Menu

FAFSA help, please?

Hoggirl

I have a friend whose son is a senior in high school this year.  We (which actually means dh) did our FAFSA one time only back in 2013 because it was necessary to receive our in-state lottery scholarship.  Our ds didn’t receive that as he went out of state to a private school that provides no merit-based aid, and we did not qualify for need-based aid.  So, we (meaning dh) never did the FAFSA again. 

My friend and her son are doing the FAFSA because it is required at some schools where he is eligible for merit aid.  Their FAFSA is coming back with an EFC of 0 with an asterisk which apparently means they need to provide additional verification.  His SARS (I think that it what it is called) is indicating he is eligible for a Pell Grant.  

It is no wonder there is an asterisk seeking additional verification because In no way, shape, or form are these people eligible for a Pell Grant. I’d rather not state specifics of their finances, but they are NOT eligible for any need-based aid.  

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  She says they each did their parts, says they are linked together, and that they used the IRS DRT.  With little experience regarding the FAFSA, I am at a total loss. It “feels” like to me that the parent info is not being picked up at all.  Their projected EFC was in the $90,000 range. So, they know it’s wrong but aren’t sure what to do about it/how to fix it.  

Thoughts/ideas/help, please?

I typed a long reply but apparently wasn't logged into WTM. I will begin again...

There is something terrible wrong. They need to contact FAFSA for help. 

https://studentaid.gov/help-center/contact

We are at the other financial extreme and fill out the FAFSA each year in October. For the Freshman year it was the original FAFSA and for the Sophomore year it was a Renewal. 

They always have forms for 2 different school years on their web site so one must be careful to submit the form for the correct school year.

A number of schools DD applied to, including the Public school she is attending, also required the "CSS Profile" which in my memory was far more time consuming and invasive than the FAFSA is.

Cool that they were able to get the I.R.S. DRT to work. We have never been successful at getting the DRT to work. Possibly because of our Overseas address.

There is something called an FSA ID and I think each party needs a Signature and as I recall there may be several days between requesting the FSA ID and/or Signature and having that approved by FAFSA.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if he filled out something wrong, and is coming back as his own person rather than a dependent?  I've only filled it out once, but I did both my DDs part and mine bc I did not want anything messed up!  Its possible the kid checked a few boxes wrong 🤷‍♀️  I'd tell the mom to get on his side and go over every question herself.   

I will say it was much easier than I expected- I used the DRT.  If you aren't used to filling out Gov forms, its possible they misread something or clicked a wrong button.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

@BusyMom5 - I really think it must be something like this.  While I am ALL for students handling all aspects of their college admissions process, I firmly believe that anything involving $$ needs to be under the parents’ umbrella of responsibility.  

I filled out ds's portion and I still had problems!  I clicked on box wrong and it started telling me I needed divorce papers from his dad.  Eventually I figured out what I had done wrong and corrected it.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 12:37 PM, Hoggirl said:

@BusyMom5 - I really think it must be something like this.  While I am ALL for students handling all aspects of their college admissions process, I firmly believe that anything involving $$ needs to be under the parents’ umbrella of responsibility.  

Yeah, if she has not looked at what he did, that’s the first thing I would do.