Menu

Veritas Press SP & Omnibus OR...

mrsfellman

I am working on our curriculum choices for the coming school year & I am feeling uncertain on where to go with History. I will have a 7th grader (12 yrs old this summer), 4th grader (a bit delayed in reading/spelling but we are making lots of headway with our change to LoE) & my youngest is 1st/2nd grade. All are boys. 😊 I want all to start back at Ancient times as we have already studied Middle Ages & Modern Times. My oldest 2 have been doing & loving V.P. S.P. History & Bible this year. I have been considering moving older DS to their Omnibus Course & having the younger 2 do the SP History for Old Test/Ancient Egypt but I don't feel "sold" on Omnibus as being right for ODS. I have considered switching to either Mystery of History or SOTW. But my boys LOVE anything online, especially with videos & games. I also like the idea of having at least 1 subject we can all do together. 

Anyone on here have experience with Omnibus? Pros/Cons? Should I consider the other two curriculum choices instead & let go the computer aspect of VP SP? My boys all hate physically writing stuff. We do it but I also don't want to force lots of writing in other subjects. I already scribe half of math for the younger boys because it's what they hate the most about schoolwork. 

48 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

They have a 7th grade transition if he is not ready for omnibus.

I did not realize this! I'll have to look further into. I thought about having all 3 boys do the SP History course & just have older DS do a little extra assignments from me. 

17 minutes ago, mrsfellman said:

I did not realize this! I'll have to look further into. I thought about having all 3 boys do the SP History course & just have older DS do a little extra assignments from me. 

I'm not quite there. My oldest is in 4th grade so I never know what is "enough", but I learn stuff from VP. In my mind it's enough for 7th grade. Certainly more than I ever learned in school. Someone with older kids can chime in on that. I started my youngest out on vp history in 2nd, but if I had it to do over I'd do them for grades 3-7. My vote is for all 3 to do it together The 1st/2nd grader will pick up plenty, mine did. I wouldn't do omnibus just yet, it looks like A LOT! 

• Like 1

We have used VP SP history for years with all of my kids and it is great. We used Omnibus 1 for my 7th and 9th graders last year. It was a great year -- but it was A LOT. We ended up auditing the course so we could have flexibility and skip if we needed. We ended up only skipping one book each from primary and secondary but it was enough to give us some breathing room. We took a break from Omnibus this year but my ds will take Omnibus 2 or 3 secondary only next year. My kids are not super students and I did feel reading so much -- more than I would have liked just went over their heads. The program itself is excellent however. 7th grade is early to start. My dd would not have been ready at that point but my ds did ok. They still talk about some of the books they read like a badge of honor after a war, lol. They enjoyed the videos and I thoroughly enjoyed the writing assignments and discussions found in the book that we added. My youngest is doing VP self paced and she will probably complete the self paced history series in 7th. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So after studying more on the Omnibus and reading through the comments here on WTMA it sounds like Omnibus is not a good fit for our family. 

I'm still trying very hard to decide between using our MOH Volume 1 next year or stay with VP SP courses (OT & Ancients). I see things about each I like. I would probably just use our MOH but my boys absolutely LOVE the VP SP courses they are doing this year. I've considered just getting 1 account for it this year and doing it together. We have a large projector/screen set up for our "tv/movie" and can even use that to do our course on next year. 

I will have 7th, 4th & 1st  grades this year and they are all boys. I'm really looking to have all 3 in history and science together next year. 

• 1 year later...