Menu

Anyone know anything about ketamine or TMS for treating depression?

Terabith

Lurker here- 

I have not used either Ketamine or TMS for my depression yet, however I have an intake with our local TMS center pretty soon to start the process of getting the treatment. I considered Ketamine but my insurance didn't cover it and I know you have to get pretty frequent infusions to really get the full effect. I chose TMS because I have severe treatment resistant depression and ended up inpatient several times over the last year. Antidepressants had no effect whatsoever on me- I know that TMS has pretty good outcomes and it is so much less invasive than ECT. I was told that I will probably have to get the treatment 5 days a week for 4-6 weeks which is a small price to pay if it ends up working. I know that relapse can happen usually around 6mo to a year from your treatments but I know that some insurances will cover retreatment if needed. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sandwind said:

Lurker here- 

I have not used either Ketamine or TMS for my depression yet, however I have an intake with our local TMS center pretty soon to start the process of getting the treatment. I considered Ketamine but my insurance didn't cover it and I know you have to get pretty frequent infusions to really get the full effect. I chose TMS because I have severe treatment resistant depression and ended up inpatient several times over the last year. Antidepressants had no effect whatsoever on me- I know that TMS has pretty good outcomes and it is so much less invasive than ECT. I was told that I will probably have to get the treatment 5 days a week for 4-6 weeks which is a small price to pay if it ends up working. I know that relapse can happen usually around 6mo to a year from your treatments but I know that some insurances will cover retreatment if needed. 

Thank you!  That's very helpful.  I think our area doesn't do ketamine infusions; they do the nasal spray.