Menu

Air fryer yeah or nay?

Yeah,  if you already have an instant pot you can get a lid that turns it into an air fryer.  We have that thanks MIL.  We also have the instant pot brand air fryer with a basket.  

Edited by rebcoola

I'm loving mine. I did borrow my dad's first to make sure. We've cooked lots of stuff with it and it also gets an A+ for reheating things that usually aren't great in the microwave. 

I have the 8 quart Ninja Foodie with two baskets. 

My son got me this one for Christmas, and I love it: 

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3875105/ninja-air-fryer-max-xl.jsp?pfm=bdrecs-WebStore-PDP-pdpasty-b1218-299&bdrecsId=05ba073b-3947-4217-8665-c57596031d40

He got it on sale, so it was a lot cheaper. I've been addicted to roasted potatoes lately and they cook up so nicely in the air fryer. It reheats food well and quickly, too. (Leftover General Tso's chicken comes out great!!)I have been mostly using it with frozen snack type foods, potatoes, veggies, bbq chicken legs, etc. It's very easy to clean. I just bought a few cookbooks, so I'm hoping to expand what I cook in it. I kind of want the two basket one now, so I may have to start hinting for next year.😁

24 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Actually I am leaning in the direction of yeah and need recommendations. I’d like the snazzy Breville I’ve seen mentioned here, but can’t spend $300 just now. I’d like one that is fairly wide and easy to clean. 

Does your oven have a convect-broil button?  Air frying is just convection broiling.  I'd never even used that setting on my oven until Alton Brown taught me this. 😂 The benefit is that I can do a sheet pan full  of wings instead of just a few.  The drawback is preheat time.

I'm "air frying" stuff all the time now.  We have wings weekly now and it's the only way I roast trays of veggies these days.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

We have a Phillips.
I am not a kitchen gadget person at all, but I bought one after using one at my MIL's. I use it most days of the week. My only complaint is that I bought the smallest size, although truthfully for our family of three it’s just fine. 

26 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Does your oven have a convect-broil button?  Air frying is just convection broiling.  I'd never even used that setting on my oven until Alton Brown taught me this. 😂 The benefit is that I can do a sheet pan full  of wings instead of just a few.  The drawback is preheat time.

I'm "air frying" stuff all the time now.  We have wings weekly now and it's the only way I roast trays of veggies these days.

I Agree! I just use my oven to air fry and it works very well for larger quantities.

I asked for one for Christmas and got something called an Ultrean.  Don't ask me, has lots of positive reviews on Amazon.  I actually did not want something high end when I wasn't sure it was going to be for us. But its great for air fries alone. Clean, cut up, soak sliced potatoes and in 15-20 minutes perfect air fries, low oil, good crunch!  They take a good hour to bake when I do them in the oven.  When this one breaks someday I could see upgrading to something that could sit counter top with racks.  Our is HUGE to store.  

This one is very easy to clean so far and we have tried messy things like homemade blooming onions in ours.  I'm really excited about not having to heat up the oven for roasted veggies, etc in the summer.

Edited by FuzzyCatz

My best friend gave me one.  I probably would not have bought one, but we have used it a lot.  Dh has used it a lot.  I have loved fresh green beans, sweet potato fries, regular fries, chicken nuggets, home made taquitos, and probably more.  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I have loved fresh green beans 

Hadn't thought of that! do you just toss them with a bit of olive oil and seasoning? 

15 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Love that is so fast and does not heat up the house in the summer. 

Yes, not turning on the oven is a huge draw to those of us in hot climates. And I definitely prefer it over my convection oven for some things regardless. I really like just grabbing the basket and giving it a shake, much easier than opening the oven and flipping/turning things on a big pan and much less danger of burning myself. 

• Like 1

I have the Phillips and it does great potatoes and chicken wings.  I love not having the oven on in summer with it.  I’ve found it’s good for our family but a little too slow if I want to do a larger quantity for guests aside from a small entree serve 

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

My best friend gave me one.  I probably would not have bought one, but we have used it a lot.  Dh has used it a lot.  I have loved fresh green beans, sweet potato fries, regular fries, chicken nuggets, home made taquitos, and probably more.  

Home Made taquito sounds like something I need to know more about!

4 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Yeah,  if you already have an instant pot you can get a lid that turns it into an air fryer.  We have that thanks MIL.  We also have the instant pot brand air fryer with a basket.  

Slight digression... which one do you like better? I have an IP only because my brother gave it to me for Christmas last year. I haven't used it much, but I do like it when I use it.I have looked at the air fryer attachment but wasn't sure if I'd like to try that or just purchase a stand alone machine.

• Thanks 1

My dh picked up this device https://www.target.com/p/cuisinart-airfryer-toaster-oven-stainless-steel-toa-60tg/-/A-53760593#lnk=sametab  at Target in his Christmas shopping (for himself or wife, you guess), and it's really the BOMB. My ds eats a lot of frozen hashbrowns (the oval disk things) and they are AWESOME cooked in this. Upstairs in the main kitchen I have a Breville regular convection toaster oven and I've never gotten these kind of results. And FAST, FAST, FAST wow! Like 5 minutes fast. And that's not 5 minutes after it warms up, literally just 5 minutes. 

Cuisnart makes a version that has electronic controls, which might be nice. I tend to believe the reviews are true that this thing will burn itself up at some point. The heat is going to rise through the electronics, sigh. Seems like a dumb design. But for now, it seriously works. 

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/279015/air-fryer-chicken-taquitos/

this is the recipe we used.  They were yummy.  

Ooo, that sounds good! We were just saying tonight that it seems terrible (unhealthy, whatever) that the only things we put in there are par-fried commercial products. I hadn't even researched how to do food from scratch in it.

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

It does not. It is actually very old and fickle - we desperately need a kitchen reno but that won’t be in the budget for a few years. I had convection ovens in other houses and plan on that when we can get it. In the meantime, in the back of my mind I think about what cooking appliances I might want to have on hand in case the big oven goes kaput before we can renovate. Since most of the kids are grown and gone, I would not buy an interim oven replacement, I’d just use other appliances (plus grill). 

• Like 1

If you are the type that uses cooking appliances, sure. I got one as a present. It’s great, but I don’t see a need for using anything other than pots and pans. It’s just a matter of habit I guess, so my air fryer sits unused and takes up the very limited counter space. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

If you are the type that uses cooking appliances, sure. I got one as a present. It’s great, but I don’t see a need for using anything other than pots and pans. It’s just a matter of habit I guess, so my air fryer sits unused and takes up the very limited counter space. 

Oh yeah, so make us all look bad cuz you don't live on tater tots, french fries, and hot dogs every day. :biggrin:

• Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

My sister has all the gadgets, but I probably have way fewer than the average home cook. Partly because I don’t have a ton of storage space in my kitchen and partly because I just hate to have to wash all the little pieces parts. However as I mentioned upthread, in the near future I might have a need to rely on smaller appliances while waiting on a bigger kitchen redo. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Partly because I don’t have a ton of storage space in my kitchen  

I have a very small kitchen, but all that means is that my appliances are scattered around the house 😄

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Elfknitter.# said:

Slight digression... which one do you like better? I have an IP only because my brother gave it to me for Christmas last year. I haven't used it much, but I do like it when I use it.I have looked at the air fryer attachment but wasn't sure if I'd like to try that or just purchase a stand alone machine.

While an attachment sounds nice, it would limit you to cooking just with the one device.  I like to use both the instant pot and the air fryer for different foods served in the same meal., such as chicken in the IP and potato wedges in the air fryer.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, klmama said:

While an attachment sounds nice, it would limit you to cooking just with the one device.  I like to use both the instant pot and the air fryer for different foods served in the same meal., such as chicken in the IP and potato wedges in the air fryer.

And it's so bloody expensive that buying an entire air fryer is a no-brainer to me. It doesn't even save much space, because the lid is not the big part, lol. 

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

In the meantime, in the back of my mind I think about what cooking appliances I might want to have on hand in case the big oven goes kaput before we can renovate. 

Lol, we are in exactly this place--our oven has already had several repairs and is likely to quit before we can do a full kitchen reno, so I choose countertop appliances based on how well they might cover for the oven for a year or two.

I really love our Cuisinart convection toaster oven. It's huge and fits a frozen pizza on its own stone better than our actual oven, and does a decent job of air frying. Maybe not the appliance if air frying is all you're looking for, but I love the versatility of this appliance. We could totally get by with a hot plate, Cuisinart convection toaster oven, Instant Pot and outdoor grill.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Naaa, I come from low technology culture. 😂 Cooking appliances puzzle me. 

Well I feel bad that I've been buying new pots/pans for myself for Christmas and every day I use my instant pot instead of using them. :biggrin:

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Acadie said:

I really love our Cuisinart convection toaster oven. It's huge and fits a frozen pizza on its own stone better than our actual oven, and does a decent job of air frying. Maybe not the appliance if air frying is all you're looking for, but I love the versatility of this appliance. We could totally get by with a hot plate, Cuisinart convection toaster oven, Instant Pot and outdoor grill.

Yes, definitely! So this Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven thing *can* do all the rest. (regular, convection, etc.) I don't know what this thing does when you set it to air fry mode, but it's crazy. If I were buying one unit to do it all and wanted the air fryer feature, I would definitely get it saying it does air fryer as well, as it's noticeably stepped up from convection bake. I personally would not want a stand alone air fryer device, because that's a lot of counter space, makes no sense to me. 

Edited by PeterPan
10 hours ago, katilac said:

And it's so bloody expensive that buying an entire air fryer is a no-brainer to me. It doesn't even save much space, because the lid is not the big part, lol. 

Yes, I was surprised at the price of just the air fryer lid for IP. 

13 hours ago, klmama said:

I don't utilize my IP much as is, so that's not quite the concern for me. I could see using the air fryer but still using my regular stove for the same meal. If I was using my IP and wished to air fry for the same meal, I totally see how that's a problem.

I bought the Ninja Foodi Deluxe 8 quart version because my husband wasn’t willing to splurge that much for the Breville one. I mainly use the air fry and the bake function. 
Cleaning isn’t easy but not harder than using my oven. 
I haven’t use the dehydrator function yet though that was part of the reason why we picked that model.

I don’t know when my oven or 3 quart instant pot would kaput so this model is a good backup for me. 

17 hours ago, Elfknitter.# said:

It depends on what I'm make.  I think the basket is better for fries, nugget, veggies like cauliflower.  I like the IP better for meats.  They both work really well for all things though.  

They both work better than convection settings on our oven.  Not sure why more fans maybe?  

• Like 1