Menu

Outdoor exercise on a deck?

Drama Llama

Exercise bike with a cover over it, even a tarp, between uses?  If it’s an inexpensive one, I’d totally do that as it wouldn’t be a huge loss if it eventually wore out due to weathering.  Plus I used to really like the fact that I could read a book while doing this, since it helped me to do it longer from being distracted by the book.  Unfortunately, I’m supposed to avoid this kind of work out now due to a tendency toward hip bursitis, but if that is not an issue for you I think this would be great.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Echo 

I occasionally set up an iPad on a bench and do a little yoga session on the back deck. We have a fairly private yard, which helps me be more relaxed about it. Not sure if I’d feel too comfortable doing yoga with spectators. But it’s nice to listen to waking up birdsong while stretching and breathing deep. 

If that’s not your cuppa, perhaps a little rebounder and/or weighted hula-hooping? Basic calisthenics, some planking? All those could be done in a small amount of square footage.  

Doing "sun salutations" literally is kind of cool.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yoga with Adrienne (free on YouTube)

A COVID discovery for me. Adrienne (and her dog) = awesome.

My BIL has a stand for his regular bike that enables him to use it as a stationary bike. He actually stores it, along with the bike itself, in a teeny tiny storage cube in the basement of his NYC apartment, and rolls it out 5' into the aisle, puts it into high gear and exercises AS HARD AS HE CAN AS FAST AS HE CAN when the weather doesn't permit him to actually ride the thing IRL outside.  It's rather brilliant actually, as a substitute for what would for him be a rarely-used gym membership.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

A COVID discovery for me. Adrienne (and her dog) = awesome.

My BIL has a stand for his regular bike that enables him to use it as a stationary bike. He actually stores it, along with the bike itself, in a teeny tiny storage cube in the basement of his NYC apartment, and rolls it out 5' into the aisle, puts it into high gear and exercises AS HARD AS HE CAN AS FAST AS HE CAN when the weather doesn't permit him to actually ride the thing IRL outside.  It's rather brilliant actually, as a substitute for what would for him be a rarely-used gym membership.

I like this idea.  My oldest is now as tall as me, so i could borrow his bike.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Thanks everyone,

Is it realistic to put an exercise machine on the back deck?  I think that I'm more likely to be able to stick with something like that, but I worry about it getting destroyed if it rains.  We have a treadmill, that's in the basement.  

Yoga is just not my thing.  

Total gym folds up and can go under a bed or in closet.  Pretty easy to move about.  Not sure where you are and how temperamental the weather is.  Shouldn't be in rain though.

I am the same with yoga.  It is just too slow and I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I've recently tried a few boho beautiful youtube videos, at the urging of a friend who loves them, and it's just not my thing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 4atHome said:

I am the same with yoga.  It is just too slow and I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. I've recently tried a few boho beautiful youtube videos, at the urging of a friend who loves them, and it's just not my thing.

It accomplishes different things for me. I currently run and walk. But I  also do yoga for stretching and strength.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lecka said:

I love a step -- they are made of plastic.  They are what I like anyway, though, lol.  I like Jenny Ford for videos -- I have done her videos from a phone.  

I have a step also.  For the money, it was just the most effective piece of cardio "equipment." It's plastic, so weather wouldn't be an issue and it's easy to move.  I also have a bad knee that prevents running but not much else.  I like to put a step video on my computer and turn off the sound.  In another window I run music I actually like and just do the step workout to THAT music.  One day I'll spring for a decent treadmill and a separate outlet/circuit for a treadmill, but I just don't want people in my house right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have a step also.  For the money, it was just the most effective piece of cardio "equipment." It's plastic, so weather wouldn't be an issue and it's easy to move.  I also have a bad knee that prevents running but not much else.  I like to put a step video on my computer and turn off the sound.  In another window I run music I actually like and just do the step workout to THAT music.  One day I'll spring for a decent treadmill and a separate outlet/circuit for a treadmill, but I just don't want people in my house right now.

Do you or @Lecka have a step video you like?  

I would love to just move the treadmill we have  to the deck but I assume rain would be bad for it.

52 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Do you or @Lecka have a step video you like?  

I would love to just move the treadmill we have  to the deck but I assume rain would be bad for it.

I usually do Jenny Ford or Cdornes . . . I just searched by time and these were both 30 minute workouts.  It just depends upon how complicated you want the routine to be.  Some days I just want to sweat without thinking too much, but most days my brain needs to chase the patterns or I get bored and stop.  I do it to music I like, (usually dance music) so I'm comfortable doing the steps to the music intead of the video and lagging a bit behind the instructor.  I tend to change about an 8-count AFTER I'm supposed to, but I do all of the same stuff. 

You might want to dive into the Chloe Ting universe.  She has a million different workouts and the production value is really good.  You have to get past her looking like she's 16 and that she weighs about 80 lbs . . . then you have to come to terms with her wanting to kill you.  It's psychological challenge.  

Since you already own a treadmill, have you considered putting a happy light over it or moving it close to a window for the days you want to use that? 

ETA:  I've done this dance workout too.  It was a silly, fun warmup that lifted my mood.  I can have a real attitude about exercising by myself in the dead of winter.  I probably wouldn't do this outside where the neighbors could see.  I'd hesitate to do it inside where my family could see 🤣

Edited by KungFuPanda

11 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Is it realistic to put an exercise machine on the back deck?  I think that I'm more likely to be able to stick with something like that, but I worry about it getting destroyed if it rains.  We have a treadmill, that's in the basement.  

11 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Does it stay out in the rain?  With a cover?  

Well, the patio has a roof, I should have stated that. No screens or walls, just a roof. 

We just got it recently, but my nephew had it on his patio for quite a while, lol. 

I don't know what he did, but we use a little cinch sack to cover the display part, and then just toss an old blanket over it (which doesn't cover it entirely, but we want it to be easy to use). If we didn't have a roof on the patio, we'd have to cover it better - you can buy covers specifically for exercise machines. 

Occasionally we get a very hard sideways rain, and we'll probably throw an extra blanket on it if we're home. We bought used, and we're not paying for the gym, so we're trying to take a 'it lasts however long it lasts' attitude about it. 

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Since you already own a treadmill, have you considered putting a happy light over it or moving it close to a window for the days you want to use that? 

I've found it so much easier to stick with exercise when I do it consistently, day in and out. There will be days, I'm sure, that you have rain or other reasons that an outdoor workout isn't a good option. I really recommend getting a light for SAD that you can use with the treadmill.

• Like 1

I like Jenny Ford for step.  

I like her series where she works out with beautiful backgrounds.  

This is an easier one:  

This is a harder one, but it's also simple as far as the moves:

This is another one I like: 

These might be available full-length on Amazon Prime.  

9 hours ago, sbgrace said:

I've found it so much easier to stick with exercise when I do it consistently, day in and out. There will be days, I'm sure, that you have rain or other reasons that an outdoor workout isn't a good option. I really recommend getting a light for SAD that you can use with the treadmill.

The treadmill is right now in our weird basement that doesn't connect to the rest of the house.  Ideally, once DH is back at work, I'd like to be able to workout, get some sunshine, and have an eye or ear out to know that my kids are getting up and ready for the school day.  

I've been using a SAD light in the morning and it alone hasn't led to me resetting my internal clock the way I need to. 

• Like 1

I love Fitness Blender workouts. It’s the only thing I’ve stuck to consistently. They are free and there are a ton of them. Low impact options, cardio, HIIT, strength, etc. When I first started with them, I just found two that I really liked (one lower body and one upper body) and just alternated those two videos each day. Then during covid, I upped my game and bought real weights (PowerBlocks) and purchased one of their programs (Blend) for about $15. This kept me accountable and helped a lot because I like checking off each day’s work out. Anyway, you could easily do Fitness Blender workouts on your deck with only your phone and possibly a yoga mat for floor exercises. 

eta: oh, and they almost always show variations of an exercise if you need low impact. So even on the videos that aren’t labeled ‘low impact’, if there’s an exercise that looks like it won’t be good for my knee, I just use their modification that they show. 

Edited by mmasc

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

ETA:  I've done this dance workout too.  It was a silly, fun warmup that lifted my mood.  I can have a real attitude about exercising by myself in the dead of winter.  I probably wouldn't do this outside where the neighbors could see.  I'd hesitate to do it inside where my family could see 🤣

I love the Fitness Marshall.   He has a ton of videos, some are harder than others but all of them are easy to modify (usually he has someone doing the modified version).   They are so much fun and he is hilarious. 

11 hours ago, sbgrace said:

She can just use the treadmill when it rains - it's actually better to not do the same workout all the time. 

1 hour ago, 4atHome said:

How does this work? Like an old fashioned storm cellar?

So our house in on a pretty steep hill front to back. 

We used to have a relatively normal basement that has a room that we use as an exercise room, and a garage like space, and stairs going up to the kitchen.  The exercise room has a door that open to a patio that is under the deck that is one floor up off the kitchen, and a door that leads to a flight of stairs going up to the kitchen.

But we did a very fast imperfect renovation to add an accessible bathroom in part of the kitchen.  We did it with a grant from Medicaid, which had restrictions, and under a time crunch, and we ended up needing to block the door to make it at all functional.  So, now, you can’t open the door.  So, if someone wants to use the exercise equipment or the wood shop they need to walk around the outside.

We have plans to do it right, and will need to fix it before we sell because it’s not great now, but that’s not in the budget.

I would prefer to exercise in a space where I have some awareness of what goes on in the house, so besides the natural light issue, the fact that the deck would let me see the kids coming down and getting breakfast etc . . . Would be reassuring to me.  

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I love the Fitness Marshall.   He has a ton of videos, some are harder than others but all of them are easy to modify (usually he has someone doing the modified version).   They are so much fun and he is hilarious. 

I love the Fitness Marshall.   He just makes you enjoy exercising even when you don’t want too.