Menu

High School grammar and punctuation

I have 3 kids in 8th, 9th and 10th. 2 of which have ADHD and really struggle with learning. All 3 reallly need help with grammar and puctuation. I've tried Analytical Grammar and got through the 1 section of 3 ( I could still go back to this if it's really the only option). I've also tried Easy Grammar plus which was a bust. They really didn't remember anything when it came time for the test. Any thoughts?

We really liked Fix It Grammar, but no ADHD issues.  I started homeschooling in 8th grade with dd and we started Fix It then.  She went through the books fairly quickly and learned a lot.  She has the best grammar of anyone I know but she credits her passion for foreign languages for her thorough knowledge of grammar as well.  

• Like 1

I have found that an online live English class worked better than all the grammar, spelling, and other English workbooks and texts I had taught prior to that. A teacher that wasn't mom worked wonders for an improvement in grammar and punctuation. I can't tell you how many English type workbooks I bought over the years for this particular kid -- none of them helped as much as I would have liked. Just one school year of a live English class can make a huge difference in the areas you're concerned about. YMMV of course. 🙂 Other than an online live English course, I found the WTM Writing With Skill very helpful for improving grammar, spelling, and punctuation, though it required a ton of my time as a teacher.

A couple of mine ended up taking some online composition classes. I agree with above, sometimes they pick up on more with other teachers. It was so helpful to have someone else grade their papers and see them sort of "own" their own learning and experience. We used MPOA and had a great experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BookwormTo2 said:

I have found that an online live English class worked better than all the grammar, spelling, and other English workbooks and texts I had taught prior to that. A teacher that wasn't mom worked wonders for an improvement in grammar and punctuation. I can't tell you how many English type workbooks I bought over the years for this particular kid -- none of them helped as much as I would have liked. Just one school year of a live English class can make a huge difference in the areas you're concerned about. YMMV of course. 🙂 Other than an online live English course, I found the WTM Writing With Skill very helpful for improving grammar, spelling, and punctuation, though it required a ton of my time as a teacher.

Yeah, I feel like I've done all sorts of gramar workbooks but it's not sinking in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

We really liked Fix It Grammar, but no ADHD issues.  I started homeschooling in 8th grade with dd and we started Fix It then.  She went through the books fairly quickly and learned a lot.  She has the best grammar of anyone I know but she credits her passion for foreign languages for her thorough knowledge of grammar as well.  

Does Fix-it-Grammar teach or is it for students who alread know and are just reviewing?

Edited by Mom28kds
  • Like 1

We tried the Fix it Grammar with DS and it was terrible for him, as seeing incorrect sentences that he had to fix just overwhelmed him. There is a wide variety of curriculum because one size does not fit all. 🙂 After just 5 months of an online Comp. & Lit. class, DS scored very high on the English parts of the CLT10 -- something he had never done before on any standardized tests. I have realized that for DS, the right curriculum was actually a good online English teacher, but for my oldest, homeschool English curriculum was all she needed as she was a natural speller and writer.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

Does Fix-it-Grammar teach or is it for students who alread know and are just reviewing?

It teaches and then reinforces lessons by having students correct sentences in the workbook (the "fix-it" part).  

• Like 1