Menu

Calculator recommendations for SPED

6Acorns

While we will continue to work of math facts memory, it is time to buy my 10 year old with dyscalculia a calculator so we can move forward on more advanced problem solving. Do you have suggestions of a specific model that will be dependable and not frustrating?

Thanks

Marcy in NC

My ds is really picky on the types of keys and the sizes of the keys. Can you go to Walmart and look at them? Honestly, I keep a LOT of calculators, rather than any one kind. So cheapies for when he throws them but nice ones with multiple lines for exploring concepts. There's a *fractions* calculator that I so, so wanted. I just didn't buy it, not sure why. But if I were buying only one, that's the one I'd buy. But I also like the $2 kind from the Back2School section at Walmart, lol. Walmart and Target used to have that fractions kind. You can see. Look for multiple lines. When they do that, they let them see the whole thing and stuff doesn't just disappear. And plasticky rather than soft buttons.

https://payhip.com/b/arHt  This is a link for the inexpensive download Multiplication Facts in 7 Days. I like this when paired with the visualization and number sense instruction of Ronit Bird in her Multiplication ebook. I guess you could say 7 days is more like 7 weeks for us, haha but still it has been tidy and helpful. Not a replacement for conceptual instruction, more just how to organize when it's time to get them done and memorized.

Fwiw, I used calculators a LONG TIME with dd. With her low processing speed, it just made sense to let her use one and not wear her brain out. 

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Elementary-Middle-Fraction-Calculator/dp/B007HJ3644  Here's the calculator I was admiring and just too cheap to buy, lol. It's in stock. I think it wasn't for a while. Don't know if you can see it in the store. Noncluttered keys, multi line display, plastic not soft buttons, and FRACTIONS!!!