Menu

It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, NOW!!

Kareni

37 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Here's what I did of my sewing over April:

Yes, you do see correctly. I have sewn two - 2!! - stitches. 

I hope you all feel motivated by my fine example of Christmas prep. 

IMG20210426094648.jpg

You are light years ahead of me!  Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My tree is still up. I just didn’t feel like taking it down. We did take the Christmas decorations off, though. DD put hearts up for Valentine’s day and we put eggs on for Easter. My SIL had a great idea. May will be a Memorial Day Tree, June will be Flag Day and July will be Independence Day. All the same decorations.

• Like 4

I'm glad this thread was bumped up because I can be amused at how cute I was in February - all looking forward to seeing inlaws and celebrating Christmas with them. Awwwww.

I'm now two months and one very short in-laws visit wiser.

Back to dreading Christmas as is my tradition. Or planning a 3-week-long trip that takes us out of the country over the holidays to avoid everyone we're related to.

omg.

• Like 6

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven!
11 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Time continues to have no meaning but appears to have no meaning faster!  😁

I am really thrown off lately!

I can't believe we might actually be able to plan a normal Christmas!

*crosses fingers*

How can 2021 seem to be lasting FOREVER (I just need the pandemic to be OVER) and yet I also want to whine that we just had Christmas and I am not even close to halfway ready to be thinking about it?

And no, DS10, if that’s really you disguised as @Kareni, I will NOT give you a stamp so you can send Santa your list in May.  The man is still on vacation so do not even ask.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I took down my Christmas lights this week. Winter is so gloomy here that having some extra soft light at night occasionally was fun.

I need to buy a new fake Christmas tree.  Suggestions of where to look or when to buy?

We keep our lights longer for the same reason!

Last year was our very first artificial tree.  We love our silver tree from Treetopia!  (I can't vouch for durability yet.)

https://www.treetopia.com/v/m/product.asp?SKU=2809177&c=silver-tinsel-christmas-tree&PARENT=silver-christmas-tree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

And no, DS10, if that’s really you disguised as @Kareni, I will NOT give you a stamp so you can send Santa your list in May.  The man is still on vacation so do not even ask.  

But mmmmoooooommmm....

Regards,

Kareni

• Haha 2

The thing I hate the most about this thread is that on December 20th I won't be able to be *shocked!* that Christmas is in 5 days. With this monthly tick-tick-tick down, all of my normal holiday ignorance has no excuse and I'll have to have a tree up in the normal fashion instead of on the 24th while the kids are sleeping and I still haven't found any wrapping paper. Sigh, another holiday tradition ruined! 

On 4/25/2021 at 7:09 PM, KrissiK said:

My tree is still up. I just didn’t feel like taking it down. We did take the Christmas decorations off, though. DD put hearts up for Valentine’s day and we put eggs on for Easter. My SIL had a great idea. May will be a Memorial Day Tree, June will be Flag Day and July will be Independence Day. All the same decorations.

So I'm going to need you to write a blog article with photos on this, so I can print and show to my DH as a totally acceptable and "all the cool kids" are doing it plan, because if I now have to have my tree up on time I can't also be expected to take it down, LOL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six!
On 5/25/2021 at 1:58 PM, Moonhawk said:

The thing I hate the most about this thread is that on December 20th I won't be able to be *shocked!* that Christmas is in 5 days. With this monthly tick-tick-tick down, all of my normal holiday ignorance has no excuse and I'll have to have a tree up in the normal fashion instead of on the 24th while the kids are sleeping

This isn't ignorance.  This is embracing European traditions. 

and I still haven't found any wrapping paper.

This is called being environmentally friendly. 

Sigh, another holiday tradition ruined! 

You were just ahead of your time.

So I'm going to need you to write a blog article with photos on this, so I can print and show to my DH as a totally acceptable and "all the cool kids" are doing it plan, because if I now have to have my tree up on time I can't also be expected to take it down, LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 10 year old called my pregnant SIL to try to convince her to have the baby today, because sharing a half birthday with Jesus would be super cool!!! Plus then your presents are exactly 6 months apart so you never have to wait too long. 

I really should have taught sex ed better.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

and my lights are still hanging up outside.  and the fake tree is still dismantled and in the foyer

My tree gets shoved into the living room closet, fully assembled and decorated.  A deep closet is a glorious thing.  

I've already gotten my mom and fil's main gift.   I've gotten my son's gf pretty much all her stocking stuffers.   I still have a few ss to get ds.  They're getting a stocking, money, a gift to open, and one joint house gift.   Parents and in-laws are getting one main gift and a couple bags of candied pecans from the store my son's gf works at.   Niece, whatever toy she wants.  Nephew, some money.   I want a stress-free Christmas this year!   

• Like 3

I'm starting to notice good gift ideas for me. Isn't that helpful? I need a new spatula (perfect for my stocking) and might want another band for my Apple Watch (the white I have is good for summer, but the black leather band at the store where I got my iphone battery replaced looked nice...). And disabled dd needs a new nonstick pan for her morning eggs (she gets one for Christmas every few years--whenever the old nonstick becomes stick).

Other than that, still just saving 15% of each paycheck...

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

My tree gets shoved into the living room closet, fully assembled and decorated.  A deep closet is a glorious thing.  

Glorious indeed. We aren't having people over so there has been zero rush to get the house in order. Originally, is was a basement leak that kept the tree upstairs. Now it is just laziness and having higher priorities at the moment.

• Like 2

So, am I the only one whose kids have convinced them to make Christmas cookies today?  We have a practice in our family of celebrating family half birthdays with a special dessert cut in half, and according to my son Jesus is part of our family and He likes cookies.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

and my lights are still hanging up outside.  and the fake tree is still dismantled and in the foyer

I'm enjoying your reliability!

3 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I'm starting to notice good gift ideas for me. Isn't that helpful?

I think so... but I may be biased!

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, am I the only one whose kids have convinced them to make Christmas cookies today?  We have a practice in our family of celebrating family half birthdays with a special dessert cut in half, and according to my son Jesus is part of our family and He likes cookies.  

I think you have wise children. I'd be happy to eat Christmas cookies if any were to wend there way here.

Regards,

Kareni

3 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

My tree gets shoved into the living room closet, fully assembled and decorated.  A deep closet is a glorious thing

I think I have closet envy!

3 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

I want a stress-free Christmas this year!

You are in good company. Congratulations on having completed some of your shopping.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Just now, Kareni said:

I think you have wise children. I'd be happy to eat Christmas cookies if any were to wend there way here.

Regards,

Kareni

Do you prefer the right half or the left half of your gingerbread people?  You can not have both since it is not Jesus’s whole birthday but feel free to eat 3 left halves.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Do you prefer the right half or the left half of your gingerbread people?  You can not have both since it is not Jesus’s whole birthday but feel free to eat 3 left halves.  

I am unbiased and will happily eat those three left halves. When I'm done, there will be none left.

Regards,

Kareni

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, am I the only one whose kids have convinced them to make Christmas cookies today?   

My DS16 wants me to start on the Christmas pudding or brandy cake. I could probably start buying nuts and dicing dried fruits (and not eating them all up). 

e.g.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/make-mature-christmas-cake

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I don’t know you, but I like you. A lot. 

As for the thread in general... @Kareni stop. Just STOP.  😂😭😭

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

I think I am going to significantly simplify my gift giving this year by buying my nieces and nephews each a book, tucking a modest amount of cash into the front cover and calling it done.  That’s most of my shopping each year as we only have two sons and my husband and I don’t do big gifts for Christmas for each other.  That shortens my list to: older son, younger son, father, MIL, GMIL and probably something for my brother (who as a single parent, doesn’t get much in the way of gifts).  Recently father, MIL and GMIL get things like slippers from us.  

Now I just have to decide how much cash to give and how to work out how to tactfully give different amounts of money.  I would want to give more cash to my older niece and nephew than my younger nieces (younger nieces have more stably employed/attentive parent and get a lot at Christmas from their divorced parents whereas my older niece and nephew pretty much get their Christmas presents here because parents are addicts and unstable.) Maybe everyone over 18 gets a set amount and everyone under 18 gets an amount based on their age?  I would like to make this my new thing since I think teens want cash more than anything anyways.  Ages are: 26 and married, 19, 15, 14 and 12.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

Now if I put that tree away I'll be disappointing the Hive. That is a lot of pressure. I just told dh that and his response was, " you know I just tripped over the tree the other day coming downstairs in the dark and thought now is probably a good time to put it away. But then I just walked passed it and didn't put it away. Safe bet it'll be there until November when we set it back up."😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Now if I put that tree away I'll be disappointing the Hive. That is a lot of pressure. I just told dh that and his response was, " you know I just tripped over the tree the other day coming downstairs in the dark and thought now is probably a good time to put it away. But then I just walked passed it and didn't put it away. Safe bet it'll be there until November when we set it back up."😂

Ha ha.  You go from being behind because you didn't put it away to at some point being ahead because you already have your tree out of storage and your lights up.    

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ha ha.  You go from being behind because you didn't put it away to at some point being ahead because you already have your tree out of storage and your lights up.    

Yesterday was that point. The balance has shifted.  From now on we have removed from "recovering from Christmas" to "getting ready for Christmas".

Actually, in our house, the rule is that you can't make a Christmas list until after your birthday in July.  Some years, I have gotten the first of many drafts of letters to Santa the day after.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five!
2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

One of my DD's got her ears (re-) pierced yesterday at the mall. She commented on a couple of things at Claire's she liked, so I've got to get over there and pick them up and stash them for Christmas.

Good thinking.  I always feel like an undercover spy listening to them say things they like or clue into what they are talking about a lot.  Especially as they get older.  I feel like the younger kids ask for everything they want.  My oldest won't ask for anything at all or it will be really small things, like a ball of yarn.  I can't get her a ball a yarn and then give the younger ones some expensive thing.  

• Like 2

• Kareni changed the title to It is ten months until Christmas...now nine, eight, seven, six, five, four!

And yet another month has zipped by!

I recently ordered a personalized pillow cover for my daughter. It will have nine locations embroidered on it: her birthplace, places we used to camp, our current location, a town in Italy she visited with her high school Latin group, her college town, the location of her study abroad in NZ, and the city in South Korea where she now lives. It will be a total surprise, and I think she'll like it. This is the fourth order I've placed with this vendor; I've been pleased with her work. If interested, it's HillaryMasonDesigns.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4