Menu

Do you have an upholstered bed frame?

mommyoffive

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don’t because we have pets and they have to be vacuumed constantly to keep pet hair off them so they look clean. The wood one we have can be dusted in less than a minute with a swiffer duster. 

Oh good point I haven't thought of.  We have dogs, but they are not allowed upstairs and for sure don't sleep with us.  I wonder if it would still be an issue with the hair?

I love the look of upholstered headboards in pictures. But yuck. Over the years, how do you clean that? Even with no pets here, hair oil, fingerprints, etc. What about vomiting? I think I’m past the days of kids coming into my bed sick, but I don’t know about you. So, I understand how beautiful they are, but the practicality is a nonstarter imho. 

• Like 2

One of my daughters has an upholstered headboard, and it is slipcovered. It is much, much easier to slipcover a headboard than, say, a sofa, and cleaning it is a breeze. It is also easier to get a tailored look with a slipcovered headboard, so you don't have to go all beach cottage to get the slipcover to look intentional. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh good point I haven't thought of.  We have dogs, but they are not allowed upstairs and for sure don't sleep with us.  I wonder if it would still be an issue with the hair?

How much hair gets swept or vacuumed up from upstairs?  how much gets on your pant legs?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am going to be redoing our bedrooms and I am leaning towards upholstered bed frames.   I haven't ever had them.  Are there any negatives to them?  

Would you buy it again? 

Yes, we have one, Yes, we would buy again.  I can't really think of any negatives at the moment.  We don't have toddlers so no problems with young children vomiting in the bed and our cat isn't really allowed in our room so no pet hair issues.  She doesn't really shed anyway.  The headboard wipes clean easily. I suppose you could spray a protectant spray on it similar to what you might use on cloth dining chairs or shoes if you were concerned.  Ours has been fairly low maintenance with just an occasional wipe and vacuum.

• Like 2

We have an upholstered headboard, but not bed frame.  I like having a wooden bed frame because it's so easy to clean and wipe down.  I LOVE having an upholstered headboard!  So far after two years, it has stayed very clean -- even with a dog who sneaks up on the bed a lot.  (We purposely got a darker color though.)

For our guest room, we also got an upholstered headboard but we bought it separately.  That one would be really easy to swap out if we ever wanted to do that.  It was pretty inexpensive. 

• Like 1

My mom had wood covered by cloth, and she would change out the cloth after a few years. I think she stapled it on the back.

She was ready for new fabric by the time it might seem to be getting dirty.

Her bedroom does not get dusty.

My bedroom gets dusty and I don’t think it would work for us.  

In her bedroom, one time the cloth faded where it was under the sun, and it didn’t take that long.  It just faded enough that one part was noticeably a different color.  Not noticeable if it had faded evenly.  

• Like 1

We have a diy upholstered headboard. I used fake (but tasteful!) leather material, cushions, and batting from Hobby Lobby over a wooden frame. Directions found on the internet. It's easy to clean/wipe off and I LOVE being able to sit against it in bed and read. The headboard is actually attached to the wall, not to the bed itself.

Love the slipcover idea, too!