Menu

Another math class question

What's the best math class for this kid? Rising sixth grader.

He went through Singapore Math in the early grades. I've switched him over to Beast Academy. He has finished Khan Academy Pre-algebra and BA5. While I could continue teaching him math, I think at this point, he'd benefit from a group of kids in a class where he can share problem solving strategies. I had him do the AOPS placements. He's either clearly ready for Pre-Algebra 2 or almost ready for Algebra I. He also has a mild dyslexia, so the AOPS book is too text heavy. He vastly prefers the format of BA to their PA book. He also gets anxious and is considerably more comfortable in a smaller group. FWIW, I'm likely to continue homeschooling him through middle school, but I may have to find a public or private school for him in high school due to family health issues. I'm concerned about putting him in algebra I in 6th and then not having a placement for him in high school. We live in an area that does not have a sixth grade algebra class and most schools do not have a seventh grade algebra class. He's definitely STEM oriented so I want to nurture that, but not overwhelm him.

I'm looking specifically for a class with a mathy environment with lots of opportunities for group problem solving. I'm debating between WTM and AOPS. A three day a week WTM class seems preferable because of frequency, but I know that AOPS markets itself as class for mathy kids. Is there another course you'd recommend instead? He'd mostly likely qualify for CTY, but I have not submitted paperwork at this point. 

Thx.

If you are looking for him to work in a small and share problem solving techniques, I would not consider AoPS online classes. The classes are delivered via live chat, no audio. The kids are typing the whole time. My son likes the format, he just wants  to solve problems but there is not much socializing or talking 

Edited by Marie.Sd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marie.Sd said:

If you are looking for him to work in a small and share problem solving techniques, I would not consider AoPS online classes. The classes are delivered via live chat, no audio. The kids are typing the whole time. My son likes the format, he just wants  to solve problems but there is not much socializing or talking 

They definitely don't work together in class, although the kids in my classes will work together nicely on the message board. It's all text, though, so maybe not the right thing. 

• Like 1