Menu

What after VideoText Algebra and Geometry?

My boys finished VideoText algebra in 9th and will be completing VideoText Geometry in May or June.  They are both pretty mathy and did/are doing well in these courses and on standardized testing (without a huge amount of effort).

If you did VideoText with your highschoolers, what did they take after they completed both courses?  We have 2 years left to plan.  I think one of my guys would do awesome with statistics and he is interested in it.  Otherwise, neither knows what they want to do when they grow up and the pandemic, and what may happen job wise down the road because of it, isn't helping things.  I had one kid that thought he might want to go into accounting.  I have an accounting degree.  Then he helped my DH do some spreadsheets and calculations for work (DH is an attorney dealing with acquisitions and mergers and tons of numbers), and he came up to me when he was done and said he was not doing that for the rest of his life -- LOL.  Sigh...

Even if your kids didn't do VideoText, any recommendations for math for 11th and 12 grade after completing Alg 2 and Geometry?  

P.S.  We are at the point where I should not be grading their math after Geometry -- if that makes a difference in your recommendations.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:00 AM, mlktwins said:

My boys finished VideoText algebra in 9th and will be completing VideoText Geometry in May or June.  They are both pretty mathy and did/are doing well in these courses and on standardized testing (without a huge amount of effort).

If you did VideoText with your highschoolers, what did they take after they completed both courses?  We have 2 years left to plan.  I think one of my guys would do awesome with statistics and he is interested in it.  Otherwise, neither knows what they want to do when they grow up and the pandemic, and what may happen job wise down the road because of it, isn't helping things.  I had one kid that thought he might want to go into accounting.  I have an accounting degree.  Then he helped my DH do some spreadsheets and calculations for work (DH is an attorney dealing with acquisitions and mergers and tons of numbers), and he came up to me when he was done and said he was not doing that for the rest of his life -- LOL.  Sigh...

Even if your kids didn't do VideoText, any recommendations for math for 11th and 12 grade after completing Alg 2 and Geometry?  

P.S.  We are at the point where I should not be grading their math after Geometry -- if that makes a difference in your recommendations.

Did they complete Module F (Unit VIII) of VT Geometry? As per VT, "**Unit VII is still in production for Geometry, but it is not needed to complete a Geometry credit. Unit VIII, Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus, is only available online and is activated automatically at this time with the purchase of the online course." If so, then...

My young man (in 11th) is currently doing Calculus I (with Chalk Dust and Larson, 9th Ed). Next year (in 12th), most likely Statistics.

If not, then... another option could be Chalkdust Precalculus, which I see someone is selling here in the classifieds: https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/classifieds/item/23929-chalkdust-precalculus-complete-set/  That's a good buy!

Edited by Mom21
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, Mom21 said:

My young man (in 11th) is currently doing Calculus I (with Chalk Dust and Larson, 9th Ed). Next year (in 12th), most likely Statistics.

@Mom21 So sorry I didn't respond to this sooner!  Thanks so much for your response.

So your son went right from VideoText to Calculus1?  Did you assign the credits for Trig/PreCalc that Mr. Clark recommends?

• 5 months later...