for me and one for DH. Kids are hard when they are older. 

I think I'm going to make bookmarks + book vouchers + homemade chocolate truffles for my extended family. 

For the kids, no idea! Dd1 maybe one of those microgreens kits. Dd2 and partner - no idea. DS and girlfriend - no idea. 

• Like 3

@Melissa Louise, I love that!   I'd keep it for myself, too!

well, thanks to this thread and the reports of slow shipping, I got anxious and finished up last night (except for my niece--I'll order hers probably this week after I talk to sil.). Anything else between now and Christmas will just be a bonus gift.    This year has just royally sucked and I am determined to have a stress-free December, Lord willing.   Getting my shopping done takes a load off.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We got lucky and now have the main presents for our kids.  

My nephew received a used Nintendo Switch plus game and spare controller for his birthday, but his family doesn't allow video games, so we bought it from him.  We have a little handheld switch for ds7 to use during waiting for doctor's appointments and as an incentive for doing all his physical therapies and meds.  This one will be ds9's gift, and ds7 will get the controller and new game, so they can play together.  

My mom had a surprise for me, too.  She saved a doll sized cast-iron stove of my grandma's that I loved when I saw it years ago, and arranged to have it brought across the country when my aunt moved.  (It would have cost an incredible amount to ship.  It certainly weighs more than ds7.)  It needs some cleaning, but will be the most awesome present for my girls to go with their American Girl dolls.  It has some dishes with it, but I am thinking it needs something more.  Not sure what, yet.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

My mom had a surprise for me, too.  She saved a doll sized cast-iron stove of my grandma's that I loved when I saw it years ago, and arranged to have it brought across the country when my aunt moved....

What a wonderful gift from your mother! If you are able to share a picture at some point, I'd love to see it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I did the last of my birthday/Christmas ordering (one kid has a late December birthday) this weekend. I wanted to warn y'all that while most of the stuff will be arriving this week or next month or November, I do have one gift that already has an expected arrival date in December. Those shipping delays are going to be a doozy this year!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I suppose it is time to see if the lights work.  They are indeed still hung up outside but we haven't plugged them in in months.  Funny enough, a few months ago my mom had 2 friends over for lunch so I had to get the tree out of the foyer.  But I was in a huge rush that day and just shoved it in the foyer closet.  Well it pressing up against the closet doors but so much pressure on the hinges that the screws came out (they must have already been stripped.)  So the door swung open earlier this week and the tree is back on the foyer floor 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I suppose it is time to see if the lights work.  They are indeed still hung up outside but we haven't plugged them in in months.  Funny enough, a few months ago my mom had 2 friends over for lunch so I had to get the tree out of the foyer.  But I was in a huge rush that day and just shoved it in the foyer closet.  Well it pressing up against the closet doors but so much pressure on the hinges that the screws came out (they must have already been stripped.)  So the door swung open earlier this week and the tree is back on the foyer floor 🤣 

Girl you are so ahead now!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Calamityware Christmas mugs are in! 

Just ordered a set of 4 12-ounce (one each for me and Dd, then two for gifts) and a set of  2 of the 20 ounce (one each for Dh and Ds). 

Eta, I need to go back a reread this thread! 

Just ordered, thanks for posting!  I would've never thought to check yet.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

With supply chains being what they are, I feel like any holiday ordering is going to need to be done very soon.

Dh and I are discussing letting our kids go to winter camp. This would be their big gift and eliminate shipping concerns. 

Replaces shipping with driving. Ugh! But it is big fun for them and gives me and dh several days kid-free.  

• Like 7

Ordering a smart speaker and an advent lego set for Ds. Done!!

Dd will get new curtains and art for her room. Last year I did subscription boxes for her and they were a big hit (Birchbox and an art one), but I’ll wait to do them again in a few years. 

Stockings: Calamityware mug, Christmas (or just winter) t-shirt, Starbucks card, chocolate, socks, nice pens, and playing cards.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

We are going with family memory making/experience for all the adults. But it is hard to plan what that is going to be since we don't know yet what covid will look like at Christmas break, and if our high risk by then nearly 6 year old grandson will be vaccinated. Everyone else has been, and will get third doses or boosters as available. That will leave our 2 year old grandson. My daughter is trying to teach him to wear a mask now, but that takes time with one so young. So what we can plan to do is going to depend so greatly on what covid case loads, hospitalizations, etc. look like by the middle of December. We kind of wanted to drive everyone over to the aquarium in Chattanooga and then have a nice dinner, but that is indoors. I need to start earnestly researching a special outdoor memory making option. We would consider renting a pontoon boat, a big one, and have a picnic out while cruising the Tennessee River, however, we have one son that gets motion sickness and has been so sick on one of his friend's boats, that he absolutely refuses to ever get on another one. Back to the drawing board.

We will have a small, fun gift for each person under the tree, and a big gift and a small gift each for the grandboys. Those are things I simply must nail down now since shipping and shortages are getting worse.

Probably one of the main things we decided was to add Aebleskiver to our repertoire for Danish Smorrebrod on Christmas Eve. We just ordered the pan for making it, and Mark has been watching videos of how to make it correctly while working up a GF version for our son in law and me. Wheat allergies.

Ds and I have also come up with a decorating plan, and I am spending the last two weeks of October with them at the mountain house and will be hauling a bunch of stuff for Christmas. Then somehow I am supposed to go down the first week of Dec. after getting our ds back to his college campus, get home, and three days later make the trip back to the U.P. to pick him up after finals week, so that we can then leave the 19th for Alabama! Oy! Just livin' on the road! But, she needs help getting the house ready for such a big infusion of people.

• Like 3

My daughter is arriving today from South Korea; it will be the first time we're together in two and a half years, and we are very excited.

I did a fair bit of wrapping the other day, so that she can carry Christmas and other gifts back with her. 

18 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

USPS international delivery to various countries, includes NZ and Australia, has been suspended/disrupted until ….(?)

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

Interestingly, while we have been able to send letters to her, Korea Mail has not been accepting US bound mail for about a year now. She can send parcels (at high cost) by a different provider.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

My daughter is arriving today from South Korea; it will be the first time we're together in two and a half years, and we are very excited.

I did a fair bit of wrapping the other day, so that she can carry Christmas and other gifts back with her. 

Interestingly, while we have been able to send letters to her, Korea Mail has not been accepting US bound mail for about a year now. She can send parcels (at high cost) by a different provider.

Regards,

Kareni

How exciting!  This brought a tear to my eye!

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

So lovely to read this Kareni 💟

What a beautiful, exciting, visit for you all.  (That counts for the best (!) early Christmas present.) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Probably one of the main things we decided was to add Aebleskiver to our repertoire for Danish Smorrebrod on Christmas Eve. We just ordered the pan for making it, and Mark has been watching videos of how to make it correctly while working up a GF version for our son in law and me. Wheat allergies.

We always have Aebleskivers on Christmas morning and my son has perfected the cooking technique. He finds that using chopsticks to rotate them during cooking works best.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kareni said:

How wonderful!  I am so thrilled, excited, and happy for you and your family!!!!  ❤️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

So lovely to read this Kareni 💟

What a beautiful, exciting, visit for you all.  (That counts for the best (!) early Christmas present.) 

7 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@Kareni Enjoy your visit!!!! Will she stay long?

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

How wonderful!  I am so thrilled, excited, and happy for you and your family!!!!  ❤️

Her visit is indeed a wonderful early Christmas gift! 

We are having a great time just doing normal things like eating meals and walking to the store. My husband has waited for her arrival to harvest the potatoes from the garden.  (You can see we live an exciting life!) Tomorrow she and I will start visiting thrift stores to refurbish her wardrobe.

She will leave two weeks from yesterday so a nice amount of time.

Thanks for sharing my happiness!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

This is why I've pretty much completed my holiday shopping.  I was nervous about this.  Waiting on a toy to get here for my niece and I'll get my nephew a UGA shirt from a local store and then i'm done with non-monetary gifts.   

• Like 2

I have wrapped presents for some family members now. My FedEx packages arrived, a month late (on two day delivery).   I need to finish up my ordering this week. 

My new mini 2' Christmas tree is here.

I have acquired stuffing and canned pumpkin for pie for Thanksgiving. (Y'all--canned pumpkin is hard to find here, and triple the usual price.  Apparently there are aluminum and steel shortages affecting canned goods? Just FYI....)

I tried to talk my family into just doing ski passes for this Christmas but no one liked my idea. We literally can see the mountain from our house, but it's a no go. So, plan B. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have wrapped presents for some family members now. My FedEx packages arrived, a month late (on two day delivery).   I need to finish up my ordering this week. 

My new mini 2' Christmas tree is here.

I have acquired stuffing and canned pumpkin for pie for Thanksgiving. (Y'all--canned pumpkin is hard to find here, and triple the usual price.  Apparently there are aluminum and steel shortages affecting canned goods? Just FYI....)

I tried to talk my family into just doing ski passes for this Christmas but no one liked my idea. We literally can see the mountain from our house, but it's a no go. So, plan B. 

Crap.   That is all.   😞

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Crap.   That is all.   😞

Yep.  Christmas is the most stressful time of the year for me - I'm a huge ball of anxiety and stress for the two months prior to the holiday.  I need to change something but I don't know what. 

ETA - oops - you were referring to the shortages!  I was referring to the actual holiday.  Sorry! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

We have most everything now, but we haven't ironed out what experience will be the main gift for all the adults. A lot depends on covid levels during that time because it will dictate how many other humans we are willing to have contact with so at the moment playing it by ear.

We do still have some meal planning to do, and haven't made the assignment list for who is cooking and when. Dd and I are not doing everything. Youngest ds has offered to do a taco meal twice, and he knows how to do it in line with dsil's allergies, so we will be taking him up on it. We have Danish Smorgasbrod ironed out, and my mom and dh are doing Christmas day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

Yep.  Christmas is the most stressful time of the year for me - I'm a huge ball of anxiety and stress for the two months prior to the holiday.  I need to change something but I don't know what. 

ETA - oops - you were referring to the shortages!  I was referring to the actual holiday.  Sorry! 

Oh no, trust me, I'm anxious all of December, too.   That's why this year I've made some changes.   First, I got shopping done early.  Secondly, I'm not putting my tree up until thanksgiving or maybe even early December.   I usually do it in early November (and have done it in October before, too), but I found last year that the longer it stayed up, the more anxious I got.    I don't do well with clutter, and Christmas stuff everywhere for weeks on end was making me crazy.   Third, instead of cooking, I'm planning on biting the bullet and buying food from a couple of local businesses.   I love Christmas, but also loathe it (not the meaning of it, but the expectations and stress).   I am hoping this year goes smoothly.   

• Like 3