Menu

cat has figured out how to jump on counters

gardenmom5

5 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Snake! In the house! And I thought it was horrific when ours brought lizards in to play with. Yikes! 

To be fair, we did once have a snake come in the house from under the garage door. Luckily the dog cornered it quickly. Still..snakes in the house! Shudder!

I'm with you there!  I HATE snakes!

In this case, Orange Cat Bad did not bring it in.  It just came in from the crawlspace somehow.  (That happened once before, also.)  I went and got Orange Cat Bad to see what he would do, but he was only mildly interested.  (His response was better than that of a previous cat we owned.  In that case we carried him out to a nest of blacksnake eggs which were hatching out and he was so interested in getting us to pet him that he walked right across the nest, stepping on one of the snakes in the process!  He never even noticed the snake was there!  😄)

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, RegGuheert said:

Wow!  He really does!

The only difference appears to be that Coyote has a tail.  Bucky is a manx.

Funny that you should say that because Coyote (who was named before we knew she was a girl) had a kitten with no tail. There is a gorgeous cat, that I think is a Manx, who roams the neighborhood and we feel certain he is the kitten's daddy.

IMG_2155.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Funny that you should say that because Coyote (who was named before we knew she was a girl) had a kitten with no tail. There is a gorgeous cat, that I think is a Manx, who roams the neighborhood and we feel certain he is the kitten's daddy.

Very cute kitten!  How old is he/she?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

That's a feature not a bug. 😄 Counter walking is the main reason I can't get my brain around getting a cat.

Dh lined the counter with jelly roll pans filled with water. . . . . . he didn't like them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, RegGuheert said:

Very cute kitten!  How old is he/she?

I can't remember how old she is in that picture. It was the best one I had showing her tail. In most pictures, it looks as if her tail is turned to one side. This one is more recent and is completely showing off her personality. I think I spend all day shaking my head over this cat's antics. She'll be one on the 28th.

IMG_2423.jpg

• Like 3

Years ago when we were in the process of moving, one of our favorite cats ever, Mary, decided to not only get on the counter, as normal, but nest into the drainer!  Since I am remembering one dear lost kitty, I will also recognize Hannah, who only lived to be 10!  These were the two main cats we had when raising our children.

9225433D-E4E5-4300-9F59-72A9FBDA5614.png

EA0F4A63-5376-4975-AFB4-59ACE9AF2972.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

So if the cat can't have a counter then NOBODY can have a counter?  It sounds like the cat won that round.

Not really - that was when no one was using the counter.  When people are using it - there's lots of stuff on it, and he wont' jump up if he can see it's blocked.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

That's a feature not a bug. 😄 Counter walking is the main reason I can't get my brain around getting a cat.

You get used to it.  LOL  There are just a few things you must bear in mind.  Never leave food on the counter.  Always sanitize the counter top before you start cooking and the table before you sit down to eat.  

• Like 2

We have always allowed our cats on the island in our kitchen. We have dogs that would eat the dry cat food until they explode, soooo... we have to keep their food dish on the island. I make a point to disinfect it regularly. This is one of the reasons I justified putting in quartz countertops lol since they supposedly don’t allow bacterial growth. 

We have 4 cats. Only one ever gets on the other counters. He is our mischievous black cat. He has been known to jump on the kitchen table and haul off entire pieces of chicken off of a plate. Or off the counter. I have to cover all meats. Feral boy. 

On 2/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Indigo Blue said:

See, you are one of the ones I was talking about upthread who would read these posts and be mortified by the idea of a cat on your counter! 😄🐈🐈

On 2/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, Scarlett said:

You get used to it.  LOL  There are just a few things you must bear in mind.  Never leave food on the counter.  Always sanitize the counter top before you start cooking and the table before you sit down to eat.  

I like cats well enough and they seem to like me because I don't chase them down, but I'm not such a "cat person" that I would add those extra steps to kitchen cleanup.  If you could teach them to wash their paws after they go, they'd be the perfect pet. 😄 I may have one one day bucause I fully realize there are no perfect pets. 

I have just experienced my first pet-free year of  my entire life and I'm really enjoying not dealing with hair for the moment.  When COVID ends, I'll enjoy going places without making arrangements.  I may ride this lifestyle out for the rest of middle age and save pet ownership for my senior years.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

You can always train your cat to use the toilet 🚽 lol. 

Our cat sleeps on the bed at night, so there is always hair. When dh comes to bed, he usually gets a few hairs in his nose or mouth. Then he starts making spewing and sputtering noises as he irritatingly yells, “Cat hair!” “Plllbbbbb!” I don’t let him hear me laughing under the cover. (He does love our cat. He’s just very vocal if he encounters a bit of hair). 

Can you really train your specific cat to use the toilet?  I think it's more like SOME cats CAN be trained to do this and you have no way of knowing if you own that cat until you put in the time trying.  I had friends who litter trained their tiny yorkie.  Then I have other friends who got yorkies and attempted this but failed miserably.  I accept that the vast majority of cats are just going too do their own thing and not care about your feelings.  I'd have to fully embrace this before bringing a cat into the family.  The reality of my life is that I can't even train humans to close theh patio door, so mine isn't the safest household for a cat.

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

Honestly, I’ve never toilet-trained a cat. It would take an incredible amount of patience. Probably many cats would be impossible or very difficult to train. Anyway, it’s fun to watch them do it on YouTube. 😄

Yeah, when my husband was a toddler, their cat witnessed my mother in law potty training him and was like, "Oh!  Well, I can do that," and spontaneously began using the toilet.  

Some cats can definitely be trained to do a wide variety of unlikely things.

Other cats don't really care enough and probably can't be.  So I think a variety exists.  The key to trainability is, I think, a fair amount of treat motivation.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

You can always train your cat to use the toilet 🚽 lol. 

Our cat sleeps on the bed at night, so there is always hair. When dh comes to bed, he usually gets a few hairs in his nose or mouth. Then he starts making spewing and sputtering noises as he irritatingly yells, “Cat hair!” “Plllbbbbb!” I don’t let him hear me laughing under the cover. (He does love our cat. He’s just very vocal if he encounters a bit of hair). 

nope, nope, nope, not happening.  I have cat allergies.  he slept with dudeling for about two weeks - and dudeling evicted him from his room because he couldn't sleep.

he did come in one day while I was napping - and burrowed his way in under the covers behind my back.  I thought he'd curl up . ..  he kept right on going until he was by my feet. poked around, sniffed my feet,  then started making his way back up and jumped off the bed.

but if I get up in the middle of the night  - he's right there mewing for me.