Menu

Update first post

Scarlett

Update 5:30. They found her.  Alive and ok. She thought the thug still had her car.  He also took off with her phone.  She called the police around the time of that last text to her dad to tell them he had taken off in her car and her phone was in the car.  But didn’t want to press charges.  So the police went to the two hotels closet to where that call was made ( at a gas station) and we think they found her.  When my sister was waiting for the call from police who were looking for her, niece called her sister.  She said she was with friends.  

Thanks for seeing me through this.  Y’all are great.  

Please, I just have to post.  My very troubled niece is missing.  She is 19 and very troubled.  We believe she has been dancing and whatever comes with that. She is living with her dad who provides her with a car. She recently took her tracker off her car....but she had dinner with her dad last night and he was able to put another tracker on without her knowing.  At 1:00 a.m this morning she texted him and asked for money to ‘get home.’.   He was asleep and did not see the text.   At 2:00 am he woke up to a text from a random number which was a picture of his daughter naked. I am unclear of what all has happened throughout the day.  My sister is hysterical and I can’t get much out of her.  But no one has heard from my niece since that 1 am text.  They tracked her car and found her at an apartment in the city and then it went to a mall from like 6 to 7 this evening.......and then back to apartments....police found it and her plates had been changed.  

That is not good right?. I am out of my mind with fear.  I cannot even imagine what my sister is going through.  My niece is about 5 feet and maybe 100 pounds.  Please tell me this could be nothing.  I am so scared.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Sad 49

6 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

Dancing and whatever comes with that?  I don't think I understand.

And the fact that adults are putting trackers on other adult’s cars is blowing my freaking mind.

I pray she is safe but I don’t understand that level of control.

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 3

Just now, Joker2 said:

And the fact that adults are putting trackers on other adult’s cars is blowing my freaking mind. 

It isn’t her  car.  It is her dads.  And that is really the part that is blowing your mind right now? The fact that he did that is all that is leading cops to where she might be right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

It isn’t her  car.  It is her dads.  And that is really the part that is blowing your mind right now? The fact that he did that is all that is leading cops to where she might be right now.

Honestly, if my 19 year old were that troubled I wouldn't be letting her take my car?

I'm sorry that your niece is not making good decisions for herself.  My nephew doesn't either.  But they are legally adults, and they need to be allowed to make and learn from the consequences of their own bad decisions without enabling and getting in the middle of their drama.

Best wishes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I pray she is safe but I don’t understand that level of control.

Wait.....you would not be concerned if your daughter asked you for money to get home at 1 a.m, someone sent you a naked picture of her at 2 a.m....and you had not heard from her since...and her plates had been switched out? 

• Like 3

Just now, Amy in NH said:

Honestly, if my 19 year old were that troubled I wouldn't be letting her take my car?

I'm sorry that your niece is not making good decisions for herself.  My nephew doesn't either.  But they are legally adults, and they need to be allowed to make and learn from the consequences of their own bad decisions without enabling and getting in the middle of their drama.

Best wishes.

????  Well I wouldn’t either.  Nor my sister.  But her dad did. Regardless, she now seems to be In trouble and could very well be dead.so comments about how the parents are at fault for ‘getting involved in her drama’ is really not helpful.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Wait.....you would not be concerned if your daughter asked you for money to get home at 1 a.m, someone sent you a naked picture of her at 2 a.m....and you had not heard from her since...and her plates had been switched out? 

Asking for money "to get home" and sending the naked picture sound like someone is partying hard.

Someone partying that hard is not likely to come home until they've sobered up.  It could take, at the least, multiple days for a party like that to end.

Plates would be switched out to avoid having the car, which has been reported stolen of course, from being found - because they want to keep it for the duration of the party.

Sounds like your niece needs some tough love.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

Asking for money "to get home" and sending the naked picture sound like someone is partying hard.

Someone partying that hard is not likely to come home until they've sobered up.  It could take, at the least, multiple days for a party like that to end.

Plates would be switched out to avoid having the car, which has been reported stolen of course, from being found - because they want to keep it for the duration of the party.

Sounds like your niece needs some tough love.

The car had not been reported stolen.   

Just now, Scarlett said:

The car had not been reported stolen.   

They would not have known that.  Knowing they were running off with the car without consent, which is theft by unauthorized taking, they would assume it would be reported stolen, and changed the plates to avoid detection.

I'll be thinking of you and your family. It's hard and very scary when our young adult children make decisions that are unwise and dangerous. And there's probably a lot to the story that you aren't sharing. I get it. No stones thrown your way from me.

I have a 100 lb 19 year old daughter and I couldn't shrug about her making poor decisions and nonchalantly tsk tsk about her having to suffer the consequences.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Amy in NH said:

They would not have known that.  Knowing they were running off with the car without consent, which is theft by unauthorized taking, they would assume it would be reported stolen, and changed the plates to avoid detection.

Why would you think they thought they were running off with the car without consent? Why is that your first thought rather than a 19 year old is in trouble?

45 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I'll be thinking of you and your family. It's hard and very scary when our young adult children make decisions that are unwise and dangerous. And there's probably a lot to the story that you aren't sharing. I get it. No stones thrown your way from me.

I have a 100 lb 19 year old daughter and I couldn't shrug about her making poor decisions and nonchalantly tsk tsk about her having to suffer the consequences.

Right? Thank you. Her dad told my sister....well, we have been warning her about this stuff!’  Yes you have! Doesn’t change that our girl might be inside a house full of traffickers “

Edited by Scarlett

I’m so sorry. You’re not overreacting- sounds like she’s in a scary situation. 
As far as calling it stripping instead of dancing, I can see where saying that word is difficult. But I’ll admit at first that I thought you really might just have meant regular dancing at a club. I thought maybe your faith was against dancing.

I also get parents who do things like put trackers on the cars. When adult kids are still dependent on parents but making Big Mistakes, it’s hard to know how to help them. Sometimes tough love drives them away and makes them more likely to get deeper into the dangerous behavior. Other times tough love works. ya just don’t know.  

I hope they locate her soon. praying for a good outcome.

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I just can't believe people are picking at Scarlett right now. 😞 Not the time. 

Ditto this. As I skimmed the thread, those posts really stuck out. And they are NAGL.  I am glad I don't usually see posts like that here on the Hive. OP, I am sorry some have responded in not nice ways.
I will keep her/your family in my prayers. Keep us updated, as you can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

I will pray as well; it is scary. I remember when my daughter was 18 and went with some friends (that I knew) for a birthday dinner. After I hadn't heard from her a while, I started making calls, and by 1am was posting on FB to know if anyone knew where she was. So I get it. Is there social media that she frequents, to get the word out that people are worried? Maybe someone has seen her and can drop a message through that medium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I will pray as well; it is scary. I remember when my daughter was 18 and went with some friends (that I knew) for a birthday dinner. After I hadn't heard from her a while, I started making calls, and by 1am was posting on FB to know if anyone knew where she was. So I get it. Is there social media that she frequents, to get the word out that people are worried? Maybe someone has seen her and can drop a message through that medium.

Her sister is on SM and there is zero activity on the missing girls page.  

• Sad 3

Just now, Selkie said:

Are the police able to find out who the phone number belongs to - the one that texted the photo?

I don’t know., does that require a warrant?   

The police offered to tow the vehicle, but her dad declined....he prefers the car stay put at this complex praying she is inside and will come out and get in her car soon.  He and his younger daughter are waiting outside in a friends car praying she comes out.  

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Her sister is on SM and there is zero activity on the missing girls page.  

I understand the fear. If it's FB, drop a basic message, like, "Hey, I missed your call. Call me back!" directly on the girl's page. Or whatever sounds natural for the sister (or dad, or whoever). Sometimes people ("friends") respond or make comments that might be helpful. 

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t know., does that require a warrant?   

The police offered to tow the vehicle, but her dad declined....he prefers the car stay put at this complex praying she is inside and will come out and get in her car soon.  He and his younger daughter are waiting outside in a friends car praying she comes out.  

It doesn't take a warrant because it was sent to the dad's phone. They can trace the number from his phone, or the phone records. I don't remember how they do it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1