Menu

5th Grade Planning Thread 2021-22

LauraClark

This will be my first in 5th grade.  He will be a young 5th grader, so I try to be flexible with that. Current plan:

Bible: we've been just reading a chapter a day and going straight through whatever book they pick (currently Romans). I read, we discuss, and they each have a book to put their thoughts/draw a picture. It's working well, so I'll continue that next year.

Math: continue with R&S. 

Science: continue with Berean Builders. We'll be halfway through Science in the Scientific Revolution. I love this curriculum and it's working really well for my history-loving kid.

History: see my previous history thread... I'm still thinking this one through.  I'm going to order a couple books (Kingfisher, On the Shores of the Great Sea, one of the OUP History in Ancient Times) and go from there. I'd like to still do a family read aloud time and then assign him some extra stuff.

Grammar: I'm using Maxwell's Elementary Grammar. We'll continue that and hope to move into Analytical Grammar in 6th.  I do need to add in a punctuation-help book. I'm undecided on that.

Spelling: continue Dictation Day by Day.  He's about 1/2 year behind.  I'm also using this as cursive practice (I make a silly sentence from his misspelled words for him to copy)

Writing: continue with Writing Strands. He will be in book 5, so I think we'll slow it down and add in some research papers and maybe something else too.

Literature: this year I'm determined to make literature match with history (ancients)-at least much more than before. Which means I'll be ordering lots of books (our library isn't the greatest...). 

Greek: we're halfway through book 4 of Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek.  

Latin: we're halfway through book 3 of Latin's Not so Tough

Art: before covid rose to crazy levels I was teaching an art class from my home and that was so much fun. I'm hoping to do that again. We did elements of art this year, but I'm thinking of doing something looking at art through history and focusing on individual artists.

Piano: continue

Typing of some sort

Looking forward to reading what others are planning!

Edited by LauraClark
  • Like 1

My most 2E, special needs, mentally unstable cowboy will be in 5th next year.

Therapy: ABA, rec therapy, behavioral therapy, psychiatric care, etc...about 30 hours a week

Math: Arbor School Algebra, AOPS Alcumus, Real World Algebra

Writing: Lantern English and lots of tantrums
Literature: Hours of Reading + a few oral Narrations + Read Alouds and discussions
Spelling: Spelling Workout
Grammar: MCT Grammar Island + Daily Grams
Poetry: Working through all the MCT poetry books as read alouds
Typing

Science: Mr. Q Advanced Physical Science, just tagging along listening and participating in experiments if he wants

History: Oxford University Press Middle Ages, just listening to read alouds

Spanish: Learning through exposure - mostly ~Spanish 2 material

Art / Music: Comic Book Drawing, Piano

Memorization: Anki

• Like 2

DD10 will be an official 5th grader next year. We've homeschooled from the beginning, so most of this will just be a continuation. If I change my mind, I'll update. We school year round, so each subject is on a different beginning/ending schedule based on how long it takes to go through them.

Math: Beast Academy. She's in the middle of level 5 now and should be finishing in the next 4-6 months or so. She does both the books and online.  I'm trying hard to decide what to use next for pre-Algebra. I may continue with AOPS or I may go a different direction. She's a good math student who enjoys BA. She's also doing Math Kangaroo and enjoying working on practice tests for that. We ended up skipping the last book or two of BA and going right into AOPS PreAlgebra. 

Writing: Writing and Rhetoric. She's in book 4 (Chreia and Proverb) right now, so I expect she'll do Book 5 (Refutation and Confirmation) and maybe Book 6 (Commonplace). At some point I plan on switching to Writing With Skill, but probably not this next year. We ditched W&R. Right now we are writing across the curriculum, but I'll add WWS as soon as that stops working for us.

Grammar: Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind. She's doing it now and it is going well. We'll go until she hits a wall and maybe swing back again with another GWTM book. GWTM was too parent intensive for both of us. We may come back to it but for now she's doing GWG6. She'll finish that soon and skip to GWG8. After that we'll probably go back to GWTM because it is a good program.

Spelling: All About Spelling. She's on level 5 now and will probably be into level 6 next year.

Science: Unschool. She's required to read 15 minutes of non-fiction daily and I might move that up this next year. We also do lots of kits, videos, magazines, and science learning toys. But I don't use any particular curriculum and don't really plan on doing so until probably high school level. So far it is working wonderfully.

History: Unschool. We do regularly listen to the SOTW audiobooks in the car and a lot of the non-fiction she reads is historical. We also watch videos and travel and discuss history a lot. My kids read The Week Kids every week for current events. I added in the History of US series. She's required to read a chapter a day. Some of her writing is done with this program too.

Geography: Continue the Drawing the World series. So far she has done the continents, USA, Europe, and Africa. She just started Mexico/South America. I have her review previous ones while learning new ones and it has been amazing how much she's learned having this "peg".

Spanish: Duolingo. I don't feel strongly about Spanish so I have the kids do Duolingo in hopes they'll pick up a little fairly painlessly.

Piano: Hoffman Academy. She's almost completed the available lessons so we'll probably have to figure something else out, but until then, Hoffman Academy has been awesome.

Reading: She continues to read literature of my choosing for 30 minutes a day and nonfiction for 15 minutes a day. She also does religious study for 10 minutes a day, usually in the form of reading the Book of Mormon. She reads a ton on her own as well.

Miscellaneous: We have subscriptions to Mystery Science, Adventure Academy, Dreamscape, and Prodigy. She's allowed to play on them for up to 45 minutes a day. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 2

Subject to change 🙂

Math - Math Mammoth 5

Science - Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage

Language Arts - 

• Spelling - Spelling Wisdom 1, Nelson Spelling 5, Vocab from Classical Roots 5
  • Grammar - Using Language Well 1, finish Fix It! 1
  • Writing - Writing with Ease 3? Writing & Rhetoric?
  • Canadian Handwriting D
  • Twelfth Night
  • Brave Writer Arrows?
  • Reading list based on history & Canadian history

History - History Quest Middle Times with BYL Level 2 (with 2nd grade sister)

Canadian History - Modern History Through Canadian Eyes, Canadian Homeschooler's Time Capsule, Headphone History, etc.

Canadian Geography - The Great Canadian Adventure geography, Canadian Homeschooler's Trip Across Canada, Draw Canada & Greenland

French - French for Children Primer A, DuoLingo Kids

Extras - 

• Piano. We were given a great keyboard, and since our piano is still a work-in-progress, I'll have them learn on the keyboard for now. She's a beginner, and we'll start with music theory, but I'm still looking for what we'll be using.
  • Fine Arts - Masterpiece Society Drawing 101, & some Medieval & Renaissance artists on the side
  • Typing
  • Some sort of emergency preparedness unit. Natural disasters, fire drills... a youth version of wilderness safety/survival (?) for bears mostly.
Edited by AsgardCA

Next year's 5th grader (my 5th one!):

Math: R&S as the main dish, continue with MEP as the side dish. 

Science: SL core E (most of it... probably won't do both TOPS units).

History: SL core E (second half of American history) -- I have an older version of this core that has been well loved here.

Writing assignments tied to history.

Lit: SL core E, along with various selections from Ambleside Online's Year 3 & Year 4

Grammar & Spelling: R&S for both of these

Fine Arts:  drawing/painting from nature; other informal drawing/painting lessons as well,

music/composer study from AO's rotation.

Health/PE:  running cross country/track for local public school

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

I'll be teaching 5th for the second time next year but this student has a different learning style from my first.  He likes to get his work done quickly, no frills, very logical.  

Math: Singapore Primary Mathematics 5, Supplement with Beast Academy if he wants

Language Arts: Rod and Staff 5, All About Spelling 5, IEW Level A Continuing, Literature through TOG Year 4 UG

History: TOG Year 4 UG

Latin: Continue through the forms, probably starting MP Second Form

Science: Undecided, hoping for co-op to take this one

Piano lessons

Continue typing lessons of some kind and coding as he wants

Hoping co-op happens and we can do art, science, gym, and something just for fun

• Like 1

My current plan for my 1st 5th grader. Things are changing around here as I no longer have only 2 in school....;)

Math Horizons 5 supplement with hands on equations and perhaps division facts that stick

LA: AAS 3-4, Language Lessons for today 5, read books I assign and narrate some, write at least one short research paper/report, writing strands

History: Beautiful Feet History of horse (he needs fun here) and listen in on my around the world study with k and 3 siblings 

Science: Apologia zoology 3 Animals and family nature study

Koine Greek: He's learning the alphabet this year. I think we'll either do Hay Andrew or Memoria Press elementary Koine next. I took 3 semesters in college and my sister in law took many more, but I want an elementary approach. He's excited about this.

Piano: continue

Other: we do drawing, mad libs, math puzzles, picture study, poetry and Bible together. Not all every day;)

Help teach preschool and kindergarten about 10 or 15 min 3-4 X a week. It's good for him and his siblings;) We have lots of good books to read and montessori type activities, so he does 1 of those things.

Edited by countrymum

6 hours ago, countrymum said:

LA: AAS 3-4, Language Lessons for today 5, read books I assign and narrate some, write at least one short research paper/report, writing strands

Which writing Strands will you be using?

Also, I love that you're getting him involved in teaching the younger ones. I'll have a kinder next year so maybe I'll recruit mine to do things now and then-fun idea!

I just don't get to all the phonics and basic math practice thats so good....involving the olders is necessary, and they like it.

The writing strands we have has my name on the cover from when I was in 5th or so grade... its level 3. I think My Fathers World reprints are pretty similar. My mother in law is teaching it (she has the same 25-30 yr old books), but it's hard to get over there. I may have to take it over...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, countrymum said:

The writing strands we have has my name on the cover from when I was in 5th or so grade... its level 3. I think My Fathers World reprints are pretty similar.

I think I have the older version too. I thought they could roughly correspond to grade level so mine was set to start level 5 next year, but I reread the logic stage of my older TWTM and I think we've gone through the first few books too quickly. I may go back and review some of the lessons or his tips and add in other assignments. I'm definitely going to slow down and try to make level 5 last more than a year (maybe we can stretch out the rest of level 4 too).

On 2/21/2021 at 4:54 AM, LauraClark said:

I think I have the older version too. I thought they could roughly correspond to grade level so mine was set to start level 5 next year, but I reread the logic stage of my older TWTM and I think we've gone through the first few books too quickly. I may go back and review some of the lessons or his tips and add in other assignments. I'm definitely going to slow down and try to make level 5 last more than a year (maybe we can stretch out the rest of level 4 too).

I think they have suggested grades in the front somewhere...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, countrymum said:

I think they have suggested grades in the front somewhere...

They do but it's something like (I don't have the book next to me): "use book 5 after finishing  book 4 or if you're age 14", which wasn't very helpful to me. So we've always been way younger than the suggested age, but we finished the previous book, so we just continued on.

I really can't believe I have a 5th grader. 😲

Math, continue on with BJU Math 5 and work through Kate Snow Division Facts That Stick

Reading - Options include reading from Mensa booklist, MP booklist, VP History booklist and anything he is interested in. We will just skip around here.

Spelling - thinking of moving to Spelling Power

Grammar - We may pick up with FLL 4

Writing - Finishing up Treasured Conversations and onto IDK what

Typing - don't know what program yet

History - he has asked to go back to VP whatever the one after middle ages is, Early Explorers or something

Science - Apologia something, he and his brother are currently trying to agree on something

Bible - IDK, possibly VP You Teach

Geography - Highlights Which Way USA + other stuff

P.E. - 1,000 hour challenge 😆

5th seems awfully big when it's the baby... 😳

I've been loosely working on it. He's ten now and asynchronous. 

Math: Beast Academy 5 online and a sprinkling of Singapore 5/6 on the side (occasional enrichments: Zaccaro books, maybe fractions from Hands on Equations)

English: First Language Lessons 4, Treasured Conversations writing (assuming I can find the old download..🤦), Writing Road to Reading for spelling, and a pile of high quality children's literature

History: Oh Freedom! from Woke Homeschooling 

Science: I'm stuck. He's super interested in zoology but I'm underwhelmed by the options. 

Extracurricular: all the ballet classes, maybe adding tap

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, SilverMoon said:

5th seems awfully big when it's the baby... 😳

I've been loosely working on it. He's ten now and asynchronous. 

Math: Beast Academy 5 online and a sprinkling of Singapore 5/6 on the side (occasional enrichments: Zaccaro books, maybe fractions from Hands on Equations)

English: First Language Lessons 4, Treasured Conversations writing (assuming I can find the old download..🤦), Writing Road to Reading for spelling, and a pile of high quality children's literature

History: Oh Freedom! from Woke Homeschooling 

Science: I'm stuck. He's super interested in zoology but I'm underwhelmed by the options.

Extracurricular: all the ballet classes, maybe adding tap

Editing already. After some discussion and deeper looking this feels more solid. 🙂

Math: Beast 5 online, Singapore and enrichments casually on the side

English: First Language Lessons 4, Treasured Conversations (still assuming!), and Megawords spelling

History: Oh Freedom, definitely. This will count for a large portion of his literature and the journal will have writing practice.

Science: Zoology from scratch, encyclopedia spine with real books, documentaries, and a zoo membership

Extracurricular: only boy in ballet, as often as he can

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 1

I have a rough idea what my 5th grader will be doing.  

Math- Math in Focus level 5

Science- RSO Chemistry,  plus extra stuff with older siblings (I think she will understand basic balancing equations, I'm adding in HS level math if she can do it)

History- Joy Hakim books 6-10, plus Sunflower Timeline 

LA- Very much a work in progress- Soaring with Spelling,  Growing with Grammar,  Winning with Writing (or Writing and Rhetoric).  I'm also tossing around Write Shop- I feel like she needs something,  but not sure what it is!  Reading- as long as she reads I am happy, I occasionally suggest books.  Handwriting- cursive but still looking for the right book.  

Extra- fingers crossed we have good co-op classes!  4-H if it has something she enjoys.

• Like 1

I kinda started 5th in January

Math- BA rest of 4 and 5, a little LoF liver and mineshaft (decimals and fractions) for review, HoE (once weekly) and R&S speed drills twice a week.

LA- MCT for grammar and some writing saving essay voyage for fall.

-alice, peter, and mole trilogy for literature as well as free choice otherwise

-CC fable + narrative as the main writing (as well as killgallon once weekly, we are reading through the most wonderful writing lessons ever) and TC over summer.  I have R&S grade 5 and 6 as well. I really love the idea of writing across curriculum, but have not felt comfortable doing that yet. 

- AAS 4-5 and then I would like to be done with formal spelling

Typing- TGATB level 2 

latin- started this week with latina christiana

spanish- spanish for children and duolingo

science- apologia A&P for 8 more weeks, downloaded a free science for light summer then in august start guest hollow physics and chemistry. 

History- sotw volume 2-4 on cd listening in the car mostly. I wanted a fun world history run through then we will start US history from civil war to present.

art-  currently in coop and I have draw snd write books and TGATB level 4 LA companion guide has some fun art we do. 

handwriting- I have 2 prescript cursive books but suddenly decided that I will just require all writing to be in cursive so have not been pushing the formal handwriting

Edited by Kezia
Edited to finish a sentence

Bible: The Ology in the morning basket, The Most Important thing You'll Ever Study in the evening together, and Hero Tales independently.

History: SOTW III with Time Frame (timeline) and Activity Guide as a family, Uncle Sam by Notgrass independently.

Science: Classical Astronomy (MP) as a family, reading Apologia Anatomy independently.

Math: Saxon 7/6.

LA: IEW SSS 1B, Fix It!, The Creative Writer.

Language: Spanish For Children B, Hey Andrew 5, Latin's Not So Tough 3, homemade Japanese (4th year).

Arts: Artistic Pursuits Middle School, Piano, Violin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slache said:

Language: Spanish For Children B, Hey Andrew 5, Latin's Not So Tough 3, homemade Japanese (4th year).

Four languages?!  Wow!!  Evidently your experience of "under the baby" is a lot more productive than mine ever was 😆

I'd love to hear what this looks like from week to week and how you came to be doing four rather than one or two, if you have time to share?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Four languages?!  Wow!!  Evidently your experience of "under the baby" is a lot more productive than mine ever was 😆

I'd love to hear what this looks like from week to week and how you came to be doing four rather than one or two, if you have time to share?

He's definitely advanced and none of my other children will do that. He also spends maybe 2 hours a day writing.

I speak Spanish, tried to teach language arts bilingually, and don't really spend extra time on it. He rotates Spanish and English grammar daily, so no extra time, some of his reading is Spanish and I've just started requiring writing, but I wouldn't require Spanish and English writing on the same day.

For Greek and Latin it's super simple. He does the workbooks by Greek n' Stuff and I now require reading the New Testament (Textus Receptus) every day. On a really hard day classical languages would be 45 minutes.

Japanese is completely child lead (insert story about Japanese obsessed little boy and very uncertain mother), but he's been excited and persistent. It looks different all of the time because there is so much to learn. I'd say he spends anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour on it. He does Duolingo, Rapid Japanese and Pimsluer for audio, and he memorizes Kanji from book designed to do just that. He needs to learn about 7,000 and has maybe 1,500 so far. This is nowhere near as daunting as it sounds. He's read lots of childrens books and he's doing Japanese In Ten Minutes A Day for daily writing practice. So I can't tell you what this looks like day to day or week to week, it just happens how it happens with no pressure from me.

My daughter is going in to 3rd and she'll be doing a Spanish grammar, some writing, and the Greek workbook. She will probably stick to just those two until high school.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

He's definitely advanced and none of my other children will do that. He also spends maybe 2 hours a day writing!!!!

This would be Oldest's nemesis. He HATES writing with a passion. Would be totally jealous of learning Spanish and Japanese though! Hmmmm, now my wheels are turning because maybe I can learn Spanish with him this year and order some R&S storybooks or reader's in Spanish. I think I remember @Renai saying she does this.

Edited by Servant4Christ

I'll have to check on those R and S books. My 3rd grade dd loves spanish and thise would be right up her ally. I'm looking to continue it over summer with her. She loves song school, little pim....anything. That sounds great. I speak a bit of Spanish....not fluent, but not too bad.

Continuing R&S english, spelling, and math. Possibly adding R&S Bible and SchoolAid Health.

History and reading are undecided. I had planned on the 2nd text/half of Notgrass AtB (2011 ed.) and my own reading booklist that corresponds to each time period, but DS found the books and read them. All 40+ of them. (Most of them MULTIPLE times!) and is literally sailing through the second textbook already. So.... I was thinking US geography with states & capitals while recapping this year's history and a couple of unit studies on things he enjoys like WW2, military weapons and vehicles, ect. Then DS says today, "Can we study ancients next year? Or the middle ages? 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

This would be Oldest's nemesis. He HATES writing with a passion. Would be totally jealous of learning Spanish and Japanese though! Hmmmm, now my wheels are turning because maybe I can learn Spanish with him this year and order some R&S storybooks or reader's in Spanish. I think I remember @Renai saying she does this.

Yep, I did. With my oldest, I taught several subjects in Spanish since we are a bilingual family. I used some R&S, as well as a mix of other things, and home made materials. We also did Japanese, but not to fluency. I graduated her with a biliteracy seal. I am doing a lot of the same with my youngest, but adding Chinese instead of Japanese. I have a clearer goal of fluency, and integrating the language into our daily routine. That's what I teach families to do as well. You and yours can always join my Family Time Spanish class to learn Spanish together, too! 

edit: I can't believe you tagged me in a 5th grade planning thread. I'm not ready to think about the upcoming school year! [willynilly]

Edited by Renai
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Continuing R&S english, spelling, and math. Possibly adding R&S Bible and SchoolAid Health.

History and reading are undecided. I had planned on the 2nd text/half of Notgrass AtB (2011 ed.) and my own reading booklist that corresponds to each time period, but DS found the books and read them. All 40+ of them. (Most of them MULTIPLE times!) and is literally sailing through the second textbook already. So.... I was thinking US geography with states & capitals while recapping this year's history and a couple of unit studies on things he enjoys like WW2, military weapons and vehicles, ect. Then DS says today, "Can we study ancients next year? Or the middle ages? 🤦‍♀️ 

Oh, I'm sorry-kids are so quick to change. In 1st grade I had prepared this amazing animal study...kids weren't interested. In 2nd I was all excited to dive into land forms because ds was very interested in creeks/rivers. Then he suddenly lost interest in that and became interested in: animals 🤦. They also do that for their birthdays-they wait until I've ordered the super cool presents that fit what they're interested in and then decide to change their interests. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:36 AM, Renai said:

Yep, I did. With my oldest, I taught several subjects in Spanish since we are a bilingual family. I used some R&S, as well as a mix of other things, and home made materials. We also did Japanese, but not to fluency. I graduated her with a biliteracy seal. I am doing a lot of the same with my youngest, but adding Chinese instead of Japanese. I have a clearer goal of fluency, and integrating the language into our daily routine. That's what I teach families to do as well. You and yours can always join my Family Time Spanish class to learn Spanish together, too! 

edit: I can't believe you tagged me in a 5th grade planning thread. I'm not ready to think about the upcoming school year! [willynilly]

I refuse to name someone without tagging them so they can see. And you're the person I thought of immediately re R&S Spanish curriculum.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, Renai said:

Is your goal Chinese fluency with Gymnast?

I realized recently that I hadn't posted my fifth grade twins' plan for their 5th grade year (though I did their younger entering first grade brother!). Here is the plan:

English Language Arts

The easy parts:

Spelling - continue Phonetic Zoo. We started this mid-way last year during fourth grade, and I feel like the results have been better retention of studied words than the program we did for 2nd, 3rd, half of 4th (Even Moor Spelling).

Writing - we did a Lantern English writing course in their 4th quarter over paragraphs, and I've been happy with it. I intend to do at least two more courses during 5th grade this next year, likely the Composition and Summarizing.

Literature - The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe with Memoria Press Literature guides (already purchased) and Tuck Everlasting with the Book Umbrella on TpT (already purchased). Unsure other than these two, thinking the Sign of the Beaver and one more at least.

Still up in the air:

Grammar and More Writing - we have done growing with grammar and winning with writing from jack kris publishing the last few years. I like that it is simple and easy for them to get done. I'm considering springing for Essentials in Writing this year, though. I have a strong goal to get them writing a 3-5 paragraph essay by the end of their fifth grade year, and I need more structured curriculum with a little stronger focus on writing.

More Literature - Thinking I'll do Figuratively Speaking this year with resources linked on here!

Poetry - linguistic development through poetry memorization?? I'm still thinking on this one.

History

Story of Civilization Volume 4 with Memoria Press supplemental reading for American history lesson plans and other additional books and movies tied in 

Science

Scientific Connections through Inquiry? Blackbird and Company Taxonomy of Living Things bundle? Hop into Nancy Larson Science 1 with their brother? Do Florida Virtual School science (again)? Unsure as always.

Math

Daily Mental Math 5

Singapore Math 5A/5B

Beast Academy 5A-5D

Hands on Equations?

Latin

Continue First Form Latin from Memoria Press, likely will finish by Christmas. Start Second Form Latin.

Logic and Critical Thinking

Chocolate Caper (Logic)

Tin Man Press 5th grade bundle

Maybe revisit Philosophy for Children

Religion

Continue Great Adventure Bible

Other

Typing with typetastic

5th grade recitation from Memoria Press

Kids Cook Real Food

Advanced Scratch with mom (I teach computer science classes online as a part time job), Introduction to Computer Science and Engineering, maybe EE.ME starter projects

Art class in person, probably enrolling in Florida Virtual School Art 5th grade as well

• Like 2

R&S Bible 5

R&S English 5

R&S Spelling 5

R&S Math 5

R&S Science 6

Notgrass History From Adam to Us (only the first textbook) with the primary source book, mapbook, and tests from the student workbook.

Literature books to go with Notgrass and a few interest led books. Oldest is a bookwork so I don't sweat reading.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Math: continue through Euclid

Piano: lessons/practice

Latin: continue Lingua Latina

Literature: Ancients - home-made list of books, discussions and probably some written responses; also some (not ancient) poetry memorization

Writing/grammar: mostly working towards increasing the length/complexity of expository writings

Outside: swimming, gardening, biking, hiking, etc.

Regularly, but not daily:

History: Ancients - still working on syllabus, mostly done through reading/discussion

Art: super informal drawing technique exercises and playing around with watercolors and pens

Science: probably a project/presentation for the homeschool fair, otherwise reading books

Movie Night: most Saturday nights!

• Like 1

Bible: family devotions as well as listening to his personal audio Bible

Handwriting: Write Through the Bible

Math: Math in Focus and Beast Academy, finishing 4 and starting 5

Language Arts: Christian Light Education 5

Reading: He reads for an hour a day, assigned or free reading

Writing: Usborne Write Your Own Story Book

History: Headphone History

Science: Science Shepherd Introductory Level B with DVD 

Typing: still looking 

Art/ Enrichment: Forest School

Greek: Still looking, maybe Greek For Children A

Music: Piano lessons 

Geography: Memoria Press II 

Edited by Aliyah

I should preface this with a note that Publius is the Latin master here. But I talk with him about their plans and sometimes hear the Latin discussions. They use only the main text (Familia Romana) and the goal is to get DS to decipher meaning and understand verb structures from context. They’re focusing on absorbing as much of the Latin (meaning of text/grammatical structures Oerberg features in the text) as they can through reading and re-reading. DH points out where Oerberg is plainly trying to show a grammatical structure and discusses the structure of language generally, like you do with English. It's not a good way to study grammar comprehensively, but it is a good first step. They will follow it up with a more comprehensive study of grammar in subsequent studies.

Their method specifically (from DH): We read together a passage from the text several times out loud, back and forth. The student focuses on trying to understand the meaning of the text directly and without mental translation in the first instance. And then we look at the other clues that the author puts in the margin notes. The student has for an assignment to read and re-read several times the passage for meaning overall, pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar. The student is expected to have understood that passage, the vocabulary, and the grammar and be capable of explaining those aspects. The first part of our discussion is a review to make sure that the student has mastered those elements of that passage. If not, we rework the passage and review the elements. We move forward if it looks like he has mastered the text.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am scaling back this year, both in resources and time. We are moving to a 4 day "school week", and I hope to make Fridays fun with art and activities we have not made time for in the past. 

Bible/scripture memorization/catechism as a group, CLE Bible 6 solo

Math will be LOF prealgebra series. He has completed my beloved CLE through 600s and tests into Saxon Algebra, but I just don't want to go there as a new 10 year old for a few reasons. Thus, we are trying Fred.

Rod and Staff English 6, orally as always

MB Applied Engineering for science, plus the free printable and book that was used in the original edition of AE (Men of Science maybe?). Plus all the random science kits he has remaining from Christmas. Plus animal and garden chores. Plus all the odd items he deconstructs for fun.

Mystery of History volume 2

Geography is a beloved subject. He has Travel Dreams journals for Israel, Germany, and Egypt and has not yet decided which to delve into next year. He is finishing up Italy this week.

Literature/reading will include 2 Memoria Press guides (Stone Fox and The Big Wave). These are titles we know and love but we have never done formal literature analysis so we started with that which was familiar. We also have half a dozen Abeka readers for grades 5/6, and some new Who Was titles. I am requiring missionary biographies to be read and reported on this year. If memory serves, they are Hudson Taylor and Gladys Alyward, but I have to check the shelf. I'd like him to also read Ben Franklin's autobiography once I finish it. I'm also hoping to find more of the suggested reading for MoH2 at the library this year than I did last year. He is a big fan of nonfiction. 

For writing, I nearly pulled the trigger on IEW US History Based Writing but remembered we plan to go back to US history with CLE next year so I'll run them together then. I decided instead to do a year of creative writing so I got Thinking Tree's book with 50 writing prompts and a trim little booklet on short story writing from Rod and Staff. 

Typing and chess online. He has tired of Spanish after 3 years of Duolingo and I won't be pushing more foreign language right now. We have the next Mind Benders book from CTC, which will take no time at all to complete. 

Well now. I felt that I had a cute, minimalist plan for the year but now I am tired just having typed it all out.

Editing to add we plan to sign up for archery since the sabre fencing studio closed. 

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 1

My son will be 11 in July, but I am planning 5th grade.  We are loosely following A Gentle Feast.  I am making some changes and omitting parts.

Math- Saxon 6/5

English/Grammar/ Writing- A Gentle Feast Language Arts (which includes copywork and dictation and one writing assignment a week.  we will omit the grammar)  &  Rod and Staff English 5

These will each be done 1 time a week

• Modern History- The Story of the Great Republic (read 2 chapters at a time) (keep a book of centuries and write one narration a week)
  • Ancient History- Famous Men of Rome (write narration and keep book of centuries)
  • Geography - Book of Marvels The Orient.  I am going to print out a the notebooking pages and have him write a narration and we will mark the places on a blank world map.
  •  Nature- The Child's Book of Nature: Animals (1 narration a week).  
  • Science -Human Body: Blood and Guts and the Way We Work (notebook)

Literature- Tom Sawyer, Bronze Bow, The Aeneid for Boys and Girls,  Little Men, Across Five Aprils

Biography- Abe Lincoln Grows Up, Freedom Train, Galen and the Gateway to Medicine, Louis Pasteur

Piano- Continue Hoffman Academy (he's 3/4 the way through)

Latin- Visual Latin 1 with Lingua Latina (possibly split over two years)- We have already done Prima Latina & Latin Christiana, but took this year off and are going to try Visual Latin

Family Table Time- Picture Study, Composer Study, Poetry, Painting, Handicrafts, Singing, Bible, Catechism, Read Alouds, Church History, Nature Study

• Like 1

Greetings,

I’m new to the forum although I have been lurking for months. Thank you to everyone on the boards who has unknowingly helped me. 😉

Math: Singapore Dimensions 5 with Beast Academy online to supplement. 

English: Mosdos Press Pearl super excited about this. Looking to add a few novels to accompany social studies. 

Social Studies: Oak Meadow 6: Ancients - kind of on the fence. I have read some less than positive reviews. It seems to go far but not deep ( if that makes sense). Thinking about selecting a few chapters from the Oak Meadow book then using MBTP to supplement.

Spelling: Kind of stuck here. DD is a strong reader and not a completely atrocious speller but definitely needs help. She makes repeated mistakes but doesn’t seem to remember when corrected. Former private school instruction was mostly weekly lists by reading level rather than spelling level so she never learned certain rules or roots. We tried AAS this year but it didn’t work for us. We started at level 5, a little lower than the placement test to catch any gaps but it seems too low. Thinking about Apple and Pears or Phonetic Zoo for next year. 

Grammar: analytical grammar? 

Writing: here is where I have the most uncertainty. We used WriteShop F this year and while the program is fine it didn’t seem to challenge dd enough. She is a strong natural writer and wants to write professionally when she grows up. This is our first year with homeschool after a private school that had a pretty good writing curriculum. I’m looking at either adding Cover Story to WriteShop or maybe switching from Write Shop completely. I like the idea of adding a creative writing component but I don’t want to completely forgo non fiction (summaries, reports, persuasive, etc) writing instruction.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Science: REAL Science Odyssey, Biology 

Spanish: we had small group online lessons this year but I am thinking about Homeschool Spanish Academy 

Piano: Hoffman Academy?

3 hours ago, Cole S. said:

Greetings,

I’m new to the forum although I have been lurking for months. Thank you to everyone on the boards who has unknowingly helped me. 😉

Spelling: Kind of stuck here. DD is a strong reader and not a completely atrocious speller but definitely needs help. She makes repeated mistakes but doesn’t seem to remember when corrected. Former private school instruction was mostly weekly lists by reading level rather than spelling level so she never learned certain rules or roots. We tried AAS this year but it didn’t work for us. We started at level 5, a little lower than the placement test to catch any gaps but it seems too low. Thinking about Apple and Pears or Phonetic Zoo for next year. 

My memory may be fuzzy, but I think TGTB teaches most spelling rules. You could download the free LA from them for levels 1-5 and pull out just the spelling lessons until you decide how to approach it. 

• 1 month later...

I think we are finally set. I don't know though, I keep second guessing my choices.

LA- First Language Lessons Level 4, Writing with Ease level 3, Spelling Workout E, TGTB Handwriting

Math- Teaching Textbooks level 5

Science- Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage with 5th-6th grade book extensions

History- Story of the World Volume 2

Geography- DK Geography 5, along with mapping in SOTW

Reading- Alternating between assigned reading and his choices.

Typing- Touch-Type, Read and Spell

Art- TGTB Draw 100 Easy and Fun Trees along with SCM nature notebook, Creative Line Design books, weekly picture study and drawing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/25/2021 at 10:36 PM, Renai said:

Well, I'm back! I finally thought about it.

On 3/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, Slache said:

So does mine. I'm actually hoping to take him to Japan in high school.

I always wanted to do this with Dancer. I was going to go through the JET program (teaching English). We may still get to do a vacation trip down the road. She continues to study Japanese.

So. The plan. I thought I was going to move on to MFW Creation to the Greeks next year, but we haven't finished ECC. Plus, we've neglected her Spanish, thus, that is the focus next year. Plus, I need a way to integrate Chinese into her academics to promote fluency. 

So, this is what I'm thinking:

In Spanish (R & S)

• Lectura 5 (Reading)
  • Espanol 5 (grammar)
  • Ciencia 5 (science)
  • Ortografia 4 (spelling)

In English

• Math - Teaching Textbooks 4 
  • All About Spelling
  • Explorer’s Bible Study - Words of Wisdom (doubles as reading)
  • Geography with MFW ECC

Violin
Chinese - Lingobus, weekly Singapore math 3 class, weekly conversation class
Art - The Great Courses and How to Draw with Mark Kistler 

• 1 month later...

BIBLE: daily devotions (maybe from the "Think, Act, Be Like Jesus" or "I Am - 40 Reasons to Trust God" devotionals) + using the Bible app for kids

HANDWRITING: continuing cursive with TG&TB

MATH: TG&TB's New Math + an advanced level of TT

GRAMMAR: TG&TB LA + G.U.M. Drops Grammar

WRITING: a mix of Writing & Rhetoric Fables and Brave Writer Partnership Writing + freewriting

VOCABULARY: Evan-Moor's A Word a Day

SPELLING: SpellingYouSee Americana

READING: independent daily reading from at-and-above reading level books + read alouds

HISTORY/SOCIAL/GEOGRAPHY: I create my own history unit studies using living resources/documentaries/docuseries/TV shows/etc. We'll also be adding the Horrible Histories books this year. The absolute history & geo basics will be covered through MiAcademy.

SCIENCE: MiAcademy + documentaries/docuseries/TV shows & whatever experiments he does with my husband. We'll also be learning about dinosaurs this year, per his request.

TYPING: probably Typing.com

ART & MUSIC: continuing clay modeling, drawing (Manga & TG&TB), and watercolor courses

LANGUAGE: continuing Spanish fluency

Edited by Erielle
  • Like 1

My youngest started 5th grade yesterday.  We are doing:

Math:  Beast Academy

Handwriting:  Getty-Dubay

English::  Voyages in English, Don't Forget to Write, a bunch of poetry stuff, and lots of readalouds

Foreign language: Hebrew tutor

Science:  Inquiry in Action (American Chemical Society)  

History:  American history, with various books. Starting with the Maestros' series.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, Servant4Christ said:

Ok, finalized:

R&S grade 5 Bible, English, math, and spelling

R&S grade 6 science + CLP grade 5 Nature Reader

Notgrass From Adam to Us (book 1 only) with the workbook and maps. We'll read the primary source readings and the literature books for this, but I've purchased Novel Ties for all but Aesop's fables to help with book specific vocabulary and oral comprehension questions per chapter. 

In addition, I'm adding CLPs grade 6 book Story of Inventions and a 6 book set of hardbacks about aircraft carriers, submarines, ect that Oldest will be super excited about.

For music and art, were going to look up instruments and art from the time periods as we encounter them in history and maybe attempt projects that relate. I'm not overly creative when it comes to this, but surely Google will help me find something.

PE is seasonal and usually sports.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 3:46 AM, JennyD said:

My youngest started 5th grade yesterday.  We are doing:

Math:  Beast Academy

Handwriting:  Getty-Dubay

English::  Voyages in English, Don't Forget to Write, a bunch of poetry stuff, and lots of readalouds

Foreign language: Hebrew tutor

Science:  Inquiry in Action (American Chemical Society)  

History:  American history, with various books. Starting with the Maestros' series.

I’m curious “how much” beast you do, if you’re doing online. In the summer, she was doing 2 sections at a sitting but skipping some of the “extra beast” sections (I felt okay doing this because her AOPS class didn’t even do every single section either). I just don’t know what’s a good amount to do a day/week...

16 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I’m curious “how much” beast you do, if you’re doing online. In the summer, she was doing 2 sections at a sitting but skipping some of the “extra beast” sections (I felt okay doing this because her AOPS class didn’t even do every single section either). I just don’t know what’s a good amount to do a day/week...

We aren't using the online program, only the books.  We've tried the online version in the past and DS liked the format, but I thought he just wasn't learning as much as when we used the books.

I tend to go by time spent on math rather than amount covered, especially in elementary school.  For DS10, about 45 minutes/day seems to be a good amount.  Some days he gets really into it and will go longer; other days are a complete washout after 15, but 45 is probably the average.

Edited by JennyD
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JennyD said:

We aren't using the online program, only the books.  We've tried the online version in the past and DS liked the format, but I thought he just wasn't learning as much as when we used the books.

I tend to go by time spent on math rather than amount covered, especially in elementary school.  For DS10, about 45 minutes/day seems to be a good amount.  Some days he gets really into it and will go longer; other days are a complete washout after 15, but 45 is probably the average.

Yes I’m also curious how much she’s actually retaining from online. This is her second go round on some of these topics so I feel okay about it, but need to get back to paper and books soonish. Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's October and I've already started, but here is what my 5th grader (DD) is doing so far:

Language Arts

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser Cursive

Grammar: Easy Grammar 6 and Beowulf Grammar from Guest Hollow

Spelling: Megawords 2 & 3

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Classical roots and Sadlier Vocabulary

Composition: Finish Writing & Rhetoric Narrative II and start IEW A (1st year) and continue with IEW A (2nd year)

Literature: Stack of good children's literature

Mathematics

Singapore Primary Standards Grade 5 and Beast Academy Level 4; a little Life of Fred for some extra fun (Liver, Mineshaft, etc.)

Science

Fall: Online Astronomy class with Skrafty (uses Apologia text). Spring: Probably something with biology and anatomy maybe with Elemental         Science mixed with some Nancy Larson units. 

History /Geography

My goal is to eventually complete a United States geography study and also begin United States history. So far, I got nothin' < sigh >

Art

Crafting class at weekly co-op

Art history with studio art class at weekly co-op

Continue tap, jazz, and ballet classes 4 days a week

Continue with weekly piano lessons (45 minutes) and practice most days per week (30 minutes)

We changed too, but at least it was befoee we started;) 

Math: Math Mammoth 5

Language Arts: SCM Using Language Well 2, written narrations and paragraph structure

Greek: Memoria Press Koine Greek 1 at 1/2 speed

Spelling: Memoria press Traditional Spelling 1 (It's his nemesis...mine too)

Science: SCM Exploring what God has made (love this)

History: SCM Ancient Egypt sort of with Dianah Warring cds and some other stuff