Menu

ISO anti-racism curriculum

wathe

Our social studies focus this year is social justice.  Kids are 11 and 13.

Thus far we've read lots of books - both fiction and non-fiction - around social justice issues (I am Malala, MLK biographies, The Secret Path, I Am Not a Number, March, etc).  We've spent a lot of time discussing current events (it's been quite a year for that!)

I'm looking for something to use as a spine or guide for a more formal/methodical/academic study of racism, and to introduce critical race theory.  An organized framework, list of topics, definitions of key terms etc.  I've combed the internet and haven't really found what I'm looking for.  The closest thing I've found are primers for professionals - like this one for medical educators.

Anyone know of anything like this?

• Like 1

Oak Meadow's Foundations in Social Justice is aimed at teens and adults, but may be a good resource. They also have a page with book and movie lists for families to explore together that I've found helpful. https://www.oakmeadow.com/teaching-kids-about-social-justice-racism/ Their Race and Ethnic Studies high school course sounds like it may be a good fit as well. We haven't used any of these resources specifically, but we're using their seventh grade history and I'm happy with the higher level thinking the readings, writing assignments, and projects support. Oak Meadow is pretty well known, so this may not be news to you, but just in case you missed it😃

Edited by Hillcottagemom
More info
  • Thanks 1