Menu

ASU Earned Admission Intro to Sociology

Has anyone taken or had a kid take SOC 101 via ASU Earned Admission? I’m wondering if this is a well-done course? Is it a fairly straightforward A for a student who is diligent and well-prepared? Or is it tricky and deceptively tough? 

My DD is not a lover of history, so she wants an easy, get ‘er done SS credit for 12th grade. Since this course would be finished by mid-October, it will leave her most of the year with only five courses. That’s very appealing!

• Like 1

No experience with ASU Earned Admission, though I'm looking into a couple of their courses for my youngest. However, for Sociology, I would recommend studying for the Sociology CLEP test. It is known as one of the easier CLEP exams. DD studied Sociology for 6-8 weeks (mainly using the REA text), did some practice tests, and then took the CLEP exam and passed. If your DD is considering a public university, you can look and see what score she needs to get credit for the Sociology CLEP exam.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BookwormTo2 said:

No experience with ASU Earned Admission, though I'm looking into a couple of their courses for my youngest. However, for Sociology, I would recommend studying for the Sociology CLEP test. It is known as one of the easier CLEP exams. DD studied Sociology for 6-8 weeks (mainly using the REA text), did some practice tests, and then took the CLEP exam and passed. If your DD is considering a public university, you can look and see what score she needs to get credit for the Sociology CLEP exam.

Did your daughter use any other study materials beside the REA text? (Modern States, for example) We are considering ASU Earned Admission as well as CLEP testing to pick up some credit along the way. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, fourisenough said:

Has anyone taken or had a kid take SOC 101 via ASU Earned Admission? I’m wondering if this is a well-done course? Is it a fairly straightforward A for a student who is diligent and well-prepared? Or is it tricky and deceptively tough? 

My DD is not a lover of history, so she wants an easy, get ‘er done SS credit for 12th grade. Since this course would be finished by mid-October, it will leave her most of the year with only five courses. That’s very appealing!

We are considering ASU for some classes, so I'm glad to see it mentioned here. 

• Like 1

I think my DD also used a bit of Modern States for the Sociology CLEP. What she did was took the initial placement test in the REA book and realized what things she needed to study and did focused studying. She didn't do the whole course for Modern States. When she thought she was ready, she took a practice test and if her score was at least 10 points higher than what was needed, we scheduled a CLEP test appointment.

• Like 2