Menu

MP Form Latin - how far did you go?

Trilliumlady

DD is in Second Form Latin this year in 7th.  She’s doing fine, but I’m wondering how far past this point it is truly “important” to continue.  I don’t plan on having her complete any Latin Exams in her future.  The purpose behind her studying Latin has been for the vocabulary support for future coursework and mental processes that will make future language learning more smooth.  She does it uncomplainingly, but doesn’t LOVE it.  She is interested in learning other languages I believe.  

At what point do I consider moving from the Form series to a modern language?  What would be the purpose of continuing into Third Form? I’m just not sure where to go from this point, and when to start moving more to modern languages.  Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:28 PM, Trilliumlady said:

DD is in Second Form Latin this year in 7th.  She’s doing fine, but I’m wondering how far past this point it is truly “important” to continue.  I don’t plan on having her complete any Latin Exams in her future.  The purpose behind her studying Latin has been for the vocabulary support for future coursework and mental processes that will make future language learning more smooth.  She does it uncomplainingly, but doesn’t LOVE it.  She is interested in learning other languages I believe.  

At what point do I consider moving from the Form series to a modern language?  What would be the purpose of continuing into Third Form? I’m just not sure where to go from this point, and when to start moving more to modern languages.  Any thoughts?

Just wanted to say I’m in the same boat. My 7th grade son will probably finish SFL this year. He doesn’t want to continue Latin, and I’ve heard that TFL is a beast. Do I want to take that on AND spend the $, especially when he’s headed to public high school? Idk. But on the other hand, what a blessing or could be to get one more year of Latin in-and might it be super beneficial all around? I just don’t know. 

12 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

Just wanted to say I’m in the same boat. My 7th grade son will probably finish SFL this year. He doesn’t want to continue Latin, and I’ve heard that TFL is a beast. Do I want to take that on AND spend the $, especially when he’s headed to public high school? Idk. But on the other hand, what a blessing or could be to get one more year of Latin in-and might it be super beneficial all around? I just don’t know. 

So, FWIW, I decided against TFL.  I’d not heard that it was a beast, but I was suspicious that that might be the case.  DD is doing adequately in SFL, but I’m afraid pushing into TFL without my ability to greatly guide her might be problematic.  So, instead, I forked out more (ugh) money and decided to do CLRC HS Latin 1 with Anne Fossen (or something close to that) based on recommendations above.  I think the change in text and focus, as well as having two x week classes with a live instructor will be good for her.  Here’s hoping....

I've been using printed books (most recently Ecce Romani) with my daughter (Year 9) and a bit of Rosetta Stone (fairly useless educationally, but a computer screen is somewhat engaging).  It is a struggle to keep her interested.  I would be delighted to know what other on-line options are out there. 

Yes, Third Form is very intense.  I have only had one student ever that was able to really self teach it.  I have taught it in co-ops and to my own kids for a few years.   It is much more than an introductory look at Latin like the First and Second Forms.  The plus is they will greatly understand English and grammar after doing it, and hopefully that applies to other languages after.