Menu

Preparation: Your responsibility?

BlsdMama

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I thought that this thread was broader than what is currently happening in Texas?  I thought the question was more general about how much people should prepare vs rely on governments and community help. So that is how I answered. 

I think that was the initial intention.  Threads, like conversations, tend to meander.  🙂

ETA:  I'll stop meandering now.

Edited by DoraBora

8 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

Has anyone seen this?  A Texas man says he is getting an $8000 electric bill after his electric stayed on during all of this.  It’s not being widely reported though, so I’m not sure if it.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/one-texas-resident-still-has-power-his-bill-now-over-8000-1570343%3famp=1

I've heard a story or two about it on the radio.  I think some people choose electric providers who offer variable rates, which can be cheaper under normal circumstances.  It's not cheaper now.  (At least that's how I understand it.)

5 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

Has anyone seen this?  A Texas man says he is getting an $8000 electric bill after his electric stayed on during all of this.  It’s not being widely reported though, so I’m not sure if it.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/one-texas-resident-still-has-power-his-bill-now-over-8000-1570343%3famp=1

I read about it, but I don’t really know the details. Just glancing through the article, that electric company sounds like it operates a bit differently. That’s crazy though! 

On a side note, we lost power for 37 hours straight a few days back...DH looked at our account online for the electric company, and it shows that we had usage during that time. 😒 What the heck? Hopefully it’s just an error, but I have no trust in them right now. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I thought that this thread was broader than what is currently happening in Texas?  I thought the question was more general about how much people should prepare vs rely on governments and community help. So that is how I answered. 

I wasn't responding specifically to you.  I'm not sure why you think I was.

Edited by MissLemon

8 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I've heard a story or two about it on the radio.  I think some people choose electric providers who offer variable rates, which can be cheaper under normal circumstances.  It's not cheaper now.  (At least that's how I understand it.)

That makes a little more sense then, thanks.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

You quoted me and explained why you answered as you did. So...? 

I quoted you simply because your posts were one of many which moved the topic of the thread. I was just curious as to why it had morphed to be so specific to what is happening in Texas since obviously disasters happen worldwide. 

But I gave my opinion on the OP’s question already and will bow out. 

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I quoted you simply because your posts were one of many which moved the topic of the thread. I was just curious as to why it had morphed to be so specific to what is happening in Texas since obviously disasters happen worldwide. 

But I gave my opinion on the OP’s question already and will bow out. 

Well, probably because this particular disaster is happening right now in our own country and not somewhere else. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoraBora said:

I’ve seen a couple of stories, and I’m outraged. I don’t understand how it doesn’t fall under price gouging. We’re not talking about doubled prices here, it’s 25x or more the usual rate, and no way to say “No, thanks.”

People got arrested for selling disinfecting wipes at ridiculous prices (as they deserved.) The gov’t eventually waived crazy fees put on companies that provided much needed hand sanitizers.  How is no one doing anything about this?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve seen a couple of stories, and I’m outraged. I don’t understand how it doesn’t fall under price gouging. We’re not talking about doubled prices here, it’s 25x or more the usual rate, and no way to say “No, thanks.”

People got arrested for selling disinfecting wipes at ridiculous prices (as they deserved.) The gov’t eventually waived crazy fees put on companies that provided much needed hand sanitizers.  How is no one doing anything about this?

I’m hoping that it gets dealt with at some point as the publicity spreads.  I did read an article last night where they interviewed the CEO of the company and he said they were advising people to switch providers ASAP, away from his own company, which was crazy to read. Even he isn’t happy about this.  I don’t know how realistic that is though, that people can switch right this minute.  

I am seeing more stories about it this morning so hopefully it gains some traction. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

(Here I am, still meandering...)

I think this is different.  People selling disinfecting wipes or hand sanitizer at crazy prices didn't pay crazy prices to obtain their products.  I don't think the electric provider is doing the gouging.  That may be occurring upstream.  (I don't know how energy trading works.)

I would think that a company providing a variable rate electricity product buys energy on the open market to pass on to its customers, marking it up to make a profit.  The CEO of Griddy (the company being highlighted in many of these stories) probably had enough experience to know that power was about to become very, very expensive.  He didn't want that, if for no other reason than it would ultimately damage his business!  That's why he warned his customers.  But surely he has already purchased the power, so if his customers don't pay him, he takes a huge loss.  That isn't right.

Consumers who sign up for stuff like this are thrilled to pay flexible (lower) market rates under normal circumstances.  I've seen advertisements for such plans before, and they just seemed too good to be true (but then I'm even wary of taking out a variable rate mortgage!).

This is sort of related to the preparation issue of personal responsibility v government.  Should state governments fully regulate and control utility companies, or should they allow consumers to shop for their power according to their needs?  If consumers shop for their power, should governments step in when those consumers don't like the way the scenario has played out?  I'm willing to bet that the contract the Griddy customers signed is loaded with warnings about possible dangers of variable rates.

I think it will all be sorted eventually.

Edited by DoraBora
obvious spelling errors - The print is getter smaller! : )
  • Like 2

At this point, I don’t think it serves much purpose to dwell on what individual people could have done. It makes more sense now to discuss what to do in the future to prepare for such an event should it happen again.

One possible example- turning off the water at the meter to avoid pipes breaking or water damage after the pipes froze

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

At this point, I don’t think it serves much purpose to dwell on what individual people could have done. It makes more sense now to discuss what to do in the future to prepare for such an event should it happen again.

One possible example- turning off the water at the meter to avoid pipes breaking or water damage after the pipes froze

Local media and city governments are recommending this.  Turn off the water (at the curb, around here) and open the faucets in hopes that the thaw will let water run out of faucets instead of walls.

I do think we can learn from past mistakes, though.

My friend in Austin just posted on Facebook that she is not expected to get water back in her apartment complex until late next week, because there is something wrong with the heat, and they can't get the heat fixed, and they can't turn on the water without heat.  

She has got a positive attitude and friends, but I feel so bad for her and her son.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Lecka said:

My friend in Austin just posted on Facebook that she is not expected to get water back in her apartment complex until late next week, because there is something wrong with the heat, and they can't get the heat fixed, and they can't turn on the water without heat.  

She has got a positive attitude and friends, but I feel so bad for her and her son.  

Austin's forecast shows temps in the 50s today and the 60s beginning tomorrow.  I hope they'll be able to turn on the water for her sooner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Austin's forecast shows temps in the 50s today and the 60s beginning tomorrow.  I hope they'll be able to turn on the water for her sooner.

That would be amazing!  

Really I think they are just afraid of the pipes freezing -- so if it's that warm it seems like it should be fine!  

On 2/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, ScoutTN said:

But using a stove will not always work, depending on how the fireplace and hearth are built. Rebuilding our fireplace to allow for a wood stove would cost many thousands and take up an impossible amount of room, essentially blocking passage from one room to the next. 

So I've been looking at the wood stove inserts. Do you know that you can buy an insert that essentially fits within the fireplace itself. This one's dimensions are 23Wx19Hx13.75D

https://www.regency-fire.com/en/Products/Wood/Wood-Inserts/I1500

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1