Menu

Q on how to take blood pressure at home

I’ve read the best way is to have arm level with heart. I do remember those machines in the stores would have your arm outstretched instead of resting in your lap like at most doctor appointments.

Dd has done it both ways at different times. When her arm is level with heart (so resting on table), her BP is usually always around 95/55. If she takes it with her arm resting in her lap, her BP is around 110/65. 

Is one way better or more accurate than the other? It’s an arm cuff, not wrist. She’s on medication three times a day to raise it so I hope it’s actually closer to 110/65.

My blood pressure was taken either way at the cancer centre for the past few years. I don’t think any difference is significant else the oncology and radiation nurses would insist on one way to take blood pressure. They have to use the child size cuff for me. I think arm cuff size is more important that position. 

However, CDC recommends https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/measure.htm

• What you ate, drank, or did before your reading. If you smoked, drank alcohol or caffeine, or exercised within 30 minutes of having your blood pressure measured, your reading might be higher.2
  • How you are sitting. Crossing your legs and letting your arm droop at your side rather than rest on a table at chest height can make your blood pressure go up.2”

My diastolic blood pressure has been consistently in the 60-70 range all my life except a few times where it was below 50.

My systolic blood pressure has been consistently in the range of 90 to 110. It rarely hit 120 or go below 80.

I just had to be cautious so that I don’t faint.

46 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I’ve read the best way is to have arm level with heart. I do remember those machines in the stores would have your arm outstretched instead of resting in your lap like at most doctor appointments.

Dd has done it both ways at different times. When her arm is level with heart (so resting on table), her BP is usually always around 95/55. If she takes it with her arm resting in her lap, her BP is around 110/65. 

Is one way better or more accurate than the other? It’s an arm cuff, not wrist. She’s on medication three times a day to raise it so I hope it’s actually closer to 110/65.

Sorry, the arm should always be level with the heart. Your feet should both be flat on the floor, legs should not be crossed, not even at the ankle. 

It should always be taken the same way and preferably at the same time of day, so that your tracking data has meaning. Whenever you take it at a different time, this should be noted. 

Every time you go to the doctor, bring it with you to compare against the doctor's cuff. 

Agreeing with above. It should be taken with arm level, so like at a kitchen table. Legs not crossed. Also, like @Arcadiamentioned, cuff size is *very* important. Could you take her somewhere to check and see if she needs a kid size cuff? If the cuff is too loose, the bp will measure lower than accurate. So, even if you have the right size cuff, make sure you/dc is getting the tightness correct. It shouldn’t slide or move, but be secure (but not excessively tight). 

The cuff seems to just fit as she is tiny, but it is tight and gets pretty tight while taking it. It seems pretty accurate for all of us, but I’ve just expected it to raise some since she’s now on meds. I’ll also take it with us to the next appointment to check accuracy.

I don’t think I’ve ever had mine taken with my arm up.  Not at the doctor, in an ambulance, in the ER, in a hospital room, or as a practice dummy for my EMTs. 

Im not about to say that means it doesn’t matter but I would think that at least one person would have raised mine somewhere in 43 years if it was a significant difference. 

3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever had mine taken with my arm up.  Not at the doctor, in an ambulance, in the ER, in a hospital room, or as a practice dummy for my EMTs. 

Im not about to say that means it doesn’t matter but I would think that at least one person would have raised mine somewhere in 43 years if it was a significant difference. 

This has been my experience which is why I asked. I’m pretty sure my hand has always been in my lap. 

ETA: My BP has always been normal though. Maybe if it was ever low/high they would move my arm?

Edited by Joker2

2 hours ago, Joker2 said:

It seems pretty accurate for all of us, but I’ve just expected it to raise some since she’s now on meds. I’ll also take it with us to the next appointment to check accuracy.

Be aware of “white coat syndrome”. Blood pressure readings tend to be higher if the person is looking at the reading and/or at the doctor’s office. 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/could-white-coat-hypertension-harm-your-heart-2019112918384

“Dr. Zusman advises all of his patients to use a home blood pressure monitor to make sure their treatment is working. “I also have them bring their device in and watch them take their blood pressure to make sure they’re using the monitor correctly,” he says. Doctors often suggest checking your blood pressure once or twice a day for a week or so right after starting or changing medications. After that, two to three times a week at different times of the day is a good idea, says Dr. Zusman.”

20 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

ETA: My BP has always been normal though. Maybe if it was ever low/high they would move my arm?

When mine is near 90/60, the nurses take a second reading to confirm. When it is below that, they call another nurse to confirm.