Menu

Wait - people in England put lemon juice on pancakes?!?!

ktgrok

15 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, I know what a popover is.  And for some reason I thought they were French, lol.  There's a restaurant in the town where I went to college that's famous for its popovers served with their own apple butter.  Yum.  That's really the only place and way I've eaten them.

Why would those ever be called 'pancakes'?  We are talking about the big poofy things, kind of eggy with a lot of air in them?  Speaking of pans, I for some reason also thought they were made in an oven.  Apparently I have not been curious about popovers past having them put on a plate in front of me...

They are poofy. They are made in a pan (in an oven, but still. Pancakes? I dunno. Some logic to it, I suppose.

I tribulate more over the name Dutch babies. What are they putting in those things? Wee tots from the low countries? LOL.

I hope not, as they are delicious.

Bill

• Haha 1

Blini are like small crepes but usually made with buckwheat flour (though I've had them made with regular flour too)! And the filling can be sweet or savory. I basically lived on them when I was an exchange student. My Russian mama would say "What would you like to eat?" Then before I answered would laughing call out "blinichki! 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, I know what a popover is.  And for some reason I thought they were French, lol.  There's a restaurant in the town where I went to college that's famous for its popovers served with their own apple butter.  Yum.  That's really the only place and way I've eaten them.

Why would those ever be called 'pancakes'?  We are talking about the big poofy things, kind of eggy with a lot of air in them?  Speaking of pans, I for some reason also thought they were made in an oven.  Apparently I have not been curious about popovers past having them put on a plate in front of me...

The batter for popovers and Dutch babies is basically the same —  if it's cooked in a tall muffin tin it's a popover, if it's cooked in a large skillet it's a Dutch baby or Dutch pancake.

• Like 1

How to make Dutch babies.

You need to mix eggs, white flour, and milk in the proportions 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup flour to each egg.

Mix the ingredients together, but don't over do it.

Before starting preheat an oven. I use my trusty Breville convection toaster oven. You want the oven hot. You also want a baking dish that can withstand getting hot to get hot in the pre-heating oven.

Doesn't work if you don't get the pan and the oven hot.

When one is confident everything is HOT, quickly pull the pan, put on an appropriate surface (trivet or whatever) and add a generous amount of butter. Move the butter round to coat dish. Pour in the mix. Be very quick about it. Pop the mix back into the hot oven. It will puff up. Remove when golden brown and smells done.

Powder with confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) and top with maple syrup--or in honor of this thread a squirt of lemon. Be especially generous with the powdered sugar if using lemon. The reasons are twofold. One the taste comb of sweet sour is amazing and one needs a balance. Two, the powdered sugar bond with the liquid and reduces the amount of deflation.

Serve immediately if possible to maximize fullness. Additional ingredients like vanilla extract are fine options. It is a simple treat that tastes special.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I dunno.  It's not that far off from chicken and waffles.

Now I'm wondering if all of these people who prefer crepes to waffles also prefer slippery dumplings over fluffy ones.

Chicken & waffles sounds gross to me, although I like savory crepes and galettes*.  I also don't like the type of dumplings in "chicken and dumplings" — they just taste like flavorless starch balls to me. If "slippery dumplings" includes things like potstickers and other Asian dumplings with thin outer layers and savory fillings, I do like those. So in my case your theory would be correct!

*to add to the pancake confusion, "galette" can refer to several different things, from a fruit tart you'd serve for dessert to buckwheat crepes with a savory filling you'd serve for dinner.

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

Chicken & waffles sounds gross to me, although I like savory crepes and galettes*.  I also don't like the type of dumplings in "chicken and dumplings" — they just taste like flavorless starch balls to me. If "slippery dumplings" includes things like potstickers and other Asian dumplings with thin outer layers and savory fillings, I do like those. So in my case your theory would be correct!

*to add to the pancake confusion, "galette" can refer to several different things, from a fruit tart you'd serve for dessert to buckwheat crepes with a savory filling you'd serve for dinner.

I am pretty sure she is referring a rolled, or stretched, dumpling.  They are essentially egg noodle dough that you roll very thin.  Then cut into squares/rectangles and drop into boiling broth.  IMO they are much better than fluffy dumplings.

20 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Blini are like small crepes but usually made with buckwheat flour (though I've had them made with regular flour too)! And the filling can be sweet or savory. I basically lived on them when I was an exchange student. My Russian mama would say "What would you like to eat?" Then before I answered would laughing call out "blinichki! 

Ah, I think my mom just called them blini, but didn't make them with buckwheat flour.  Recipe?  Or do I just need to make my crepes with buckwheat flour.  I love buckwheat.  Kasha is my favorite food.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Is the donuty-type of Pfannkuchen anything like a Berliner??

There are so many regional food words in German.  What here are mostly called Latkes are called Reibekuchen in the part of German my family was from, but I think I've also heard Kartoffelpuffer.  There are likely more words in parts of Germany I haven't been too.  And the hamburger-like patty that is never called a Hamburger anywhere in Germany I know of and is not served on a bun but is kind of more like a meatloaf patty with bread and raisins in it I know as "Frikadellen" but I know that also has many names - I know a second one but I'm blanking on it.

yes, it is a Berliner. Only I am from Saxony, and there you wouldn't be caught dead calling it that!

In my area, we call latkes Kartoffelpuffer.

Another word for Frikadelle  is Klops.

5 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

I am pretty sure she is referring a rolled, or stretched, dumpling.  They are essentially egg noodle dough that you roll very thin.  Then cut into squares/rectangles and drop into boiling broth.  IMO they are much better than fluffy dumplings.

What in heavens name are fluffy dumplings?

What you're referring to sound a lot like Spätzle.  I make that, but I use a "Spätzleschwob" which is like a gigantic garlic press, and you put the dough in there and press into the boiling water, so they end up more noodly than dumpling-y.  Though I think the real old folks from the region used a knife or something to chop the dough in and it was more dumpling-like?

I am mostly familiar with Asian style dumplings (like Peking ravioli and gyoza) and doughy dumplings that go in soups.

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

yes, it is a Berliner. Only I am from Saxony, and there you wouldn't be caught dead calling it that!

In my area, we call latkes Kartoffelpuffer.

Another word for Frikadelle  is Klops.

Yes, Klops! I think I've also heard Königsberger Klops?

I grew up with Latkes as Reibekuchen - I didn't know even know the Latke word till an adult, and Kartoffelpuffer I learned in Germany.

Edited by Matryoshka

1 minute ago, LuvToRead said:

I had to google to see what that was because I've literally never heard of flat dumplings! Is that a regional thing? I think I'd rather just have actual noodles. So maybe that still fits with KunFuPanda's theory that people who prefer crepes to waffles like thinner, less starchy versions of things.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I dunno.  It's not that far off from chicken and waffles.

But chicken and waffles is with deep fried chicken, not pan fried. Has to be battered and fried for chicken and waffles. 

14 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

You need to mix eggs, white flour, and milk in the proportions 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup flour to each egg.

Before starting preheat an oven. I use my trusty Breville convection toaster oven. You want the oven hot. You also want a baking dish that can withstand getting hot to get hot in the pre-heating oven.

When one is confident everything is HOT, quickly pull the pan, put on an appropriate surface (trivet or whatever) and add a generous amount of butter. Move the butter round to coat dish. Pour in the mix. Be very quick about it. Pop the mix back into the hot oven. It will puff up. Remove when golden brown and smells done.

Powder with confectioners sugar (powdered sugar) and top with maple syrup--or in honor of this thread a squirt of lemon. Be especially generous with the powdered sugar if using lemon. The reasons are twofold. One the taste comb of sweet sour is amazing and one needs a balance. Two, the powdered sugar bond with the liquid and reduces the amount of deflation.

Serve immediately if possible to maximize fullness. Additional ingredients like vanilla extract are fine options. It is a simple treat that tastes special.

Bill

interesting, same concept as yorkshire pudding in a way, but sweet instead of savory

14 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Chicken & waffles sounds gross to me, although I like savory crepes and galettes*.  

See, but chicken and waffles is not about savory waffles, it's about sweet chicken. Or rather, sweet and salty together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

What you're referring to sound a lot like Spätzle.  I make that, but I use a "Spätzleschwob" which is like a gigantic garlic press, and you put the dough in there and press into the boiling water, so they end up more noodly than dumpling-y.  Though I think the real old folks from the region used a knife or something to chop the dough in and it was more dumpling-like?

I am mostly familiar with Asian style dumplings (like Peking ravioli and gyoza) and doughy dumplings that go in soups.

I've only had fluffy dumplings once.  I think they are a thick batter that you drop by the spoonful into broth. 

Just now, Corraleno said:

I had to google to see what that was because I've literally never heard of flat dumplings! Is that a regional thing? I think I'd rather just have actual noodles. So maybe that still fits with KunFuPanda's theory that people who prefer crepes to waffles like thinner, less starchy versions of things.

I'm from the midwest and slick, or flat, dumplings are the only kind of dumplings in my area.  You will rarely find crepes around here.  Big fluffy pancakes or waffles are the choices.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

I've only had fluffy dumplings once.  I think they are a thick batter that you drop by the spoonful into broth. 

Okay, so those are more like the soup dumplings I'm thinking of...

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yes, basically biscuit batter. 

Ugh, but wait, one should not use biscuit batter to make a dumping.  That does not sound good...

I think of more the Matzo dumplings in chicken soup.  Or German Knödel.

Edited by Matryoshka

This is what I consider Chicken and Dumplings.  https://bakerbettie.com/homemade-chicken-flat-dumplings/  So yummy!

ETA:  I actually read the recipe and realized I chose a bad example.  The dumplings where I live are just flour and eggs, with maybe a bit of broth.  No baking powder or butter. Sorry!

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

Sounds great! Definitely trying these! 

After we get out of ice storm captivity and can get to the store for lemons...

6 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

This is what I consider Chicken and Dumplings.  https://bakerbettie.com/homemade-chicken-flat-dumplings/  So yummy! 

Okay, I had a feeling this whole 'flat' vs 'fluffy' dumpling was a southern thing.  I have heard tell of chicken and dumplings, but I've never eaten it, and I had no idea there were different 'types' of dumplings - slippery, flat, and fluffy, oh my!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

"Chicken & dumplings" is the only thing I've ever eaten that was called dumplings and they were like gluey, doughy undercooked, chicken-flavored biscuits:

To broaden your horizons... (because yeah, they also sound to me like gluey, doughy, undercooked biscuits...)  When I think 'dumpling' the first thing that comes to my mind is Asian varieties...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/a-guide-to-types-of-chinese-dumplings-4685872

• Like 1

This is a very yummy thread! Since we are talking about dumplings, I'm wondering if anyone else makes rivels? I learned how to make them from my grandmother's cousin when I was a child, but I've never heard of anyone outside my family talk about them (except when I google it). They are tiny easy, handmade dumplings that we put in potato soup.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

To broaden your horizons... (because yeah, they also sound to me like gluey, doughy, undercooked biscuits...)  When I think 'dumpling' the first thing that comes to my mind is Asian varieties...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/a-guide-to-types-of-chinese-dumplings-4685872

Oh I love Asian dumplings! That's what I originally thought KungFuPanda meant by "slippery" dumplings, because the only American dumpling I knew of was dough-balls cooked with chicken, which are pretty much the opposite of Asian dumplings. I can't stand the way the outside of American dumplings turns to glue when they're cooked in stock. Give me a biscuit or noodles, not boiled glue-balls, lol.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Sounds great! Definitely trying these! 

After we get out of ice storm captivity and can get to the store for lemons...

Also good with syrup (or jam) is that's all one's got.

I should have added that I generally use 3 or 4 eggs myself (not one) but the basic recipe can be scaled depend on the size of ones's crowd and the size of the baking dish and oven.

To me they taste "special" for something made for very basic ingredients.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wathe said:

I grew up with lemon juice and sugar on pancakes.    Grandmother immigrated from England, and that food tradition got passed down.  My mother still will NOT eat maple syrup on a pancake.   (Well, really, we had dueling lemon juice vs maple syrup - both were on the table, and there was much friendly family debate about which was any good and which was disgusting)

I'll have maple syrup, but only on the fat pancakes. Golden syrup for the thin!

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

I'll have maple syrup, but only on the fat pancakes. Golden syrup for the thin!

I had to look up what golden syrup is.  Here it's maple or nothing.  We make our own - we have 2 mature sugar maples on our front lawn that we tap every spring, and boil it down in a rice cooker.

• Like 2

Yes! My English mother-in-law makes the *most* delicious crepes with lemon juice and sugar sprinkled on top. Most of us tend to douse them with the lemon juice. Some whipped cream if you have it. 

I've never heard of the lemon and sugar combo on pancakes though. We will have to try that as well.

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

It's kind of like having two entrees.  You get breaded, fried chicken with a side of waffles.  That's the way I heat them anyway.  I don't want syrup on my chicken.

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Slippery dumplings are kind of like really thick noodles.  If you've ever had chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel, this is what you get.  They are not The Good Dumplings, but they are easier to make and easier to make in bulk.  Fluffy dumplings are basically biscuits that have been dropped into a thick broth and steam-cooked so that they are fluffy and bready on the inside.  They rely on baking powder to make them light and fluffy on the inside. If you mess these up you get horrible dough balls.  They have to be dropped in a pot, sealed with a lid, and left alone to do their thing.  If you peek too soon they deflate and get gummy.  These are harder to make and you can't crowd them (or they deflate and get gummy) so getting them outside of a home kitchen is impossible (at least where I live . . . maybe in the south they're served in restaurants?)  When I was a new cook I ruined several batches of dumplings before I realized that my cheap pot lid wasn't sealing properly.

Yes, that's how I thought pancakes were eaten for the first 10 years of my life, then we came on vacation to America and one of the few foods I remember from our hotel were the giant dinner plate fluffy pancakes with maple syrup. My dad ate a giant stack every morning. LOL!

I still think lemon juice and sugar make the best tasting pancakes. The pancakes are really thin like crepes, though. Also, we always used granulated sugar. Lemon juice first then granulated sugar then roll up and eat. Yum!

Edited by importswim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, importswim said:

And America, lol. 

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Golden syrup is light corn syrup. 

No, those are two completely different things. Golden syrup is made with cane sugar, caramelized to get the golden color, often made at home, harder to find in stores.  Light corn syrup is made from corn and it's clear, not golden. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bookbard said:

Golden syrup in Australia is made from sugar cane, not corn. 

10 hours ago, importswim said:

6 hours ago, katilac said:

And America, lol. 

No, those are two completely different things. Golden syrup is made with cane sugar, caramelized to get the golden color, often made at home, harder to find in stores.  Light corn syrup is made from corn and it's clear, not golden. 

wow, okay! I SWEAR I looked at a bottle once that I found somewhere and it was corn syrup....but maybe it was counterfeit or something, lol. 

Now I have to try golden syrup. Y'all are NOT helping my diet! First pancakes, now syrup!

Edit - skimmed the Wiki and it turns out yes, there is a brand found in the US that has corn syrup in it as the main ingredient and is sold near the maple syrup in stores - that must have been what I saw! To get actual golden syrup I'll have to look for Lyles brand, in the international section. At least now I know I'm not crazy!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

wow, okay! I SWEAR I looked at a bottle once that I found somewhere and it was corn syrup....but maybe it was counterfeit or something, lol. 

Now I have to try golden syrup. Y'all are NOT helping my diet! First pancakes, now syrup!

Edit - skimmed the Wiki and it turns out yes, there is a brand found in the US that has corn syrup in it as the main ingredient and is sold near the maple syrup in stores - that must have been what I saw! To get actual golden syrup I'll have to look for Lyles brand, in the international section. At least now I know I'm not crazy!

You're definitely not crazy. I've lived in the states for 30 years and haven't found anything that tastes like Lyles (except, of course, Lyles from the International section of Publix. LOL!)