Menu

Barack Hussein Obama/Iraq-Hussein-Osama?

Do you think it is strange that this man's name is so similiar? Yes, his middle name is really Hussein!

Terri in WA

Why would it be strange that a man whose father's last name was Obama would have that same last name? And Hussein is a rather common name of Middle Eastern origin. Sorta like Smith, or Herbert, or Walker, or Jefferson are typical names of those whose fathers have several generations of European behind them.

Have you been reading forwarded emails? :)

I know. And the whole thing with the "flaming sword"? Why not a smokin' nine mil like a normal American?

It's all very suspicious. I'm going to institute a background check on myself immediately. :eek:

I always thought myself more observant.

At least you're aware that your name has two syllables. That should bode well for you with the background check.

Do you think it is strange that this man's name is so similiar? Yes, his middle name is really Hussein!

Terri in WA

Why is it strange? His father is African, and "Hussein" is a very common middle eastern name. He's in his forties--- he's had that name a long time.

It's only very recently that we've come to associate it with anything nefarious.

Terri in WA

Insert dry laughter here. Hussein is an enormously famous and historically important name for Muslims and Obama's biological father was indeed Muslim. It means "the little beautiful one"... Isn't it already enough that kids with the also beautiful meaning name of Osama are being teased and bullied in schools...

It is true that his dad is Muslim and also that Barack attended a Muslim school when he was younger. Currently, the church he attends (UCC) in Chicago has links to Louis Farrakhan (Nation of Islam leader). I think the importance of his name is how he is perceived by foreign Islamic heads of state. Some may look at him as an infidel since he was born to a muslim father but then at some point rejected islam and "embraced" christianity. Will that be more trouble for our country? :confused:

Why is his name a problem?

It is true that his dad is Muslim and also that Barack attended a Muslim school when he was younger. Currently, the church he attends (UCC) in Chicago has links to Louis Farrakhan (Nation of Islam leader). I think the importance of his name is how he is perceived by foreign Islamic heads of state. Some may look at him as an infidel since he was born to a muslim father but then at some point rejected islam and "embraced" christianity. Will that be more trouble for our country? :confused:

Here - link to their website:

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

As for the rest - for those for whom it will be a problem - they would have as much of a problem with a woman, or a Baptist, or anyone else for that matter. The "connection" with Louis Farrakhan is shaky - a magazine launched by the pastor of his church gave him an award, presumably for his work in rehabilitating criminals.

Here - link to their website:

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

As for the rest - for those for whom it will be a problem - they would have as much of a problem with a woman, or a Baptist, or anyone else for that matter.

This is not meant to sound hostile but I know it will. In strict muslim countries, i.e. Saudi Arabia, ones we do lots of "talking" with, muslims who leave islam are killed. Women and Christians living in those countries are severly oppressed but not usually killed unless caught proselytizing or accused of some crime against sharia law. So I think there is a significant level of difference between how Obama may be perceived by some over some of the other candidates. Again, not meant to be inflammatory, but I just don't think the majority of our country really gets it. We are not electing a homecoming king, we need a seasoned leader for these troubled times.

This is not meant to sound hostile but I know it will. In strict muslim countries, i.e. Saudi Arabia, ones we do lots of "talking" with, muslims who leave islam are killed. Women and Christians living in those countries are severly oppressed but not usually killed unless caught proselytizing or accused of some crime against sharia law. So I think there is a significant level of difference between how Obama may be perceived by some over some of the other candidates. Again, not meant to be inflammatory, but I just don't think the majority of our country really gets it. We are not electing a homecoming king, we need a seasoned leader for these troubled times.

OK, I will bow out here. This (to me) seems dangerously close to violating the "no politics" rule. I am sure there are plenty of people who disagree with your characterization.