Menu

Question about roast in crockpot

Most recipes I've seen have the vegetables on the bottom so they soak up juices from the meat (and maybe to keep the meat from being immersed in the liquid?).  I'm not sure they'd turn out so well if you tossed them in on top of the meat during the cook time but there's no reason not to try it.  Taking the meat out to put the vegetables in later seems like a hassle though I am sure it could be done. 

I'd consider Peter  Pan's question, and see if you can just put in larger pieces. You can always cut them up later.  

• Like 1

You could roast vegetables in the oven if that is how they would rather have them.  I don’t think you can get crispy or caramelly in the crockpot.

Like — if that is what they want, I don’t think they will like the crockpot.

You can put in potatoes cut in fourths and carrots cut in half and see if they like that.  

I like very soft vegetables soaked in roast juices, but if someone wants roasted — it’s not roasted.  

And I do think potatoes in fourths and carrots in halves is a good size to try!  

25 minutes ago, Lecka said:

You could roast vegetables in the oven if that is how they would rather have them.  I don’t think you can get crispy or caramelly in the crockpot.

Like — if that is what they want, I don’t think they will like the crockpot.

You can put in potatoes cut in fourths and carrots cut in half and see if they like that.  

I like very soft vegetables soaked in roast juices, but if someone wants roasted — it’s not roasted.  

And I do think potatoes in fourths and carrots in halves is a good size to try!  

Thanks. Well here is the thing, I made it once in the instant pot and the meat just wasn't tender, but they all loved how the veggies didn't get as mushy as in the crockpot. So not crispy, but not mushy either.

• Like 1

You can absolutely add them later.  If you have a roast that takes 8-10 hours, that's way more than the vegetables need.  They're going to cook in 5-6 hours. You can removed the roast at the halfway point, put the veggins on the bottom, put the roast back in, and keep cooking until it's all done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

When I make a roast in the crockpot, I usually cook potatoes and carrots too. Most of my family doesn't care for how soft the potatoes and carrots turn out. Has anyone experimented with adding the veggies in a little later than the meat?

Wow!  That's the best part of pot roast!

File this under "Reg can't help himself":  I wonder if it is the lead leaching out of the crock that makes the potatoes and carrots so soft. 💨

• Haha 2

I add mine later because I cook my roast for a LONG time! Here’s how I do it:

night before: put seasoned roast in foil and wrap completely. Put in the crock pot and cook on low til morning. Don’t add liquid!

morning: open the foil and pour the juices into the bottom of the crock pot. Place your carrots and potatoes in. Place roast back on top. Cook on low 4-6 hours until the veggies are tender. 

We’d usually eat this meal for lunch that day. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

You can absolutely add them later.  If you have a roast that takes 8-10 hours, that's way more than the vegetables need.  They're going to cook in 5-6 hours. You can removed the roast at the halfway point, put the veggins on the bottom, put the roast back in, and keep cooking until it's all done.

I will give it a try!

36 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks. Well here is the thing, I made it once in the instant pot and the meat just wasn't tender, but they all loved how the veggies didn't get as mushy as in the crockpot. So not crispy, but not mushy either.

You didn't cook it long enough if the meat wasn't tender. 

I would try leaving the potatoes whole and only using the thickest carrots left in very large hunks. You could also slice the roast in half. These days I'm usually cooking deer for red meat, so the piece is thinner. If you anticipate it needing more than 45 minutes in the IP, you could add the veges later, sure.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

You didn't cook it long enough if the meat wasn't tender. 

I would try leaving the potatoes whole and only using the thickest carrots left in very large hunks. You could also slice the roast in half. These days I'm usually cooking deer for red meat, so the piece is thinner. If you anticipate it needing more than 45 minutes in the IP, you could add the veges later, sure.

I agree.  Those veggies that they liked would have been overcooked it the meat had cooked long enough.  The meat just takes a lot longer to cook and it's not good for the vegetables.  I don't care WHAT those recipes say.

Another thought - I have one recipe that has me add some veggies at the start and others with the potatoes closer to the end. I'm thinking you could do the same with the potatoes and do some at the start and others at the end.