Menu

We're probably sending DD back to school for next year (6th grade). The school is asking for a grade report for the 2 years she was homeschooled. I've explained that we don't have anything because she's been homeschooled. Then they asked about standardized testing. DD was supposed to take standardized tests through the hybrid school last spring but they were cancelled due to COVID. 

I don't know yet if this is going to be an issue. (fingers crossed)

I did a Google search and found that homeschooled students can do standardized testing online. Has anyone done this? Is one service better than another? 

I believe you can purchase and administer the Stanford-10 at home in all U.S. states except Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York, as long as your state does not have any restrictions or special requirements for you as the parent to administer the test.

If you prefer online testing options, Seton Testing Service, and, Homeschool Testing Service both have received good reviews from posters on these boards.

Good luck!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

We're probably sending DD back to school for next year (6th grade). The school is asking for a grade report for the 2 years she was homeschooled. I've explained that we don't have anything because she's been homeschooled. Then they asked about standardized testing. DD was supposed to take standardized tests through the hybrid school last spring but they were cancelled due to COVID. 

I don't know yet if this is going to be an issue. (fingers crossed)

I did a Google search and found that homeschooled students can do standardized testing online. Has anyone done this? Is one service better than another? 

Well, firstly, you can still make a grade report. Find a good template, give it your best shot.

Secondly, I don't know about online testing, but you can buy a couple of standardized tests and administer them yourself, then send them in for scoring. I would go ahead and do that now, just in case. Then you don't have to worry about it. Bayside School Services does not require the test administrator (that would be you) to have a degree.

I also recommend having a photocopy of your dc's birth certificate and immunization records.

• Like 2

What state are you in, if you don’t mind sharing? Someone here might have experience with what is actually required.

I give a standardized test to,y child yearly, and have changed up which test a few times to find the most useful one for us. The NWEA MAP, linked above by Kirsten, is by far my favorite. It gives useful information, is fully adaptive (adjusts the difficulty of questions to pinpoint level), untimed but generally takes about an hour for each of two sections, and gives an instant score at the end of each section plus a full report within a couple days. It is also currently used in many school districts in many different states, so there’s at least some chance your school will already be familiar with it.