Menu

Live Online Classes with Cameras On/Required Participation?

Replying to another recent post got me thinking...

While all of my children prefer synchronous classes (much more engaging), I'm starting to feel like my 10th grader needs to have classes that require her to have her camera on (or some other mechanism to keep her focused and accountable). Otherwise, she zones off easily. Yes, I can confiscate phones, limit website browsing, etc., but not only do I not want to go that route for this child she could stare at a wall distractedly for hours so those measures wouldn't work. 

Does anyone have recommendations for online live classes that fit this criteria? 

• Like 1

hmm, well, when we did Wilson Hill you could have the camera on, but often that caused issues with buffering (? correct word?) so they sometimes would have to turn them off.  

Hopefully someone else can suggest another provider. I can tell you TPS has no video whatsoever.

• Like 1

Thanks! Right now we primarily use TPS and WTMA. Other providers without cameras that we've used include CLRC, AA, AOPS, and OpenTent,

The only ones we've found so far with cameras on are Outschool (eldest takes many interest-based classes there, but I don't use the platform for any core subjects as I'd like something more rigorous), HSA (younger two use this), and CWK.

I agree, incorporating student cams leads to bandwidth issues like you mention. Consequently, I am open to non-cam courses that use instructional methods that require constant focus 🙂 

My boys take classes through Shole Academy and they require the cameras to be on.  My son took a class through MP Online Academy last year and the teacher did not require the students to have their cameras, which was not good for my inattentive kid.  I heard it varies by teacher with MPOA.

• Like 2

I can't think of any among the secular providers other than Outschool. And even at Outschool, you can turn it on for verification and then turn it off.

Lol. As I was typing this, my kid is in a breakout room for his class and I just heard him hassle another student that he really had to turn his camera on.

• Haha 1

I was reading the course description for Algebra 1 from Blue Tent and I noticed it said cameras had to be on for the live class. That surprised me as our experience with WTMA and MPOA did not involve regular use of cameras. 

It has been many years since we have had a class from AIM Academy and I don’t remember the details but a friend who had taken classes from AIM recently signed up for a class with MPOA and was really surprised/upset the students weren’t on camera. So maybe look into AIM Academy?