Menu

ADHD meds, how long to wait?

before changing the med or the dose?

Ds started on ADHD meds this week, 10mg Vyvanse if it makes a difference. So far we are seeing little to no appreciable change in his behavior, especially in the afternoon when his implusive, hyper behavior is the worst. In the morning just after he has taken it, maybe he has a little bit more attention span but I'm not entirely sure if I want to see that or if I'm actually seeing that, ya know? I know ADHD meds are suppose to be pretty fast acting and also leave their systems pretty quick but when should I say, "Nope, this med/dose isn't working"?

Edited by sweet2ndchance

42 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

before changing the med or the dose?

Ds started on ADHD meds this week, 10mg Vyvanse if it makes a difference. So far we are seeing little to no appreciable change in his behavior, especially in the afternoon when his implusive, hyper behavior is the worst. In the morning just after he has taken it, maybe he has a little bit more attention span but I'm not entirely sure if I want to see that or if I'm actually seeing that, ya know? I know ADHD meds are suppose to be pretty fast acting and also leave their systems pretty quick but when should I say, "Nope, this med/dose isn't working"?

That is a very small dose; I'm not surprised you aren't seeing much improvement. From the Vyvanse website referring to children's dosing: "While Vyvanse offers dosing options from 10 mg to 70 mg, the recommended starting dose is 30 mg."

When starting that type of new medication, my kids' psychiatrist starts them low and schedules a med check appointment for 2-3 weeks later. During that time, we are checking for side effects and seeing if we see even itty-bitty improvements that suggest the med might be effective at higher dosages.

At the med check, if we haven't seen worrying side effects, and we have seen hints of improvement, then he increases the dose and schedule another med check for 4-6 weeks later.

• Like 2

Our med check is 4 weeks out but the doctor said to let her know sooner if there were any bad side effects (which he has had none so far that I have seen) or if we thought we needed to go up on the dose. But I forgot to ask her how long to wait before asking to go up on the dose. So should I wait about 2 weeks or so to look for side effects?

12 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Our med check is 4 weeks out but the doctor said to let her know sooner if there were any bad side effects (which he has had none so far that I have seen) or if we thought we needed to go up on the dose. But I forgot to ask her how long to wait before asking to go up on the dose. So should I wait about 2 weeks or so to look for side effects?

I would wait at least one week. It could take that long to notice problematic sleeping or eating changes. Then I would give the doctor a call...worst case scenario, she might say she she wants you to wait a bit longer before increasing the dose.

• Like 1