Menu

Nightmare MOB thread for fun.

HS Mom in NC

46 minutes ago, Quill said:

What do you think of this choice? It works for MoB *or* wedding guest. I could re-wear it to my niece’s wedding a month after dd’s. It has that cutaway neck that I like. 
Also, I’m sure there is no photoshopping going on in this photo and her measurements are actually 42x19x48. 

Seems a little matronly. The short red one with the plunging neckline is more youthful and vibrant.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

Thanks for the invite. Yes, dh and I will be there.

Would your dd mind awfully much if we also renew our vows during her wedding? As long as you're paying for all the food, decor, and facilities, and have a preacher and photographer booked, it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience to add five minutes at the end, right? We'd also pitch in a $20 to help cover some of the cost. 

Thanks ever so much!

IRL, something not terribly different from this happened at my wedding. My SIL said, basically, “Since we’re all dressed nicely and all my kids are in suits, have the photographer do several shots of our families.” I was too naive and inexperienced to object. So for however many precious minutes *I* was paying for the photographer at *my* wedding, she was busily arranging all my in-laws into family groups and taking their pictures. 

Of all the many ways I regret my lack of guidance in planning my wedding, that is the one that still rankles 26 years later. I have terribly few photos of dh and I together on our wedding day, because we stuck to tradition and did not see each other before the ceremony (they didn’t do “first look” back then, or I wasn’t aware of that idea). Then, after the ceremony, my photographer was monopolized by my SIL for the short window of time during which we should have gotten a bunch of couples pictures. Doh.

• Sad 5

Renewal Music with a video screen showing pics and videos of me and husband, mostly me, and a few of daughter thrown in here and there.

Reception:  Parents of the Bride Dance (This should be a thing.  I’ll start a trend.) with us dancing to this music by Trace Adkins, again, in keeping with the country theme.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

Thanks for the invite. Yes, dh and I will be there.

Would your dd mind awfully much if we also renew our vows during her wedding? As long as you're paying for all the food, decor, and facilities, and have a preacher and photographer booked, it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience to add five minutes at the end, right? We'd also pitch in a $20 to help cover some of the cost. 

Thanks ever so much!

If anyone is going to insert herself into the limelight of this wedding, it's going to be, hon. Humph!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

Ooh ... this one is flattering too.

Can’t decide.

http://www.lornasixsmith.com/wolf-model-sheeps-clothing/

Sure, if you're pregnant or postpartum. It really works with a baby bump silhouette. Obviously the ready wear version would have the belly bump left unstuffed to cover a fluctuating belly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

Ok, I'll give you $40 and bring the turkey legs myself. Final offer, or we're not coming!

Turkey legs are tacky anyway. This is a very chic wedding. Stay home and watch for the pics on my FB feed for all I care and if you don't "like" each one I'm unfriending you then giving all my MLM friends your contact info.

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, SusanC said:

You aren't going to impose am RSVP on us, are you? That is such a hassle and surely you will be able to squeeze in a few extra people? Thanks so much!

Not only must you RSVP by the end of the week, you must attend a bridal shower with gift in hand from an expensive registry, a bachelorette party in Vegas for a long weekend, and buy only gifts off the registry at an over priced store.

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Turkey legs are tacky anyway. This is a very chic wedding. Stay home and watch for the pics on my FB feed for all I care and if you don't "like" each one I'm unfriending you then giving all my MLM friends your contact info.

Fine! We'll just go to Quill's wedding instead!

Hrumph! After all I've done for you....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Carolina Wren said:

If it's October, Halloween attire is automatically appropriate, right? Maybe my family will be a cow, a sheep, and a goat for a casual look that will be perfect for her scenic location.

Bow ties on the guys, too. I mean, it is a special day.

MMmmmmm no,  this is a classy affair, not a nativity play or trick or treating.  If you're going to show up, have good taste: bedazzle it, feather it, light it up, trim it in monkey fur,  whatever, just make an effort.

• Haha 5

59 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

My goodness y’all. I’m thinking of how much fun it would be to plan a nightmare mother of the bride party (mock wedding/reception) and attend with all y’all.

When my older two were young I hosted the annual Valentine's Day Tea Party at my house.  We exchanged valentines, had high tea, and the invitation clearly stated,  "It's not possible to overdress for this event.  So the girls came in everything from their Sunday dresses to princess costumes to flower girl dresses.  There were tiaras, gloves, feather boas, hats, etc. We had fun with that. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

When my older two were young I hosted the annual Valentine's Day Tea Party at my house.  We exchanged valentines, had high tea, and the invitation clearly stated,  "It's not possible to overdress for this event.  So the girls came in everything from their Sunday dresses to princess costumes to flower girl dresses.  There were tiaras, gloves, feather boas, hats, etc. We had fun with that. 

Awww! You were the Fun Mom! 

I didn’t ever do a Valentine’s Tea, but I was all in on making sleepovers as much fun as I could manage. This usually meant that I didn’t impose bedtimes and let they eat and drink sugary things ad nauseam. There were a couple of parents who forbade it. They picked their kids up at nine, before havoc had a chance to settle in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

IRL, something not terribly different from this happened at my wedding. My SIL said, basically, “Since we’re all dressed nicely and all my kids are in suits, have the photographer do several shots of our families.” I was too naive and inexperienced to object. So for however many precious minutes *I* was paying for the photographer at *my* wedding, she was busily arranging all my in-laws into family groups and taking their pictures. 

Of all the many ways I regret my lack of guidance in planning my wedding, that is the one that still rankles 26 years later. I have terribly few photos of dh and I together on our wedding day, because we stuck to tradition and did not see each other before the ceremony (they didn’t do “first look” back then, or I wasn’t aware of that idea). Then, after the ceremony, my photographer was monopolized by my SIL for the short window of time during which we should have gotten a bunch of couples pictures. Doh.

My sil didn't even ask - she just grabbed the photographer and had him to shooting pictures of her family at 2dd's wedding.  (eta:  I wasn't there when she grabbed him.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

My sil didn't even ask - she just grabbed the photographer and had him to shooting pictures of her family at 2dd's wedding.  (eta:  I wasn't there when she grabbed him.)

Its such bad manners. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Quill said:

Awww! You were the Fun Mom! 

I didn’t ever do a Valentine’s Tea, but I was all in on making sleepovers as much fun as I could manage. This usually meant that I didn’t impose bedtimes and let they eat and drink sugary things ad nauseam. There were a couple of parents who forbade it. They picked their kids up at nine, before havoc had a chance to settle in. 

I confess this is one of my parenting goals and this is one of the ways I do it. 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lynn said:

I guess i don't have to think about being MOB, my daughter says she's just getting a dog😅.  

My DD used to say the same, only she wanted LOTS of dogs and cats. 

Now she wants a gamer husband who loves animals. They shall have many birds and cats and perhaps one adopted daughter. Also, she'll wear a pink wedding dress and have a pool party reception. 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Okay, I found it. Iconic. Throwback. Perfect for a wedding. All in one dress

And my husband shall wear this

(Don't mean to outshine anyone, but I've got to be me.)

For one brief, flu-fever crazed week a few years ago, I watched Say Yes to the Dress almost nonstop. I swear some of the most expensive dresses looked quite a bit like that. I was like ????

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, MercyA said:

My DD used to say the same, only she wanted LOTS of dogs and cats. 

Now she wants a gamer husband who loves animals. They shall have many birds and cats and perhaps one adopted daughter. Also, she'll wear a pink wedding dress and have a pool party reception. 🙂 

My oldest's life goal is to marry a rich lesbian who owns a small house in the woods and have multiple ferrets and Newfoundland dogs.  Which seems, to me, at odds with the "living in a small house" thing, but what do I know?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My oldest's life goal is to marry a rich lesbian who owns a small house in the woods and have multiple ferrets and Newfoundland dogs.  Which seems, to me, at odds with the "living in a small house" thing, but what do I know?

LOL. One of my friends in high school lived in a small house packed to the gills with rescued cats and dogs. I LOVED it. 

Let's hope the ferrets and Newfies get along!

And, oh, yes, I should have added that my DD's gamer husband will preferably be a celebrity (and presumably rich). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lynn said:

I guess i don't have to think about being MOB, my daughter says she's just getting a dog😅.  

That would be a better financial decision, I gotta say.

1 hour ago, livetoread said:

For one brief, flu-fever crazed week a few years ago, I watched Say Yes to the Dress almost nonstop. I swear some of the most expensive dresses looked quite a bit like that. I was like ????

What I took away from that show is that I like cheap wedding dresses and the kind of wedding dresses sold to lesbians.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Its such bad manners. 

She's done worse to her own daughters - I think she flirts along the narcissism spectrum.

At her dd's bridal shower - (VERY large group, bride was set off on the side by herself so every one could have an unobstructed view while she opened presents.)  sil pulled up a chair next to bride, whipped out a wad of $1 bills, and insists bride must guess what is in each gift before she's allowed to open it.  If she guesses correctly, she can have $1.  I was dumbfounded.

At her (different) dd's twin baby shower - she tried to do the exact same thing, but someone grabbed her and pulled her into another room to talk while the mom-to-be opened her gifts and enjoyed being center stage.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, lynn said:

1dd has a house and two dogs - she still would like to get married.  She also wants to elope.  Or at least have a *very small* (immediately family only) wedding.  No reception so she doesn't have to deal with relatives.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

And clearly, jeans are perfect for a barn wedding. But not any old jeans. There must be bling.

i think I’ll wear these with my teal Gucci cowboy boots. The back pockets are too plain, though. I may have to dig out my Bedazzler and remedy that.

but I don’t know what top to wear. Western shirts seem so frumpy. Any suggestions?

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Emba said:

And clearly, jeans are perfect for a barn wedding. But not any old jeans. There must be bling.

i think I’ll wear these with my teal Gucci cowboy boots. The back pockets are too plain, though. I may have to dig out my Bedazzler and remedy that.

but I don’t know what top to wear. Western shirts seem so frumpy. Any suggestions?

This? 

https://www.sweaternova.com/products/womens-cami-tops-solid-sleeveless-spaghetti-rhinestones-party-cropped-tops-lc256949?variant=32836279533647&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA_US_0120_CA_ALL&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6t6ABhDMARIsAONIYyzq_O98Fr8j-p0qDNffUq0wY4oig6_sNqEcmjJscMrPzVAbzsMO4O4aAoN-EALw_wcB

• Like 3

9 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Yes, I think that will be perfect!

oh, and also, I know you said family was invited, and I do plan to bring my DH and three kids, but also, a friend and her five kids are going to be in town that weekend. They don’t know the bride, so they won’t attend the wedding, but they’ll drop by for the reception. I feel as their hostess it would be just too rude to leave them alone all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Honey, Western shirts are ANYTHING but frumpy! https://www.dantonleather.com/Queens-5.html Said by the woman who needs to get going on blinging out a bunch of Wrangler shirts for royalty!

Well, the real me does not find western shirts frumpy. The me who would wear hideously bedazzled crop jeans and bling encrusted Gucci boots to a wedding is the one who finds them frumpy.

• Like 1

And now I'm seeing ads on other sites I'm reading for Quill's dresses plus these outfits. I'm so glad I don't share a computer. Even for the "normal" clothes, my family would wonder why I'm looking at evening wear. I think I have removed everything from my Amazon page, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2