Menu

Does this math program exist? Spiral, integrated, conceptual, 7-12, teacher support?

I'm moonlighting on this board - although I have an afterschooler in 8th, I'm not quite in the HS category yet, but I'm hoping y'all will have a better idea of what programs continue to be good through the high school years, rather than just seeming good in middle school.

I'm trying to decide what to do after Singapore for a kid going into 6th and a kid going into 9th - obviously one a little accelerated and one a couple years behind.  I'm not in the US, and math in my country is usually integrated - so each year will have a little algebra, a little geometry, etc rather than separating each strand out into its own year.  I don't want to just do Singapore Dimensions for two years and then end up tossing them into one of the standard programs here anyway - if I can't find something likely to take them right through to year 12, I'd rather make the switch now when the stakes are a little lower.

To borrow a phrase from another boardie, my accelerated kid will "happily have math when served it for lunch, but doesn't want it for snacks", so I don't think AOPS is the right path (and definitely not for the afterschooler).

My own math education was distinctly procedural, and I have appreciated the Singapore Home Instructor Guide for its clear explanations of how to teach the "why" of the concepts.  I took a humanities track at college, so I expect to lean on a teacher book more as they get into the upper levels.

There is a "Singapore" type book available here called "New Syllabus Mathematics" (published by Shinglee I think?) which has five years' worth of work and claims to include a teacher resource book, though I can't see samples online and am reluctant to fork out $175 for a single year sight unseen!

What would you do - or avoid! - in my shoes?

IIRC, there were people on these boards using the new syllabus Singapore series awhile back so if you search smart enough, maybe you can find more.

There are other integrated options out there... but American schools that use an "integrated" approach usually just do a three year pre-algebra, algebra I and geometry approach, not a long term integrated math sequence. Plus, I don't know of anyone providing teacher support for in depth integrated the way that say, Nicole the Math Lady does for Saxon or Derek Owens does or in a full class style thing like they have here at WTMA and other providers. I know of a couple of providers who have integrated math, but not at the upper levels and not places with amazing math reputations. If anyone knows of such a thing, please share, but I think you're going to be out of luck.

59 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

It seems to me Derek Owens is the go to for kids wanting rigor but not AoPS. Foerster textbooks could be another option. 

If Foerster, possibly Math Without Borders teaching videos and worked solutions might be enough support? https://mathwithoutborders.com/

Integrated doesn't exist AFAIK probably because IM was never adopted by homeschoolers. A basdic demand = supply or in this case a lack of demand.

Edited by calbear

2 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

To borrow a phrase from another boardie, my accelerated kid will "happily have math when served it for lunch, but doesn't want it for snacks", so I don't think AOPS is the right path (and definitely not for the afterschooler).

For the record, I don't think most kids who do AoPS love math 🙂 . So it could be worth a try -- I wouldn't discount it immediately.

If you want to try Shing Lee (I used their version of primary maths after getting one level by accident, and my kid preferred the more "Singapore" flavor and animal illustrations to the Mitchell Cavendish Americanized one), see if you can find someone stationed in Singapore who can ship it to you. The cost is MUCH less that way, at least for student books (I didn't order a teacher's guide). 

6 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

Foersters is not spiral.   I haven't seen Dimensions, but MiF Courses 1 and 2 are also not spiral.  I have not seen DO's alg course, but his precal course is also not spiral.

You are right. 

I think Saxon is the only spiral one I have ever come across. 
And Integrated math is a post Common Core phenomenon. It will be hard to find quality textbooks that are integrated. 
Hmmmm. 

Edited by Roadrunner