Menu

Long Shorts for Girls

4atHome

I'm looking for knee length shorts that are not skinny.  In the past, I just searched for Bermuda (they seem to be getting shorter) or capri (seem to only find skinny capri or capri leggings).  Any suggestions?  Girls,  size

Edited by 4atHome

Check out girlswillbehq.com. They are not to the knees - but they are longer than most.   Size 12, though, is nearing the end of their sizing. ☹️  We like both styles of their shorts. They are on the more expensive side, but I figure part of the money I’m shelling out is to support a small business and to show that there’s demand for longer, well-fitting shorts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4atHome said:

Maybe the cargo shorts would work.  I bought boys union bay cargo shorts from costco last year, and rei boys shorts.  I would like to buy the same length but girl colors, etc.

I buy my girls' shorts from the boys section.  It's super annoying, but we try to get girls colors in with the t-shirts.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 4atHome said:

Maybe the cargo shorts would work.  I bought boys union bay cargo shorts from costco last year, and rei boys shorts.  I would like to buy the same length but girl colors, etc.

were the boys’ shorts baggie?  The few times I’ve tried this for just knit pajama shorts, they look baggie in all the wrong places (and tight in the wrong places too!)

3 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

were the boys’ shorts baggie?  The few times I’ve tried this for just knit pajama shorts, they look baggie in all the wrong places (and tight in the wrong places too!)

The UB shorts from costco were really cute.  I wish I would have gotten more in all the sizes to grow into.  They were straight leg, not overly baggy, and didn't have big puffy pockets.  They were called cargo but the pockets were flat and didnt have flaps that wrinkled up and needed ironing, I think it was just a slit with velcro inside.  These really didnt look boyish. 

Uniform shorts are so dowdy looking.

Edited by 4atHome
  • Like 1

We buy pants from the thrift store and cut them off.  Much less aggravating that way.  We have even bought new pants for this purpose.  

ETA: I sew so can hem them nicely although sometimes they like frayed ones if they are denim.  Also, good use for jeans/pants from the previous season that got holes in the knees. I just make them shorts 😜

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

We buy pants from the thrift store and cut them off.  Much less aggravating that way.  We have even bought new pants for this purpose.  

ETA: I sew so can hem them nicely although sometimes they like frayed ones if they are denim.  Also, good use for jeans/pants from the previous season that got holes in the knees. I just make them shorts 😜

Unfortunately, I do not sew. No patience for crafting.  DD loves to sew, but I'm not sure she is skilled enough to hem pants into shorts.  I picture legs of unequal length.

11 minutes ago, 4atHome said:

Unfortunately, I do not sew. No patience for crafting.  DD loves to sew, but I'm not sure she is skilled enough to hem pants into shorts.  I picture legs of unequal length.

My daughter could do this with basic sewing skills (the trick is to cut one leg and then use that leg as a pattern for the other leg).  You could use hem tape to make it even easier.  I'd let her try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lynn said:

You may have to look in the boys department.  Their shorts tend to be made longer.

So far I have bought most of my daughter's shorts in the boy's department but my sister has voiced concern about what it is going to do to her sense of self to be buying stuff in the boys department.

We used girls' basketball shorts for a time. Loose and knee length. I found the best deals on eBay. Check sizing on the manufacturers' websites before buying on eBay, though. Often sports shorts don't correspond to regular L / XL sizing. 

Walmart had some nice, loose, longer denim and twill shorts a few years ago. You might still find some on eBay. Faded Glory brand, I believe. ETA: These. Very modest and comfortable and look nice, too.

Very modest but spendy skorts here: https://dressingforhisglory.com/collections/girls-size-category. I've never ordered their skorts, but was happy with a bathing suit I bought for myself there. 

ETA: I'm another who gave up the fight. 😬 Still no short shorts allowed, but I do allow tighter cut-offs and Bermudas.

Edited by MercyA