Menu

LL Bean coat?

mmasc

Does anyone have this coat? I’m thinking of getting it, but I’ve never ordered from LL Bean. I’m wondering

1) will this ever go on sale?

2) sizing? I fall right between two sizes and would prefer to not order both since they don’t have free return shipping 

Thanks!

• Like 1

I do not have that coat.

They do occasionally have very small sales.  10 percent-ish.  

If you get the LL Bean credit card, you do get free return shipping, plus Bean Bucks to redeem later.  And free monogramming, if that's still a thing.  I got the card a long time ago for the free shipping and return shipping.  I love free shipping and free returns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Does anyone have this coat? I’m thinking of getting it, but I’ve never ordered from LL Bean. I’m wondering

2) sizing? I fall right between two sizes and would prefer to not order both since they don’t have free return shipping 

Thanks!

Try retailmenot for coupon codes. There's probably at least an email sign up discount.

As far as the size choice, you can call them and get actual measurements possibly. It's going to be a relaxed fit, so if you would probably go *down* unless you're planning to wear very bulky items.

It looks like a great coat! I wear a down jacket through the winter unless the temps drop below zero. I had been thinking about buying a coat (gave away my last one because I kept not wearing it), and this looks lovely! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Try retailmenot for coupon codes. There's probably at least an email sign up discount.

As far as the size choice, you can call them and get actual measurements possibly. It's going to be a relaxed fit, so if you would probably go *down* unless you're planning to wear very bulky items.

It looks like a great coat! I wear a down jacket through the winter unless the temps drop below zero. I had been thinking about buying a coat (gave away my last one because I kept not wearing it), and this looks lovely! 

Yeah, I bought a ‘real’ winter coat 3 winters ago when we moved to our first legit cold climate. It has worked out well and is still going strong! (Columbia brand). BUT, it hits right above the knee and is perfect for normal, everyday use. But man, when it’s really cold and I’m walking the dogs or something, I *really* wish I had one that goes ALL the way past my knees! I kind of wish I had bought this 3 years ago, because I only for sure know I’d need a coat of this magnitude for two more. At that price, I’m not sure 2 years would be worth it. But I’m awfully tempted! And may get it just to be comfortable for the next two winters!😁

Not that coat, but I order from LL Bean regularly and the quality overall is good and they let you return months later if you have any issue.  And *long parkas are the absolute best* for real cold.

They do 20% off total order types of coupons fairly regularly.  Their specific item sales are end season, models that haven't sold well/are being discontinued, and sizes that haven't sold.  I wouldn't hold off for an item you really want to go on specific sale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I will say I got a very similar long hooded parka on Land's End for about $100 less I've been very happy with this winter.  I always size up winter coats because layering happens and the bigger sizes are often longer.  I use mine for walking.  We regularly use lands end for jackets/winter gear and quality has been good for us.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-winter-maxi-long-down-coat-with-hood/id_327570?attributes=8063,43307,43326,43398,44256,44967

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I will say I got a very similar long hooded parka on Land's End for about $100 less I've been very happy with this winter.  I always size up winter coats because layering happens and the bigger sizes are often longer.  I use mine for walking.  We regularly use lands end for jackets/winter gear and quality has been good for us.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-winter-maxi-long-down-coat-with-hood/id_327570?attributes=8063,43307,43326,43398,44256,44967

That is very similar! Hmmm...something to think about. Thanks!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I have no experience with that coat, but IME LL Bean stuff tends to run slightly larger than a lot of other brands. I usually size down with them if I'm in between.

Lately, I think they are running small. Several things I bought in January had to be returned for the larger size. Shirts I bought in March of last year are bigger than the ones I bought in January.

Personally, I would size up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Thanks!

I love that coat.  Wish I had it right now.  So cold here.  -1.

• Like 1

I have about a $6 credit / gift card for Bean I will never use. Let me know if you're going to buy the coat and I'll PM it to you. Consider it a teeny-tiny coupon. 

Lands' End has sales often, if you decide to go with them. They have a 40% off your order code on the front page of their website right now. Code FAMILY.

DH and I both have parkas from Lands' End. They last forever and are WARM. Unfortunately the zipper on my husband's sticks sometimes. In all fairness, I'm sure they would have replaced the coat if we had asked. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I have about a $6 credit / gift card for Bean I will never use. Let me know if you're going to buy the coat and I'll PM it to you. Consider it a teeny-tiny coupon. 

Lands' End has sales often, if you decide to go with them. They have a 40% off your order code on the front page of their website right now. Code FAMILY.

DH and I both have parkas from Lands' End. They last forever and are WARM. Unfortunately the zipper on my husband's sticks sometimes. In all fairness, I'm sure they would have replaced the coat if we had asked. 

That’s really kind of you! Thank you. I’ll let you know. 🙂

• Like 1

L.L. Bean stuff and their customer service is IME awesome. That said, it is not perfect... Nothing is perfect.

Background: We live in a Tropical Valley and my DD had zero clothes, shoes or boots for cold weather and zero experience with cold weather.  When she went to NC (during August 2019) I sent her with my OLD L.L. Bean Down insulated Parka. It is Red. My Stepson had used it here for awhile when riding his motorcycle.   It has had a lot of hard use.

DD bought a long Down insulated Coat from L.L. Bean in 2019 and she wore it perhaps several times and it was defective. There were apparently incredibly tiny holes and some of the insulation was coming out of the Coat.  I suggested that she return it to LL Bean and she did that and got a Refund to her Credit Card account. 

Also,, I suggested to her, and I am suggesting to you, that you WAIT until approximately 01 November to order what you want. At that time they will have the biggest selection and the biggest choice of colors, sizes, etc.  If you have any questions call or Chat with their Customer Service.

DD is home now, taking courses that are all "Online" during the Spring 2021 semester. Before she came home, I found another Cold weather jacket. Down insulated.. It looks Brand New. I think it is Dark Grey. I remember at that time my wife took 1 or 2 photos of it and sent them to DD.  So, when she goes back to NC she will have 2 of my old Winter jackets.  If she wants to buy one made for women she will do that on or about the first of November.  

If there is an issue or if you don't like it, send it back for something else or a Refund.

• Thanks 1

I agree early Nov is when they have the widest variety of coats. However the one you are looking at is the warmest they carry, at least for the past few years.  I've had my eye on it too.

Also, if you're interested in their knee high shearling lined boots order those ASAP in August if you wear a common size.  I had my eye on those for three years before I snagged them because they always sold out so fast!  Never mind, this year the boots are still in stock and on sale.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Just echoing that if you are between sizes, go UP. so that you can comfortably layer for winter weather.   You need the room for the sweater and/or the vest, the scarf, etc., especially if you plan on being outside for any longer times.  Multiple layers are better than one fat layer-- and it is easier to take a layer off if you start to get too warm. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I ended up ordering this coat to give a try. I know it’s nowhere near the quality of the LE or LLBean, but I figured for the price I’d give it a go. I can always order one of the others in Nov if this one doesn’t work out. I still have some winter left this year to try it out. I kind of like that it isn’t down, even if that means it won’t be nearly as warm. Obviously I don’t want it to be just a ‘fashion’ coat because it gets really cold here, but it gets good reviews so I’ll see I guess.

Thanks for your input everyone! I’ll keep it on hand in case this one is truly a poor coat for what I need and need to order something else. 

• Like 1