Menu

Ugh--left out raw chicken breast--would you keep it?

sbgrace

I'm shopping every two weeks, so I'm buying a lot. I just noticed a bag with a pack of raw chicken breast I didn't notice when putting all the many things away. It sat in the basement at maybe 65 degrees. I'm not sure when I got home--but I'd say around 4 hours ago. 

If it doesn't smell, do you think it would be safe to cook in the pressure cooker tonight and then maybe freeze?

I hate to waste it, but I'd rather waste it than be sick. 

I don’t think I would keep it if it felt room temperature.  If it still felt cold I think I would.

I tend to think I wouldn’t keep it, but 65 is cooler than I usually have and maybe it would seem like the chicken didn’t warm up too much.  

I think it would depend some on how cold it was at the store.  I buy chicken sometimes that I think was frozen or almost frozen before it was set out by the store that morning.  

Then other times the chicken seems like it is not frozen at all when I buy it, and not even very cold. 

If I thought the chicken was very cold when I bought it I would be more likely to keep it.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I can never tell if chicken is good or bad by sniffing - there's some weird hormonal interference, so some times of the month it almost always smells good no matter what, and others it almost always smells bad no matter what.

And with that in mind, there's no way I'd trust left out chicken. I, personally, cannot tell if it's good or bad - and I'm not going to risk it if I can't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

And with that in mind, there's no way I'd trust left out chicken. I, personally, cannot tell if it's good or bad - and I'm not going to risk it if I can't.

That's how I feel.  It might be fine, but it's not worth the risk.  4 hours at 65 degrees is too long for me and I wouldn't be comfortable eating or serving it.  The recommendation is no longer than 2 hours above 40 degrees.  

• Like 3

I’ve had to make decisions like that in the past. If you’re not destitute with no way to eat at all, then toss it. The only way I’d eat it, is if we were absolutely going to go hungry for days without it.  

I know it’s money down the drain, but I have a good imagination and don’t want to be doubled over with knife-pains in my stomach and all the kids puking everywhere. If it’s between losing money and knife-pain and puke, I’ll choose losing money.

I’d toss it and replace it. And if you can’t afford more chicken this week, then I’d eat a bunch of spaghetti in its place.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Nopity-nope-nope! I've had food poisoning twice. Both times required a visit to the hospital to get rehydrated by IV and get meds to stop the hours and hours of vomiting to dry heaves stage. It is an experience that is SOOOO NOT fun (that includes an expensive hospital visit) that I toss all food even when there is only a slim chance of it having gone bad. Seriously, the horribleness of food poisoning is NOT worth trying to save the small cost of re-buying a pack of chicken -- or the inconvenience in a pandemic of having to break down and go an extra time to the store, sooner than your usual once every 2 weeks.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Sadly I'd pitch it. In my 20s one of my roommates made chicken that was out on the counter too long and I was the only one of 6 roommates who didn't eat it, even though it smelled delicious.

The next day, I was the only one who didn't get sick. Not worth the risk!

• Like 1