Menu

8th grade planning thread 2021-2022

So we don't know whether DS will homeschool for high school or whether he will get into a particular high school that looks interesting (admission is by lottery the March before) and attend it (long commute; we'll have to see if it seems worthwhile)--I have to kind of plan 8th to work either way.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

math - Jacobs' Elementary Algebra

science - Conceptual Chemistry

history (1830-1991) - Human Odyssey (last section of book 2 and all of book 3)

English - continue The Writing Revolution stuff using Sentences, Paragraphs and Beyond and other stuff I have on hand; more Analytical Grammar (I don't love it); assorted literature aligned with history

Spanish - continue limping through Paso a Paso

FDIC.gov financial literacy program

Ellen McHenry's Brain

drums (continuing); composer of the week aligned with history

track if group things are safe/running by spring

How about at your house?

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 2

• 73349 changed the title to 8th grade planning thread 2021-2022

Twin boys- still very much a work in progress

Saxon Algebra 1

English- Word Roots 2, Saxon Grammar and Writing 

Modern American History- Joy Hakim, various other resources im still gathering 

Science??????

Robotics, hopefully Co-op!  

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 2

My soon to be 8th grade dd is the baby of the family. Two older sibs out of college and the other one will be off to college in the fall. So, while she has always been somewhat on her own, she really will be the only child left at home. We are planning for her to attend a classical cottage school two days a week that teaches everything except math. 

So I am not planning anything except choosing an outsourced math class. She would like to take French so we will add that if we find a class that will work with the schedule. 

I’ve given over more and more of her schooling every year to outsourced classes which she has really enjoyed and done well with. So it don’t feel much like I am homeschooling. 

I’m really hoping this cottage school works out for her and she can do that for high school. I know I can provide academics for her at home but we feel very isolated and I can’t see getting her through high school without some social outlet. We’ve been trying but we aren’t a good fit in the homeschool community, our church is very small, and she just doesn’t click with the few kids she does know. 

• Like 2

I’m not ready to admit that my oldest is going into 8th, but here we go I guess.

Here’s the current plan:

History/Bible/Science/Nature Study/Etc...: Heart of Dakota Missions to Modern Marvels (she is actually getting a jump start on this now)

Writing: Cover Story

Grammar: IEW Fix it Book 2

Literature: Heart of Dakota DITHOR w/ their level 7/8 book list.

Math: Principles of Mathematics Book 2 (possibly over 1 semester-she’ll likely go into Jacob’s Algebra after that unless we do something like Videotext)

Thankfully, HOD is working well for her. Having everything laid out for her to grab on her own seems to work so well. Plus, the read alouds from this guide are amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have most of 8th figured out because we are mostly moving up a level in our current choices.

Math: Singapore Dimensions 8

LA: Writing with Skill 2, Rod and Staff 8

Vocab: Not sure yet, Vocab from Classical Roots was a flop this year, open to options??

History/Literature: Tapestry of Grace Year 4 Dialectic

Science: Novare Earth Science

Latin: MP Third Form

Logic: Open to options here too??  Thinking maybe MP Traditional Logic, maybe saving that for high school. He's done Fallacy Detective and Art of Argument

Co-op: Assuming covid is mostly in the past, we will co-op again next year.  He will take art, gym, and participate in the play plus anything else that looks interesting to him.  A creative writing class could be fun.  

• Like 2

This is what I've got so far... Most of this will be done together with his 7th grade brother, with 10th grader joining for some.

Math - second half of Saxon 8/7, then Saxon Algebra 1/2

Science - Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage

Language Arts -

• Spelling - Spelling Wisdom 3, Vocab from Classical Roots A
  • Grammar - Using Language Well 3, finish Fix It! 2
  • Writing - Writing with Skill 1, The Creative Writer, Writing & Rhetoric?, Canadian Handwriting G
  • Logic - Fallacy Detective?
  • LLtLotR & Twelfth Night
  • Reading list based on history & Canadian history

History - History Odyssey Middle Ages Level 2, with Human Odyssey Vol. 2 and/or OUP

Canadian History/Government - Modern History Through Canadian Eyes, Headphone History, etc.

Canadian Geography - Headphone History HS Geo, Draw Canada & Greenland

French - French for Children Primer B, DuoLingo...

Extras -

• Piano. We were given a great keyboard, and since our piano is still a work-in-progress, I'll have them learn on the keyboard for now. He's a beginner, and we'll start with music theory, but I'm still looking for what we'll be using.
  • Fine Arts - Masterpiece Society Drawing 101, & some Medieval & Renaissance artists on the side
  • Typing
  • Some sort of emergency preparedness unit. Natural disasters, fire drills... a youth version of wilderness safety/survival (?) for bears mostly.
  • Possibly a local babysitting first aid course.
Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 2

This is my fourth 8th grader and I think I've finally got things I like and that work.

Video Text Algebra

Reading list to go with history (includes 2 lit guides)

Figuratively Speaking 1/week

AG season 3 then finish SICC-B (we do either grammar or composition, not both at the same time)

VCR Book A 1/week

Apologia Physical Science with a science fair type project

Piano lessons weekly

Artistic Pursuits middle school book on her own 1/week

PE - 1/week at the local private school

Art of Argument

Victus Study Skills followed by Great Courses How to Be a Superstar Student

Career exploration

Codemaven followed by Codecademy

Getting Started with Spanish

Trail Guide to US History

History of Us concise edition books C&D (post Reconstruction to present)

Weekly speech and debate club (in the fall) and drama troupe (in the winter and spring) - this was radically different this year, but I'm crossing my fingers it will go back to almost normal this coming year

• Like 2

CLE Algebra

Conceptual Physics (Hewitt), science biographies (Kepler, Newton, Einstein), A Briefer History of Time

Literature (King Arthur, Watership Down, Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare, poetry)

Middle Ages History using Ambleside Online Year 7 Lite

Easy Grammar, writing will mainly consist of daily written narrations with occasional assigned short essay topics

Mapping the World with Art (I think, but I haven't actually bought this yet.  He loves Ellen McHenry's science books so I think this might be an enjoyable way to cover geography for a kid who doesn't especially like geography)

Whatever Happened to Justice?

Logic- maybe?  We've done Fallacy Detective so maybe The Thinking Toolbox, thinking I'll save Art of Argument for 9th grade but still unsure

Coding using a variety of sources

Tae Kwon Do

Community Bible Study

• Like 3

I've made more decisions:

CLE Math 8

Chemistry for the Logic Stage - Elemental Science

Build Your Library 6 - American History 2

Language Arts - Mosdos Gold - I'm excited about this! I've always wanted to try it, but the price is too much for me. I found a great deal on a used set!!!

Latin/Greek roots from TpT https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Sketch-Notes-Book-1-3273969

Spanish - she's currently using Duolingo, we'll switch to something more thorough at some point

Horseback Riding lessons

Devotion book

TGTB Typing (if she hasn't finished it by then)

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 2:01 PM, Momto6inIN said:

This is my fourth 8th grader and I think I've finally got things I like and that work.

Video Text Algebra

Reading list to go with history (includes 2 lit guides)

Figuratively Speaking 1/week

AG season 3 then finish SICC-B (we do either grammar or composition, not both at the same time)

VCR Book A 1/week

Apologia Physical Science with a science fair type project

Piano lessons weekly

Artistic Pursuits middle school book on her own 1/week

PE - 1/week at the local private school

Art of Argument

Victus Study Skills followed by Great Courses How to Be a Superstar Student

Career exploration

Codemaven followed by Codecademy

Trail Guide to US History

History of Us concise edition books C&D (post Reconstruction to present)

Weekly speech and debate club (in the fall) and drama troupe (in the winter and spring) - this was radically different this year, but I'm crossing my fingers it will go back to almost normal this coming year

Is this the Figuratively Speaking book you are using?  I'm looking to bulk up TOG literature studies a bit.  I'd like a simple book that introduces some literary terms before the big jump up in skills of Rhetoric stage. 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/028214/Figuratively-Speaking-Using-Classic-Lit-Tch.html?

3 minutes ago, dsbrack said:

Is this the Figuratively Speaking book you are using?  I'm looking to bulk up TOG literature studies a bit.  I'd like a simple book that introduces some literary terms before the big jump up in skills of Rhetoric stage. 

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/028214/Figuratively-Speaking-Using-Classic-Lit-Tch.html?

Yes, that's the one!

I use it as is, but I know many people who make a complete literature course out of it by reading all the books and short stories and poems it references as they go through it.

• Like 1

A boy and a girl.  Trying for a bit more hands off and a bit more relaxed because a new baby is due in July 😬👶, while still prepping for high school next year. Maybe an impossible balance.

Math- Mr D Pre-Algebra for DD, Jacobs Geometry for DS

Writing- Writing and Rhetoric 8 along with written narrations and copywork

Reading- Early Modern focus-  Swift/ Dumas/ Austin

History- Early Modern focus- Churchill's History along with famous speeches and interest-led biographies (Lewis and Clark for DS for sure).

Science- Astronomy with Signs and Seasons and Great Astronomers 

Latin- Latin for Children C with Lingua Latina

Piano lessons for DD, guitar for DS

Online Coding Class via Mytek for DS

Plutarch/Shakespeare/poetry/bible/saints/nature study riches 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My plans are still VERY rough, but here is what I have so far:

1) Math:  Geometry with Derek Owens:  https://derekowens.com

2) Composition:   IEW Level 2 with Mrs. Kimbrell. (FANTASTIC online class btw!):  https://writingwithjennifer.com

3) Literature:  Memoria Press 8th Grade Lit Set (Wind in the Willows, Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, As You Like It plus poetry and short stories at home but supplemented w/ Online Parent Moderator led student discussion group via https://www.vitabeata.org

4) Foreign Language:  Honors French I via TPS. (not enrolled yet, my backup plan is Third Form Latin with MPOA). https://at-tps.org

5) Science:  Clover Creek Physics:  http://www.clovercreekscience.com

6) Social Studies:  WTMA Story of the World IV class (I'm waitlisted):  https://www.wtmacademy.com/course/story-of-the-modern-age/  -or- Memoria Press Famous Men of Greece at home but supplemented with Online Parent Moderator led student discussion group via https://www.vitabeata.org

7) Bible Literacy via MPOA:  https://www.memoriapressacademy.com/bible-literacy/

Extracurriculars:  Varsity Speech, Youth Group, Scripture Reader at Church, Mountain Biking, Girl's Basketball at the Rec Center, Rock Wall Climbing (all dependent on things reopening with covid)

----

As you can see, we are having to outsource quite a bit this year.  Life has been CRAZY this year because we have been dealing with cancer in our family.   I have had to pull in lots of outside help.   I am not too worried because my DD is a fast worker and used to the online class format.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, SilverMoon said:

I have one of these too. 🙈 

I know she'll do Build Your Library level 7, using the extra books list to fill it up. (She's doing 8 this year. 😄) This will cover geography, literature, poetry, and art. We're skipping the chemistry. 

Writing With Skill level 2

Algebra 1 with Crocodiles & Coconuts and Chuckles the Rocket Dog

Science...? 

Latin... same

Getting more solid...

Build Your Library level 7 Exploring Your World, for geography/cultures, literature, world religions, poetry, and art (skipping only the science)

a little homegrown literature to pad BYL for this book dragon, slowly going through one of the Thomas C. Foster "like a professor" books

Writing With Skill 2

Math: Crocodiles and Coconuts and Chuckles the Rocket Dog (alg 1) (she might start this early though... she LOVED Jousting Armadillos and hasn't been content with non-Linus math since)

Science, subject to change: homegrown Zoology, based on a high school textbook (just as a spine, not working straight through), and extra books, not looking ANYTHING like baby brother's zoology course, but of course going with brother to the local zoo, aquarium, etc regularly

Galore Park's Latin for Common Entrance

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, AsgardCA said:

This is what I've got so far... All of these will be done together with his (7th grade) brother and probably the 9th grader too.

Language Arts - LLtLotR, Fix It 3?, Vocab from Classical Roots, Canadian Handwriting, Shakespeare play, something for spelling....

History Odyssey Middle Ages Level 2

Canadian History / Government

Canadian Geography

French - 

Math - Saxon Algebra 1

Science - Elemental Science Biology for the Logic Stage

LLtLotR  -- What does this one stand for again?   I know I've seen it but I can't remember.  

• Like 1

Boy/girl twins. 

Math: finish Forester's Algebra 1. We're starting 8th grade about halfway through. I don't know if we'll start geometry after Christmas next year or do some one-semester filler class to put us on track to start 9th grade with geometry. I'm not worrying about that until mid-fall. 

ELA: Brave Writer Boomerangs, The Writing Revolution to write across the curriculum. Easy Grammar, MCT vocabulary of literature. 

Big History Project plus additional science & history reading (TBD, list making in progress) for both history and science (non-lab). The writing projects from BHP will be a big part of our ELA, too. 

Foreign language: ASL for her, Spanish for him. Looking at live online classes, still deciding which ones. 

Various other things including theater for her, taekwondo for him, music lessons (piano for both, also guitar for her), scouts for him, etc.

Edited by craftyerin
updates as I change my mind
  • Like 2

My oldest will be in 8th grade next year. 

Math: WTMA AoPS Precalculus class

Science: Online G3 non-traditional physics and astronomy classes.

History (combined with DS#2 & DS#3):   The Medieval & Early Modern World (Oxford University Press) as a spine plus a half-dozen History Unboxed crates, a coordinating middle-grades literature list, and maybe-possibly-probably the History Quest Middle Times narrative. Writing Revolution style assignments worked in.  

English Language Arts: MCT 5 Lens I level with the lit trilogy, Fix It 4, Online G3 Essay Essentials and Shakespeare Tragedies & Sonnets classes.

Other:
  • Athena's Teen Goal-Setting class
  • Digital art and graphic design using Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Physical fitness training w/ Dad
  • Family art crate from Outside the Box Creations
  • Poetry Teatimes BW style

• Like 1

I think this is the latest I've ever been in deciding what to use for next year! Even though we could just reuse what my older daughter did in 8th grade, I decided to branch out and try some new stuff next year.

Grammar - Analytical Grammar, Season 3

Spelling - Rod & Staff, Grade 8

Vocabulary - Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Level C

Writing - IEW SSS 2-B

Math - CLE 8

Science - Apologia Physical Science

History - Sonlight Core 100

Extras: Homeschool choir and private piano/voice lessons. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been years since I have posted on the forums! My last child is going to be in 8th grade starting June 1st. He will be the only one still homeschooling as my oldest graduates this year and the middle is at private school.

He will be doing:

Math: Algebra 1 with a private tutor Maybe Jacobs? Maybe AoPS? I am still deciding if I think he can handle the AoPS

History: I have basically created a shelf of books that go from Ancient to Modern History. I expect him to start with Ancient and then just read through at his own pace finishing by 11th but possibly as early as 10th. After that he will dual enroll

Literature: I am mixing this in with his history. This year he will do Progeny Press Literature guides, but that will likely change as he gets older

Writing: This is the one thing I am not sure about. He asked to do Cover Story. I am going to have to work on making it more rigorous, but I want him to be excited about writing, and this program has potential for that. I will have him do Easy Grammar as a grammar review. He doesn't really need a full on grammar program at this point.

Science: Novare Physical Science. Because of how his year falls, he will probably also make a start on Earth Science. 

Electives:

Robotics with EV3. My brother is zooming this class with him

Spanish with a private tutor

Logic. I already owned the Jason Lisle one and its pretty basic, but does the job. I am back and forth about even messing with it this year, but I think we will try and see how it goes

Over all I am pretty happy with this and even happier to be on the homestretch of homeschooling! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have very little planned for my rising 8th grader. We need to start our engines to prep for high school. Eeek!

Math: We were using BJU for the last few years, but she's been behind. I have been having her work through the "Key to" booklets. Considering something new for next year.

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Writing: Write by Number and Writing with Ease

Literature: Not sure yet. I want to really crank it up next year.

Vocabulary: considering Vocabulary/Spelling City and Rummy Roots; I don't think this kid wants to do Latin.

History: We've been using Notgrass U.S. History. I will probably give it one more year before we launch back into the four-year world history cycle in 9th grade.

Geography: Seterra.com -- a keeper

Science: The Elements by Ellen McHenry -- another keeper

Foreign Language: Spanish 1... somewhere...

Logic: The Art of Argument (used it with my oldest) and Canon Press's fallacy book (I saw the flash cards at convention and they sucked me in, LOL)

::wanders off muttering, "Don't panic, don't panic"::

8th grade plans for 2021-22:

Jacob's algebra

Self-paced Dive Science Integrated Chemistry/Physics.  I'm trying very hard to drum up a group of kids who want to meet at my house for labs. 

TOG Yr 2 for history (with brother)

Creative Writing with Blue Tent.  She really wanted to do this.  I hope it's worth the money.  Any reviews?

Literature class with another hs mom - moves way too fast and my kid ends up having to use audio books and not doing a lot of the assignments.  This year, it has become more like a book club/social time, but dd is extremely extroverted and wants to continue.

Art of Argument - we'll take the whole year to slowly go through the book and add in expository writing assignments.

ASL with a local co-op. Low key, low demand, high interest, lots of fun.

I'm lobbying for a foreign language, but she's not cooperative.  I'm not sure if it's worth it this year.  I'd also love to do Mapping the World with Art.  I've always wanted to, and this will probably be my last chance. 

On 4/22/2021 at 1:00 AM, SillyOldMom said:

Kepler Education has Foraging 101- Identifying and Harvesting Wild Plants for Food (and Medicine).

The instructor has a lot of wilderness survival experience.

Thank you, I'll check it out!

I was just going to adjust a course my husband took as he still has the textbook, but if this saves me the work then great!

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting another planning thread to add mine. 😏

My rising 8th grader is a little behind what my older boys were, so I'm leaving a lot of "the usuals" for Grade 9. However, he may surprise me during the year, in which case, we'll speed up. That being said:

Math - Key to Percents (after that we'll do a bunch of placement tests and see where he's at, might start MUS pre-algebra by the end of the year)

English - Daily Grams 7, R&S Spelling 7, narrations, outlines and rewrites

Science - he really wants to do Apologia Botany, after that I'll probably have him do at least part of Apologia General Science

History - finish Middle Ages with R&S text, then start SOTW 3

Logic - various puzzles, Perplexors, etc.

• Like 2