Menu

My parents are refusing to get vaccinated.

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

The vaccine protects the vaccinated person from severe illness, but as far as I know, it has still not been determined whether a vaccinated person can still spread the virus or not.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I found it so confusing when doctors would get on the news so relieved to get the vaccine because they could now go home to their families. I’m like ummmm wouldn’t you have to wait until your family is vaccinated to go home? I mean if that’s what you’ve been doing to protect them, why would you getting the vaccine help them? It really blurred the messaging. 

No matter what my or Moonhawks parents do, the only thing we can control is getting the vaccine for our own family members so if they were to be exposed, their symptoms are minimized. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Plum said:

I found it so confusing when doctors would get on the news so relieved to get the vaccine because they could now go home to their families. I’m like ummmm wouldn’t you have to wait until your family is vaccinated to go home? I mean if that’s what you’ve been doing to protect them, why would you getting the vaccine help them? It really blurred the messaging. 

My BIL who is a doctor in the UK completely isolated from his family as in use separate entrance, not even use the bathroom downstairs unless necessary, showering in the hospital, sleeping in the front room and not using the bedroom downstairs because it will mean he will pass the stairs which the rest of the family will use. He was restricted to two rooms in the house, one of which was a conservatory. SIL used to use the backdoor to get into the kitchen to cook. They never had contact, they would stand outside the conservatory to see him while he stayed inside. He was basically living away from them for all purposes though they shared a house.

A vaccine means he can be semi-isolate at home as in move more freely, shower at home, sleep in the downstairs bedroom. SIL does not have to walk outside in the cold to get to the kitchen.  He still does not go upstairs but he has played soccer and badminton with his kids outside, they have gone for drives together, they have occasionally eaten together. He still does home tests multiple times a week like he did before but he is not deathly afraid of bringing home the virus with no defense against it. The mental health of the entire family has improved as they get to have him back somewhat when he was a fully involved father and husband before the pandemic. Most of all, SIL and the entire family has stopped being afraid that he will die of the virus because he was exposed without any defense without the vaccine. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My BIL who is a doctor in the UK completely isolated from his family as in use separate entrance, not even use the bathroom downstairs unless necessary, showering in the hospital, sleeping in the front room and not using the bedroom downstairs because it will mean he will pass the stairs which the rest of the family will use. He was restricted to two rooms in the house, one of which was a conservatory. SIL used to use the backdoor to get into the kitchen to cook. They never had contact, they would stand outside the conservatory to see him while he stayed inside. He was basically living away from them for all purposes though they shared a house.

A vaccine means he can be semi-isolate at home as in move more freely, shower at home, sleep in the downstairs bedroom. SIL does not have to walk outside in the cold to get to the kitchen.  He still does not go upstairs but he has played soccer and badminton with his kids outside, they have gone for drives together, they have occasionally eaten together. He still does home tests multiple times a week like he did before but he is not deathly afraid of bringing home the virus with no defense against it. The mental health of the entire family has improved as they get to have him back somewhat when he was a fully involved father and husband before the pandemic. Most of all, SIL and the entire family has stopped being afraid that he will die of the virus because he was exposed without any defense without the vaccine. 

I'm glad for him and his family. It must be a relief. Unfortunately, all of that nuance was lost on the 1 minute news report. 😞

• Like 1
5 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

I've had two people tell me that the vaccine changes your DNA! 

I had that conversation with my mom ("my boss's friend who works in the medical field..."). Also saw a detailed and completely inaccurate description of this DNA replacement process on a friend's FB post. I kindly shared some Amoeba Sisters videos to explain the difference between mRNA and DNA polymerase.

13 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I had that conversation with my mom ("my boss's friend who works in the medical field..."). Also saw a detailed and completely inaccurate description of this DNA replacement process on a friend's FB post. I kindly shared some Amoeba Sisters videos to explain the difference between mRNA and DNA polymerase.

I could use this info! Getting the “it changes your DNA!” from some around here, too. 

eta found them easily on youtube

Edited by Seasider too
52 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Yes, same with my friend. I know many who have been living in campers in their driveway for months, who took up apartments with coworkers, or who have  been living in the basement (separate entrance) or the like. My friend cried daily because she missed her kids so badly but there was no way she was exposing them.

I know I'm late to the venting party but you are not alone. Not only has my step mom decided to not get the vaccine, which means neither will my father, they said they will pick up HCQ in Mexico because it is a safe and effective treatment. I haven't responded because really it is none of my business what grown ups choose to ingest but I might at least say something like, " hey, maybe just double check with Dad's heart doc about how that interacts with his heart meds." I know that arguing won't help but I feel like I need to say something. Last time dad was in the ICU for pnemonia and sepsis his heart rate often reached 200 bpm. This is when we discovered he had Afib issues even when not sick. Knowing HCQ increases these types of issues is bothersome to me. I realize it is probably safe for most people but... I wish they would get advice from their doctor not Trump-net. 😟

Edited by frogger
Spelling
  • Sad 2

My parents are resistant to being vaccinated because they feel that they can more easily shelter in place and want the first vaccines to go to essential workers.  And.....I get and appreciate that calculus, but they're not completely isolating.  They're seeing my sister and her family.  Both adults work outside of the home, my nephew is in public school in person, and the toddler twins are in day care.  They do some shopping.  My father has gone to church and to my nephew's baseball games.  They've even eaten inside a few times, although not recently because they're concerned about the new variants.  They're both over 70; my dad's over 75.  My mom has COPD and my dad has high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.  I'm trying to convince them that the distribution is just going to work better if everyone gets it when it's their turn and that if they forego the vaccine, it doesn't go to an essential worker.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Plum said:

Thanks. That’s what I thought. I found it so confusing when doctors would get on the news so relieved to get the vaccine because they could now go home to their families. I’m like ummmm wouldn’t you have to wait until your family is vaccinated to go home? I mean if that’s what you’ve been doing to protect them, why would you getting the vaccine help them? It really blurred the messaging. 

No matter what my or Moonhawks parents do, the only thing we can control is getting the vaccine for our own family members so if they were to be exposed, their symptoms are minimized. 

What I'm seeing from doctors in Israel, as well as from here in the US, is  it does likely significantly reduce transmission - that by lowering viral load even if you do get it there is less of it in your system for you to spread, and that many people, if not most, will have antibody levels high enough to prevent getting the virus at all which of course means not transmitting it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I strongly believe that anyone who has reached age of reason should have autonomy over their own body even if I think they are a lunatic for not getting Covid vaccine.  

If you do not want your children around unvaccinated adult relatives, I see no other option at this juncture than to have a brief honest discussion with your parents explaining why the kids can or can't visit and let the chips fall where they may.  Your parents need to respect your parenting decisions regardless of whether they agree with them.

However, I always wonder ..... how far would one take that?  Do people routinely ask neighbors, friends, relatives and acquaintances about their vaccine history before allowing children around them?  Reason I ask is that in my entire mothering life,  I have had exactly one mother ask if my children were up to date on vaccinations, and this was in absence of a pandemic. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, annandatje said:

However, I always wonder ..... how far would one take that?  Do people routinely ask neighbors, friends, relatives and acquaintances about their vaccine history before allowing children around them?  Reason I ask is that in my entire mothering life,  I have had exactly one mother ask if my children were up to date on vaccinations, and this was in absence of a pandemic. 

I don't plan to interrogate people on their vaccine history, but if I know that someone is opting out of the vaccine, I will be opting out of socializing with them for the time being.  Maybe that stance will change in the future when I have new data that says unvaccinated people are safe to hang out with. Right now, I don't have that kind of data, so if someone is loud and proud about not vaccinating? Sorry, but we can't see you. 

• Confused 1