Menu

Best online site for prom dresses?

I can tell you what to avoid!  There are a lot of sites selling inexpensive dresses with "free returns and exchanges."  Figure out where the source is before ordering anything.  A lot of these are companies based outside of the US.  A friend of dd's bought several dresses from these types of companies with the plan to keep multiple dresses (she was attending several proms and other events).  While no one really needs "high quality" for a prom dress, every single one she ordered had some sort of major issue like see through material, rips, wrinkles that would never come out, or inaccurate sizing.  When she tried to return for "free," each company did the same thing....tried to negotiate a lower purchase price to avoid processing a "free" return.  It took her weeks to sort it all out and she never did recover all of her money.  Dd found a dress she was happy with from David's Bridal.  That was hassle free and economical but their designs are definitely not as cool as can be found elsewhere.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

eBay 🙂

so glad I only paid $80 for dd’s last year on eBay since she never got to wear it- thanks Covid.

I feel bad for the kids who were seniors last year - no prom, no graduation. I hope your dd can wear the dress to a future event. 

Right now our small school is talking about a Parking Lot Prom. It will be unique but has generated enough excitement to warrant looking for dresses. I just do not want to go traipsing through the mall to try on a thousand different dresses. So far there have been a few online that offer a mask to match the dress. Interesting times. 

5 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I feel bad for the kids who were seniors last year - no prom, no graduation. I hope your dd can wear the dress to a future event. 

Right now our small school is talking about a Parking Lot Prom. It will be unique but has generated enough excitement to warrant looking for dresses. I just do not want to go traipsing through the mall to try on a thousand different dresses. So far there have been a few online that offer a mask to match the dress. Interesting times. 

She was a junior last year (prom here is a junior year thing). So she’ll miss out on prom and graduation.

Her summer camp has a dance one night when all the counselors wear their old prom dresses so she can at least use it at that! (If they ever re open)

She’s hated public school since she started in 8th grade anyways but she did want to go to prom. Oh well

Edited by Hilltopmom

I can't answer your question, but if this helps you or anyone reading it's absolutely worth trying to do something for prom--and however it works out, make sure you get good quality photos. 

Last summer, my good friend and I hosted a backyard prom for our 2020 grads, who met when they were 5 and have stayed close despite going to different high schools. Both our girls were dating long term and bubbled with their boyfriends. 

They started with a photo shoot at a gorgeous lake near us. It was fun for parents to connect, masked & outdoors, and the photos of our seniors are crazy beautiful--they climbed a play structure they loved when they were kids, and in dresses and tuxedoes the photos are totally unique and amazing. The sun was shining on them and the photos are brilliant.

Are we ever as beautiful as we are at 18??? 

Then they went to my friend's house for dancing on the driveway to a playlist they made and a fancy takeout dinner from a local upscale restaurant, where they got to place their own orders. It was buggy here, so dinner was inside a screen shelter with 2 distanced tables. The 2 couples distanced from each other the whole time. 

My extrovert, to my amazement, said it was better than a regular prom because it was so personal, from the photos to the menu choices to the playlist. And she got to hang out with her dear friend who would not have been able to attend her high school's prom, if it had happened. 

If I had a grad not dating but connected with a peer group, I would do the same but shifting emphasis to the friend group, and maintaining distance but getting creative about photos.

The effort you're putting in is really worth it. Our young people are only 18 once. Celebrating where they are at this moment in history--even if it's not the typical prom--may mean the world to them, and to you as a parent. 

• Like 2

Poshmark (online) has a huge selection of gently used dresses.  I bought my dd a homecoming dress there for half the price it was in the store.  And it was new with tags. I think the person does not get paid until you have received and are okay with it (or if you don’t respond at all within a certain period of time).

• Thanks 1