Menu

Courses on Constitution and Apologetics

I am looking for my 11th grader next year.  I am looking into having him do a half credit course on the constitution and also a half credit course on apologetics.  He needs something that is engaging and interesting.  For example, he is completing the Dave Ramsey course for high schoolers and is always telling me interesting facts  about it.  I like the Sonlight Government course in some respects because I can grade it easily. I have also looked at the Apologia government course and even Hillsdale.  Hillsdale looks interesting in that it includes readings and quizzes (not the most rigorous I know).  I can also have him take multiple Hillsdale courses to get the full 1/2 credit.  I am looking at a pretty obvious conservative slant considering the places I'm looking.  

What about Apologetics?  

• Like 1

Hillsdale College has a free online constitution course.  I've not taken it or used it, but I recently spoke with a family who has used it.  They spoke well of the course.  Again, no first hand info, just a random conversation with someone who said they were glad they used it

For apologitics I am currently using the curriculum put out by Summit Ministries.  Last year we did Understanding the Faith and this year we are doing Understanding the Times.  It is a pretty flexible program.  I use it for a full year, but it can be made into a half credit course.

DD took a Graduation Prep course through her youth group.  Her youth pastor is big on making sure that students are ready when they leave for college.  It is what he wrote his doctoral dissertation about.  They spent time studying in the book Sticky Faith.  I wasn't a huge fan of it, because I felt it was a bit surface level, but it is an easy read.  DD also read Growing Up Christian, which she really liked which was part of her at home stuff we did.

For Government, we were using MFW, so it was included in their 11th grade curriculum.  They read through Never Before in History and Under God.

17 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

One of my dds just finished this and yes, the reading selections are amazing! If you want I can send you the syllabus I put together - movies, other readings, etc.

Could you please send it to me as well? Did you use this for government credit?