Menu

Tackling Monday Together

mom31257

Good morning! I pray all of you in the storm's path can keep power and stay warm!  We will have cold rain. 

The usuals are done. 

• breakfast for ds, lunch and dinner
  • teach 3 Zoom classes today 
  • make sure ds is doing his SAT prep along with other school
  • prep for co-op classes this week
  • read book to decide if I want to use it for book club

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 4

Good morning- We have snow and I have no idea the condition of the roads, but I can't talk dh into calling off. Today's plan:

Worry and pray for dh's safety-work is a little less than 10 miles away-done

Continue coffee-done

Clean the bathrooms-half done

Continue to work on mail and shred-done

Clean some more cabinets

Deep clean

Work in all three bedrooms

Clean oven rack-done (partially-do they ever get really clean)

Clean the stovetop

Start a grocery order-done

Cook dinner-Honey Baked Chicken I think it's called-in the oven

Edited by math teacher
update
  • Like 5

We got sleet, a dusting of snow, and a thick layer of sleet on top. No one is going anywhere in Nashville today! It is supposed to snow all day, but no sign of that right now. 

Ds has no school (He was off for Presidents' Day anyway.) and is still asleep. 
Dd is just settling down to school work. 
Dh has been working for a while already.

I've made breakfast for the two who are awake, taken my meds, done blood sugar test, and cleared my inbox. Next up: breakfast and coffee for me! 

Later: 
Call mom! ✔️ 
Make sure Ds does his HW
Make the bean soup 
Read
Lesson prep for tutoring 
Tutor on student virtually and log the session. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

I wish today was one of those holidays when nobody works at all (other than me - I work every day - but I don't want to have people waiting for my stuff).

Well, except for the chiropractor.  I want them to be working so my kid can be seen.  She's pretty sore from her fall off the horse on Friday.

Question - should I email my kids' English teacher?  My kid has a bunch of work showing as not submitted.  Over the weekend, she was supposed to go through the list, confirm whether or not she successfully submitted each item, and contact her teacher regarding the status.  But she has not been in condition to do school work all weekend, and really still isn't.  Should I ask him for grace, or make her ask for grace (or both of us send separate emails), or hope she gets things done later today?  It wouldn't be a difficult question if the work involved was all very recent, but it isn't.  ... Maybe I could bribe her sister to help her at least find out what was submitted and what wasn't ....  (They have the same English class.)

Done:

• Woke up several times - last time at 8:something.
  • Checked on kid2.
  • Called the chiro and got appointment for 2:45.
  • Made my bed & cleaned up some kid mess in my room.
  • A little reading.
  • Caught up on calendar, emails, news, and social media & checked kids' grades.  (Still straight As this quarter for Kid1, wow ... this does NOT come easy for her.)
  • Working on last night's coffee which was on my warmer all night.

To do:

• More coffee.
  • Amazon order.
  • Lots of client work.
  • Make the kids do school work, probably review their essays later today.
  • Kid2's chiro appointment.
  • Exercise???
  • Whatever else gets done.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Took in and put away the groceries that just got delivered.  This always involves some fridge cleaning / rotating / eating stuff that is close to expiration.

I found it funny that the bread came with a sticky note saying "too hot and fresh to slice."  Too bad we don't have a bread knife.  I'll be adding one to my Amazon order.  😛

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

mathteacher, I pray your dh made it work safely and will back home as well. 

SKL, I would definitely email the teacher and make him aware of her situation. I would still probably get the sister to help her go through it and check. So sorry the chiropractor isn't open! Praying she feels better soon. 

Chris, I'm so sorry you don't feel well! Prayers for you! 

2 math classes done, one more to go.

did some research for my hands on math class Friday 

• Like 4

Found new homes (or temporary homes) for a pile of school supplies that was on my bedroom dresser, and a box of donations for my kids' old school.  My dresser is now "only" half covered (mostly with kid books).  This is progress!

I contacted my kids' old school and their old AHG troop in the hope of soon sending some donation items to their next homes.

I nudged my kids for the 3rd time about getting some school work done.  (Kid2 [horse girl] seems OK to do school work today, but she is putzing.  Kid1 went to bed well after midnight and just isn't feeling it yet.)

I'm not feeling it with work so far either.  I guess I should do my Amazon order next.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

Good morning!  Praying for all who are encountering the storms.  TC, praying you feel better.  SKL, praying that your dd feels better soon.

To do today:

• blueberry muffins, new recipe, in the oven right now
  • lesson plan and grade (late afternoon)
  • meal prep from grocery run yesterday
  • talk with dd, see if she will apply to other schools before the deadline
  • look online for some t-shirts,  a new sweater/cardigan (my teaching uniform 🙂 )
  • pay bills, work in craft/office room for awhile
  • treadmill and weight workout
  • steak and salad for dinner

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Yep,  just went outside and part drizzle, part sleet and within 3 hours, all sleet.

Yes, I do feel better now so doing bird counting

You have birds out in this?! I have seen two crows and two robins. I think every creature in middle TN is under cover right now, as best they can.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Finished my Amazon order(s) and revised my "subscribe and save" orders.  I want to reduce the amount I buy from Amazon, but I'm still too lazy to drop them all together.  😛

Finished my shower / personal grooming.

Nagged the kids yet again about school work.

Emailed my kid's teacher.

Still don't feel like working!  Napping sounds good though ....

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

You have birds out in this?! I have seen two crows and two robins. I think every creature in middle TN is under cover right now, as best they can.

Yes, a lot of them. Everything from a yellow sapsucker to American Goldfinches that are actually starting to get yellow to Eastern Towhees to one bluebird--bluebirds only rarely come into my yard because they prefer less wooded areas.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Yes, a lot of them. Everything from a yellow sapsucker to American Goldfinches that are actually starting to get yellow to Eastern Towhees to one bluebird--bluebirds only rarely come into my yard because they prefer less wooded areas.  

I always see a variety of birds in our backyard starting this time of year and into spring. Some I don't know but we do have cardinals, robins, mourning doves, wrens, blue jays, and many more. 

• Like 4

Just now, mom31257 said:

I always see a variety of birds in our backyard starting this time of year and into spring. Some I don't know but we do have cardinals, robins, mourning doves, wrens, blue jays, and many more. 

Yes, we normally have mourning doves, but not this year for some reason.  New ones for this year are chipping sparrow. red breasted nuthatch- white breasted is always here - 3 Towhees, and the yellow sapsucker were new for the list as was the blue bird.  Now we have had towhees, sapsuckers, and blue birds here before but I have never seen a chipping sparrow or a red breasted nuthatch here before.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

We usually have lots, but not today with the sleet coming down!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Yes, we normally have mourning doves, but not this year for some reason.  New ones for this year are chipping sparrow. red breasted nuthatch- white breasted is always here - 3 Towhees, and the yellow sapsucker were new for the list as was the blue bird.  Now we have had towhees, sapsuckers, and blue birds here before but I have never seen a chipping sparrow or a red breasted nuthatch here before.

Our mourning doves always sit on top of our chimney and we can hear their coos come down. Chipping sparrows were new for us in the past year too! Oodles of bluebirds. I saw about 15 when running a short errand the other day.

• Like 3

Talked to hospital social worker and liason person from the rehab place. Mom moves tomorrow. She has no clothes with her and will have to live in hospital gowns for a while because I cannot get there. Also absolutely no visitors due to covid, so no way to check up on her care. But it is a good place and mom has been there before. They will work with her assisted living place to make sure she gets her second vaccine shot on 2/23, as scheduled. I may have to drive her back and forth, but that is fine. A chance for a short visit.

Made bread. Yummy.

Discussed next year's school schedule with Dd now that the schedule for her tutorial is out. Tomorrow is registration day for her online Lit class. 

Reviewed Ds' financial aid documents for school for next year. They raised the tuition substantially. They raised our assistance, but not as much as the tuition went up. It will be a stretch for us, but Ds is not an easy kid to teach and they are doing well with him so it's worth every penny. Noted an error on the form, they have him in the wrong grade.

Checked chemistry

Dinner is made, so I may go rest and read for a while. 

• Sad 4

just popping in -- I don't have power (been off since 7 am,  currently 4:20 pm, "they" say expect it to be out all of today, maybe longer....apparently there simply is not enough power to actually deliver......) but DH let me pop on w/his hot spot real quick so I could check the neighborhood fb page. 

We got some snow, it's still freezing outside (23* outside, not sure what the "feels like" is, 62* and holding inside, but supposed to be much colder tonight, so not sure what the indoor temp will get to overnight). 

We have gas to cook with, our pipes are good so far, we moved the fridge stuff outside to keep safe, we have plenty of layers on and for sleeping, plenty of battery and oil lamps/lanterns for light come nighttime, and the kids are all in for the adventure. We've had 2 people offer us to come stay, but with the animals (2 dogs, 2 cats) we're comfier staying put (not to mention, with the power grid issues, they may be w/o power soon anyway). 

What's hilarious is that the sun is melting the snow off the picnic table....but it's so cold that it's freezing into icicles as it drips down. 

Anyway, popping back off to preserve battery, dh's phone, etc. Our cell service is wonky, too, so.....

Worst part is: no radio (all the wrong kind of batteries in the house), and no sewing. Waaah! (we are reading, board gaming, lego building, etc., but I was hoping to use my day off to make progress on my mystery quilt. Guess not. Boo.). Will check in in the next day or two, hopefully, as I can. 

• Like 4

Scout, will the hospital let you send something via FedEx, UPS for your mom?  This must be so difficult for you...

SKL, I hope that your dd's teachers are understanding.  Hope she is on the mend soon!

Reader, hope that you are doing well!  Ironically, my brother and his wife moved to a small town in Texas to escape the East Coast weather.  They are at 5 degrees today, rolling blackouts.  It's good that they are experienced in all of this.  

Dh and I made a Target run, dropped off some essentials to our boys. I'm going to cook up steak using the air fryer, make a couple of lunches for the week.  

• Like 4

The kids have a "calamity day" tomorrow.

Not that it makes much difference - they would have only logged in from home, long enough for each teacher to take attendance.  I told them they still have to do the work that was already due today/tomorrow.  (Except not horse girl.)

But hopefully this will mean no new work assigned tomorrow? 

I've noticed that there are no real breaks in high school.  Long weekend, teacher in-service day, whatever - assignments don't seem to stop.  Kind of like being a business owner.  😛

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, math teacher said:

I sincerely can't imagine being without heat in this temperature. I worry about everyone who is without power. So far, mine has remained on. It's supposed to get down to 1 degree tonight. 

Yeah, even if we could stay warm with blankets etc, how are the pipes not going to burst?  Keep all your faucets running if this is your situation.

• Like 5

@readinmom

Once the ice melts and it’s safe to drive, I can get whatever mom needs or wants from her apartment and drop it off for her at the rehab facility. No delivery service is happening here, at least not in my neighborhood. Haven’t seen a delivery vehicle since Saturday afternoon when the fog began to freeze. 

We have a flat lot at the top of a huge hill with steep, winding roads up/down. Most of Nashville is hilly and many roads have little to no shoulder and drainage ditches on both sides. I bet the interstates are ok and even major secondaries, but my city doesn’t have the resources to salt or clear residential roads. We’ll just stay home and be thankful for electricity, heat, and water for a few days! 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

we had a cardinal Sunday, which we never have here! Not much out yesterday at all with the weather, but gobs of stuff out today. I have no idea what they all are....I should take pics and look it up. We put out birdseed and have several berry-producing plants for the birds. 

15 hours ago, math teacher said:

I sincerely can't imagine being without heat in this temperature. I worry about everyone who is without power. So far, mine has remained on. It's supposed to get down to 1 degree tonight. 

14 hours ago, SKL said:

Yeah, even if we could stay warm with blankets etc, how are the pipes not going to burst?  Keep all your faucets running if this is your situation.

thanks all! I was amazed how well insulated our house is -- when power came back, it was 16* outside, but 56* inside. People are calling in and reporting things like 33, 34 inside the house. I cannot even fathom. Definitely required lots of bundling up even at 56*. 

We did drip the faucets that are against exterior walls, left the cabinets open so the warmer inside air would help, wrapped the outside faucets, and so far, so good. A lot of cities around us are losing water I guess due to the power outages affecting the water plants, city water wells going off line, etc. 

• Like 1