Menu

Blood a pressure monitor recs?

Dd, 18, was recently diagnosed with POTS and EDS. The cardiologist said it would be helpful to have a BP monitor at home, especially as we’re figuring out what works best for her. She started a medicine today that treats low BP and she’s upped her water intake and is taking salt capsules, so I want something reliable to keep tabs on how she’s doing. 

What should I look for and/or specific suggestions. She’s tiny if that makes a difference.

Get an upper arm cuff, and make sure it is the right length. Sometimes you need to order a cuff separately from the machine. Amazon has longer cuffs.  (Wrist cuffs are harder to use accurately.)

Omron is the most recommended brand by doctors. They come in multiple price points, but the extra money just buys more features. I have the basic $30 one from WalMart/Amazon, and it has been very reliable for me. I checked it every day twice a day for two years, and it was very reliable and compared well with my doctors' office machines.  It saved my life twice when I had preeclampsia, no exaggeration. 

Make sure you sit quietly for a while before taking it, and sit like in the graphic here: https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/high-blood-pressure/high-blood-pressure-toolkit-resources

I volunteer for a nonprofit support group for survivors of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy, so proper BP taking is a big focus of ours. 

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

We have a Reli On that's probably around eight years old. I believe that's Walmart's knockoff version of Omron. At the time I bought it it was highly rated. It still seems to work fine. We have to watch DH's BP carefully because both of the cancer medications he's on cause astronomically high BP. Readings we get track very closely with what he gets at his oncologist's office.

• Like 1