Menu

Wait - people in England put lemon juice on pancakes?!?!

ktgrok

I have "British-type" pancakes (aka crepes), and either they get served with orange juice and sugar... ...or spinach. In the latter case, the spinach is placed on top of a pancake and the whole thing is rolled, to serve with vegetables and chips. (There's no rule that says you can't have the spinach as the first course and the orange juice/sugar version as dessert, however).

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:41 AM, BaseballandHockey said:

I have never had lemon and sugar on a American style pancake, although to be honest I don't know why, because lemon and powdered sugar on a beaver tail (The Canadian snack, not the actual tail of the actual animal), or a crepe, or a Dutch Baby is delicious.  

Maybe tonight, I'll offer that as a choice for our pancake supper. 

Now I have to go look up a beaver tail! lol

On 2/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, Spy Car said:

They are poofy. They are made in a pan (in an oven, but still. Pancakes? I dunno. Some logic to it, I suppose.

I tribulate more over the name Dutch babies. What are they putting in those things? Wee tots from the low countries? LOL.

I hope not, as they are delicious.

Bill

They do have a bit of a similar texture...

• 10 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, Storygirl said:

This is a very yummy thread! Since we are talking about dumplings, I'm wondering if anyone else makes rivels? I learned how to make them from my grandmother's cousin when I was a child, but I've never heard of anyone outside my family talk about them (except when I google it). They are tiny easy, handmade dumplings that we put in potato soup.

I do, yes. Not s as a family tradition or anything, just a recipe I found in a magazine in college.