Menu

Have any of you used fabric dye lately?

It’s been years since I used fabric dye (aside from tie dying). I need a costume piece to be a darker color. I know the instructions will tell me to do it in the washing machine. But I remember using a 5 gallon paint bucket. 

I’d rather use my washing machine, but don’t want to wreck the machine or dye other clothing by accident. Please tell me how you’ve done it. 

I haven’t but I’ve definitely been thinking about it. I have a shirt I love that’s not quite the right color. I’m not going to use an HE washing machine to dye anything. I’ll probably use an old bucket or plastic container. It’s low on my project list though. 

• Like 1

I have done both. I used Navy RIT dye to dye a linen skirt. I feel that is most effective to do it in a pot of simmering water on the stove.  The washing machine method didn't get as dark.  My washing machine  fared just fine. I washed a lot of white towels next and they all came out white.

• Like 2

It’s a long full skirt. Don’t think I want to sacrifice my gumbo pot to do it on the stove top, but I have vague memories of my mother doing it that way!

eta I really want to use the washer because I don’t have a lot of time to fuss over it and that seems like the quickest option 

Edited by Seasider too
1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

It’s a long full skirt. Don’t think I want to sacrifice my gumbo pot to do it on the stove top, but I have vague memories of my mother doing it that way!

eta I really want to use the washer because I don’t have a lot of time to fuss over it and that seems like the quickest option 

You can always get a cheap big pot at Walmart or a thrift store. Or amazon.  It doesn't need to be good quality or evenly heated or even aluminum free if you're only going to use it for dye.

• Like 1

Yes, I recently did a couple long, full skirts in the washing machine with denim blue Rit dye. They came out just fine and I really didn't even need to do anything special to clean my washer--I just followed the instructions on the Rit website (bleach wash with old towels after dying is finished). No one would ever be able to tell I used the machine for dying, and mine has lots of white plastic interior parts. I used the Rit dye fixative as well and am happy with the results. (Next time I'd use Navy, though.)

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Yes, I recently did a couple long, full skirts in the washing machine with denim blue Rit dye. They came out just fine and I really didn't even need to do anything special to clean my washer--I just followed the instructions on the Rit website (bleach wash with old towels after dying is finished). No one would ever be able to tell I used the machine for dying, and mine has lots of white plastic interior parts. I used the Rit dye fixative as well and am happy with the results. (Next time I'd use Navy, though.)

Yay! Just what I was hoping to hear! Thank you!

• Like 1