Menu

Math after RightStart H

ealp2009

I'm not sure what math program to move on too.  We are finishing up Rightstart.  We have been doing Beast Academy as well and he will be finishing up 5 too.   We will be done in the next couple of months and I don't know where to go from here.  He is independent with math at this point.   My husband and I are willing and able to help occasionally but with some personality dynamics it would be best if he was basically independent.  I was thinking about starting Art of Problem Solving but recent forum topics have caused to me to hesitate.   

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Kiara.I said:

We're using AoPS at this point. I'm not sure what topics you're seeing that cause the hesitation, I haven't really been following the board lately. What are your concerns about it?

Well there was a thread called "AoPS woes" in the general educational forum, not sure how to link it on my phone, Which made it sounds like it might be hard for a student to do independently.   I am willing to try AoPS and see how it goes through.  

Actually here's the link 😉

Edited by ealp2009

57 minutes ago, ealp2009 said:

Well there was a thread called "AoPS woes" in the general educational forum, not sure how to link it on my phone, Which made it sounds like it might be hard for a student to do independently.   I am willing to try AoPS and see how it goes through.  

Actually here's the link 😉

I wouldn't have a kid do any math independently, to be honest. But one thing you could do is sign up for a class. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ealp2009 said:

Yes, I may consider one of the classes.  And he wouldn't be totally independent. My husband and I have the ability to help him but he tends to have some pathological demand avoidence tendencies so I try to help and monitor in discreet ways.  

Yeah, I totally get it! 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think one of the questions would be whether you can work the math in the AoPS books yourself. A big part of the issue in the other thread was the fact that it was hard for the mom to answer questions, since she wasn't quite sure how the questions worked. 

Yes.

I've been leaving mine on his own after the first chapter in Pre-algebra. But I am pretty sure I'll need to do every other book with him. Maybe not at the same time, and maybe not all the questions, but I'll need to be familiar with what he's working on so that if he gets stuck I can jump in and help without a ton of catch-up time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ealp2009 said:

We are finishing up Rightstart.  We have been doing Beast Academy as well and he will be finishing up 5 too.   

I would love to hear how this went doing Beast Academy and Right Start G/H. I am very interested in combining those two, but at a cursory look they seem to cover most pre-algebra concepts? Have you considered doing something straight forward for pre-algebra review like Kumon, and then just dive into Foerster's Algebra? I am biased, because my own pre-algebra course in 7th grade was spotty and hodge podge, but my 8th grade algebra course was very traditional and thorough. If your kid tries AOPS and loves it, go for it, but boards here seem to have many people who got a lot out of Beast Academy, but slogged through AOPS pre-algebra.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Foofaraw said:

I would love to hear how this went doing Beast Academy and Right Start G/H. I am very interested in combining those two, but at a cursory look they seem to cover most pre-algebra concepts? Have you considered doing something straight forward for pre-algebra review like Kumon, and then just dive into Foerster's Algebra? I am biased, because my own pre-algebra course in 7th grade was spotty and hodge podge, but my 8th grade algebra course was very traditional and thorough. If your kid tries AOPS and loves it, go for it, but boards here seem to have many people who got a lot out of Beast Academy, but slogged through AOPS pre-algebra.

BA and RS are so different. RS has a lot of drawing and hands on geometry.  BA is such a different and puzzely way to think about math.  It seemed to work out well.  He would see the concept presented in RS and then see it again in Beast.   Adding the Beast in also slowed us down a bit so we  wouldn't get through RS quite so quickly and I feel like he has a deeper and more thorough understanding of the concepts.  He tends to rush things and this slowed him down a bit.  I was not systematic about how or when he did either program though.  It was pretty much how he felt that day or sometimes if I thought we wouldn't have enough time to finish a right start lesson I would suggest he do a couple of pages in Beast.  

• Like 1

Not terribly familiar with Right Start (have seen it and looked through it but never used it) but I have a lot of kids either in or just past this arithmatic to algebra stage.

My oldest boy went from Beast to Jacobs Algebra this year in 7th grade.  Hes worked it mostly independant, coming to me maybe once or twice a month for help.  The math itself was fine, even the transition to abstract thinking was fine.  Where he struggled a bit was the transition to high school level work. Jacobs is fairly gently and friendly, but it was still a transition.  Going from a workbook to a textbook and loose leaf, going from Beasts relatively few problems to doubling the amount of work, ect.  

My next just completed Beast halfway through 5th grade.  He could definitely use a transition year, both to get used to high school style math AND to get comfortable looking at these numbers in a more abstract way.  We have just started with AOPS self paced with mom, and accepting that it will take a year and a half to complete.  So far so good, but it's only been a month.  We really like Alcimus, their online review.  It's free and a good guage of the difficulty of AOPS.  You may want to check it out.

Another son (6th grade), not coming from Beast, has enjoyed Mr D self paced online Pre-Algebra this year.  It is nowhere near as rigorous as Beast or AOPS, but completely independant and has excellent student support.  My daughter will also do this program next year (8th grade).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...