Menu

Suggestions for remedial work?

Long story short: 14 year old, ADHD (medicated), primarily lives with his mom, not turning in homework & failing math and science (again). His mom is stretched too thin to provide the level of supervision needed. Situation has been on going, so he will probably be staying with us for remedial work this summer, possibly permamanently. Right now I'm focusing on the remedial work. 

Our starting point is Everything You Need to Ace Math/Science/English along with Crash Course's Study Skills series. 

Any additions you would recommend? Suggestions for encouraging/motivating a kid who probably won't care for the situation?

Bridge the Gap math might be useful depending on what level he's actually at.

Does he actually have study skills? I imagine failing science is more about not having executive function and study skills than prior gaps. I think it was lewelma who had a thread on explicitly teaching executive function skills that might be helpful.

As a mom of an ADHD kiddo, I would suggest also working on the scaffolding he needs to get homework turned in. He is likely incapable of doing so without extra help (be that a checklist system, a routine, a check in call, ect).  Medication helps a lot of aspects of ADHD, but executive functioning skills unfortunately aren't one of them.  

The thread Explicitly Teaching Executive Functioning Skills that's stuck at the top of the General Education Board may be a good place to start.  

• Like 4

Yes, I'm hoping to help him with the executive functioning too. His mom has trouble providing the amount of structure and accountability he needs, and his school insists they don't need to give him an IEP. (Don't get me started on the BS there.) As his stepmom, I can't really step in on any of it, but he's staying with us all summer, so hopefully we can help him.